• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any one been out on grand latly. Wre planning on putting prems out this weekend. Just wondering about ice thickness. Hope its good.

Rip I was on grand on sunday afternoon there was 8 1/2 inches then.I plan on putting mine out Saturday after noon my self. I will still use the wheeler to get it out though. I have an old tent camper with an american flag on it. I will be going out from McGreegor rd. stop and say Hi. Nels

Going out from the old bar with 2 perm 1on wheels and skiding 1 out. We should be to not far from you if you are going in same spot ithink. Ice should be esy 10 by sat.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We'll be using a wheeler to set a house out on Sat also.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could give a first timer out to grand a little help and tell me where the best access to reach the lake is at. I will be walking so I kinda of want a heads up before I start meandering around to find where I want to go. I plan to hit it on friday afternoon because I got work off!! Anyone else going to be out there drop me a line maybe we can meet up.

The walk out from either access is about the same to the deeper water. I shouldn't call the bend off Grand Lake rd an access because it isn't but its used as one. I'll be out Fri afternoon. Take a look at the lake map on the DNR site. You'll get an idea of lake depths and areas to fish. You'll need to do a little investigation with a sounder to get onto a break or deep water. As a side note I should add that you don't have to be in the deeper water or the break to get into eyes on Grand but its where I like to start looking.

Surface Tension,

Thanks for the info. I should be out by 1:30 or 2:00 tomorrow I will be the loneranger with all tan carhardts on and tuggin' a blue sled. I will keep a eye out for you also. Hopefully the fish cooperate because lately they haven't for me. Also, I will take your side note to heart. Good Luck!

If I see you I'll stop by and if you can stick around for the afternoon late bite.

UMDWalleyeGuy, did you get out? Windy and cold so after I got the Otter setup I didn't venture out to often.

Vehicles are driving out on what I'd guess to be 12" of ice. Fished in 10' of water and took home a 16" eye and 3 nice crappies. All fell to a 1/8 Go Devil tipped with a minnow head.

I just moved to the area and made my first trip out on Grand on Sat. Managed to catch 5 hammerhandles with tip-ups which is a great day in my opinion. Are the pike in Grand generally on the smaller side? Based on your experiences do the smaller pike hang out with fish their own size or are they mixed up? Thanks again to the fella in the dune buggy that gave me and my stuff a lift back to the landing. Saved me a long walk.

EL I put my house out sat After noon in about 14 fow There are large northern in the lake Last year we caught 8/9 over 7lb. I cant answer the other ? for you. we got 2 larger Crapies and a Walleye. Nels.

EL welcome to the area. There are a lot of small pike on Grand, its always been that way but there are bigger pike as well. If I was to setup for pike I'd get on the edge of the weeds which should have a break to go along with it. You'll find eyes, pike, crappies and perch using the same area.

Sorry about the late reponse Surface tension, it was a cold windy beast on friday only managed 1 pike and about 4 misses. Didn't fish by the shantie town on the west side of the lake. I forgot the lake map so I was kinda shootin' in the dark, oh well might hit grand again this friday. You gonna head back out there this weekend? I was thinkin maybe Fish Lk. too.

Good luck on the ice

UMDWalleyeGuy

UMDWalleyeGuy, why don't go to the Fish Lake get together on Sunday.

Went out with the house sat afternoon. Fished until 530. perch northern and nice crapies 1hour bite.Sunday not so good bass 1 crapie and nice northern saw one big walleye half way down. Oh well Good day to watch the game. Nels didnt notice your house but Im in the new one with the pitched roof east end of the long line. Back out sat tan chev. good luck.

Sound like a few house out on Grand, I want to put my house out, how much ice are people driving trucks out from McGreager road ? I was out last year in a buddys house, I don't have a plow on my truck who keeps the road open ? Like to put my house out on Thursday afternoon.

Joe, theres around 12" of ice and they're driving off McGregor and GL road. The roads are plowed by folks with houses and if they move or pull their shack off your on your own. I don't know how they'd feel if you knocked on their door and offered something for their efforts to keep your route open. I'd only guess that they would appreciate your gesture.

Hi Rip I think I noticed your house. Im not far from it. I have an American flag on the front of it. I can't fish till Sunday. My friend Mike will be out sat afternoon.

If I can get away early enough I will go to fish lake for the get together. if any one's going what chanel will be use for the hand helds. Nels

Nels we will be on straight 7 or just call my cell. E-mail me and Ill give ya my number.

I will have a 4 wheeler so I will come pick ya up.

Nels should be out sat later in the morn then for the whole day . going to try for those slabs again. who knows. big thing is to try to keep the bass off.

• 2 months later...

Anyone still fishing Grand? I'm looking for a new lake now that people have stopped plowing Chub.