• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice thickness?

jjjrobley

Question

Does anybody know how thick the ice needs to be for a retractable fishhouse it weighs 2100' 6.5x14 pulled with a four wheeler?

3 answers to this question

That is a tough question to have an arbitrary answer for. Only you can decide when it is prudent to put your house out, as there are so many variables to consider such as, current areas, snow loads, and the composition of the ice itself.

Here is a link that I have posted in other years that has some excellent information regarding ice strength and safety.

http://www.crrel.usace.army.mil/ierd/ice_safety/safety.html

jjjrobley,

"Gissert" is very right. However I can say from experience I have probably pushed the limit when it comes to that. Back in 1996 I drove across the lake pulling about a 1500-lb fishouse behind about a 2500-lb mazda pickup the day before thanksgiving. NO LIE about 8 inches of ice but good ice with no slush. Last year I helped my dad put out his house with my 4-wheeler and his house about 2000-lb on about 4-5 inches of ice and the ice didn't flood or anything. Again though it was very good ice with no slush or anything. Hope this helps or at least you'll think I'm crazy.