• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka ice

From the Gray's Bay causeway, yacht club, and Wayzata town you can see that the center of Wayzata Bay in front of Woodland is still open and steaming. But over in front of Wayzata town it's locked up all the way out to Breezy Point, hard to tell exactly how far, then more open water around Spirit Island and out into the big space in Brown's Bay. Got to believe it's close to closing up in WB with the cold we're having.

A big portable was on the ice in front of Wayzata by the railroad embankment where the water is deep close to shore. Props to the big-huevos who got out first, and if you're listening let us know how it went.

ice

I saw someone out in a portable in front of the Cook's Bay access last evening and also someone in the middle of Spring Park Bay. I'm really curious to know how much ice is out there. Black Lake was closed up days before Spring Park was but I haven't seen anyone on Black Lake. I just don't want to be the first one out there. wink.gif

I'm just waiting for the weekend. The west end has been ice covered for a week now but I have already joined the polar bear club. Been there, done that and I do not want to repeat it. By Friday we should be plenty safe.

Hopefully the larger bays will make a couple of inches of good ice before the snow that's forcasted for Saturday. I've been getting my fix on a metro lake that has some areas of good ice. Tonight I got 2-14's and 1-19 inch eye. Had two more that got off. I thought I was going to get a limit. 1/8 ounce perch glow devil with a minnow head.

Hello,

I'm new to the west metro. What areas are there on Lake Minnetonka to get access to the lake? I drove around the lake one time this summer but it didn't look like there were too many access points. Any info will help and specific directions would be even better!

Thanks!

Spoke with a great old gentleman fishing for pike just out from the roadway access near the Yacht club on Wayzata Bay this am. He was out just past the weed edge in 20 FOW and had 5 inches of ice, no hits after 1/2 hr but he did not care.......he was fishin. Some others had ventured out along the east side weed edge in the early am but were already gone. The middle just iced over a day or two ago, so I would stay close to the weed edge for now. Unfortunately the ice may be safe enough to drive on before I get a chance to get out...... frown.gif

Saw one in the same spot on Cook's and the same spot on Spring Park. There were 4 trucks parked between Black lake and Spring Park but I could only see the one house. A guy at Champion Auto said there were 3 houses out earlier and I think he said 4" of ice with some soft spots to watch out for. I just overheard this conversation but now I wish I would've asked if they knew anymore. Oh well, I think Saturday will be the day for me.

West end is good to go. Checked several spots looks to be 4" or more. Safe for walking but with the snow cover there has to be soft spots around. Saw several portables out on midlake structure. And away we go...........!

WB looks good out to the middle area where the new ice is obvious. I haven't seen anybody venture out into that new ice on the west side of WB over toward Wayzata. Eight or ten of us fished in the yacht club area last night, seemed a lot colder than it was supposed to be. My beer froze pretty quick. Couple marks after perch-time, one bump, no joy for me though I did see a small walleye caught and heard a couple of other portable-muffled whoops. Don't much care, I was standing on it. Ice I was on was 4", no more. Just grabbed 18' off the weedline maybe a hundred yards out from the Yacht Club access, didn't work too hard to find fish or structure.

Ice

Was out about chasing panfish. Lots of sunnies and perch some decent most not. Ice ranged from 6" to 3". Saw quite a few snowmobilers. One guy hauled out a permanent with an ATV. Fun day to be but there out soft and thin spots out there so be careful.

Mille Lacs was windy--wrestled up the portables and thanks to some screw-in anchors got settled in about 20'south of Garrison Bay. Wind provided a nice backrest in my Clam. We took three walleyes Saturday night, one a beautiful 24" for a flash-and-splash and a couple more eaters, as well as a dozen or so eater perch up to about 10" and my big walleye of the night turned out to be a big pout. Sunday morning no wind but cold and finicky fish continued, took a few perch and saw a couple of limits of walleyes on the camera that sniffed the jigs then gave us the fin and moved on. Trucks on the bay ice, especially Garrison bay, but I was augering only about 9" of ice south of there so it's still tentative walking and atv'ing most spots.

ice

I explored the lower east side of the lake on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings of this weekend. Since my typical early ice locations were crawling with people, I tried a couple of brand new spots that looked good on a map and was rewarded with fish at each location. The first night the walleyes were small, but the second night we had three between 19 and 21 inches. It sure felt good to get out again, and to find a spot without a crowd. I also had 5.5-6.5 inches of ice everywhere I drilled.

Was out on Gideons Bay & there was 3-5" with some spots that were obviously new ice at 1.5" stayed away from those spots. Missed a few good fish and lots fo perch caught. Great to be back on the hardwater.

There were a couple of guys walking all the way out to the south side of Gale Isl. & also some fishing off of Sunrise Pt. with two perm. on Sunrise Pt. I'm assuming that their perms.were really light.

Good Luck,

Chris

I fished Sat. afternoon for a couple hours on Black Lake, targeting panfish; didn't catch anything but I stayed close to shore. I ventured towards the 25' hole but was nervous about the ice as there appeared to be sketchy areas. Estimated 3 inches of ice in some areas.

I haven't fished 'Tonka much and would like to target some 'eyes. Not looking for any honey holes but if someone could tell me what depth the weedline is, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing around 15-18 FOW but haven't fished it enough to know.

Sunday at about 4:30 pm a small car DRIVING! around the edge of I think it's Browns bay. the unofficial access on 15 N of old Pauls landing. Unbelievable. crazy.gif

Early ice walleyes key on the 17 to 20ft depths. What you need to find is a transition from hard to soft bottom at that depth. Weedline stops at 15ft during ice time. Perch will be hanging around those areas. Take a panfish rod and some eurolarvae (smaller than waxies) and see if you can catch small perch. If you do and all the above lines up you now have a walleye spot.

walked out Sunday aftn from excelsior park pressure ridge on the ballfild side looked real bad but the beach area was fine walked out to the NEW ice past the broken up stuff new holes and 6 hard iinches of black ice and 4 wheeler tracks and those permanent houses on sunrise aren't very small

going out friday .. have to get my *** together

Hey Pass, There are lots of access points to Minnetonka. Grays, Maxwell, North Arm, Spring Park, Wayzata,Excelsior, the West end and more, all have places to drive on or park and walk or snowmobile out. Look at your Hotspots map and the landings are all there. Plus, in the winter there are several places to drive on right from the roads. Those you can find just by repeating your drive around. Good Luck... Just use common sense and don't drive through narrows or under bridges.

Anyone been out since the snow started? Hows the ice holding up? Looking to go out tomorrow afternoon for some walleye.

Cubbies

Rode the sled out today, quite a few small ridges w/flooding on the main lake...most of the snow has blown off the main lake areas.

I went out on Cook's Bay last night. There were some slushy spots and pulling the portable full of gear was a workout. There was close to 2" of water on the ice after I drilled my holes but there was still 5" of ice. The walleyes were not cooperating for me.

Be very wary of the ice conditions on Tonka. Use extra caution around Islands, Points and Channels. I saw one sled in the drink last night. Last sunday night they pulled three trucks from the lake at the red bridge access. IMHO, don't take the sled or 4 wheeler to spots not checked first on foot.

As for fishing, the eye gods have been good to me. Many fish in the 10-12 range during early evening with the bigger fish on the bite into the night. Iced a 17 on monday and an 18 and 20 on tuesday. Nothing beats a full moon, falling baramoter and 6" of ice!

Any more info for us NT? Depth, lure, bait, structure?? No need to give away your spots, just trying to figure out where and what to try next.

I plan on slaying some eyes on Tonka this weekend smirk.gif. Anyone have an ice report for Wayzata? I drove around once last week and there were people all the way out to Breezy point. I got a couple small eyes and a pike last night on another lake, but I'm looking for big ones. Pulling the portable in wet snow was brutal. I thought I was going to need a defribulator.

Anybody been out in the western section of Crystal Bay around the channel to North Arm?

Hit Wayzata Bay this evening and just saw a few sniffers down there without any bites. Had one northern on a tip-up - that's it. Probably 5-6"'s of ice, with water on top. Some guys we walked past on the way back said they had caught a couple, but we were skunked. Caught a couple a few nights earlier in the same spot, so just must have been a slow night.

dan

Best depth been 18-20' rock/sand breaks. #4 or #6 teardrop shaped chartruse glow jigs with a big eye in the center has been good. Tip w/the head of a fatty. I like to have a big lively chub or shiner in a hole near where i'm jig'n. Minnow shaped lures been slow. Tip-up's been slow with shiners but some fish. Don't like tip-ups w/fatty cause of perch bite. LOL.