• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Directions From Mankato via Brainerd

We're heading for High Banks for our annual ice fishing trip and I'm looking for some suggestions on the best way to get to Winnie from Mankato. We're picking-up a guy at the Brainerd airport so we'll need to include that in the plan.

From what I could tell the best route to Brainerd is probably through St. Cloud, but I've been wrong with directions before. I'm really having a hard time with which way to go out of Brainerd, either 169 to the east or 371 to the west. Last year we picked our way through a scenic route of backroads that felt like a go-cart track. On the map it sure looked like a direct route, there must have been a sweet deal on curves when they were building that road.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

94 North

Clear Lake Exit to Hwy 10

North on 10 until you get on the North Side of Little Falls

Stay in the Right Lane and take 371 N to Brainerd/Baxter

Stay on 371 North through Baxter/Nisswa/Hackensack/Walker/Cass Lake

When you get to Cass Lake take a right on Hwy 2(East)

Winnie is about 15-20 miles east of Cass Lake

This is one way I come back from the Twin Cities, there may be a faster route going North out of Mankato...I know a faster/shorter way to Bemidji, but that wouldn't help you on this trip....

Good Luck,

It has been COLD up the last week so we made some real good ice........

Beef

I live in mankato and have gone either through hutch, to brainerd, 371 through walker to Hgy 2 to bena. I have also gone through the cities to 169, to deer river and then over. I like the way through brainerd, seems like going through the cities can add some time depending on traffic.

I occasionally take 169 when I want a different drive and want to check what is happening on Mille Lacs, but 10/371 is definitely the best way to go. When you get to the south side of Walker, it would be shorter to take 200 east and then go north on 8 to Bena. 8 is a much better road than what it looks like on the map - not as highly traveled as 371 into Cass Lake, but paved, smooth and not a whole lot of curves.

Greetings from High Banks!!

Being from LeSueur originally, the route we usually take is:

Take Hwy 169 north to Henderson turnoff, Hwy 93 will bring you into Henderson. Take Hwy 19 west out of Henderson to Cty Road 9 and Cty Road 9 turns into Cty Road 1. Continue on this road which will take you through Lester Prairie, Winstead, into Howard Lake. In Howard Lake take a left at Hwy 12 go approx 3 blocks and take a right on Hwy 6. Follow this across Hwy 55 all the way to Hwy 24 and take a right. This will take you into Clearwater and go straight through 3 miles to Clear Lake. Turn Left on Hwy 10. Follow this to 371. 371 all the way to Brainerd. Once in Brainerd take 210 to the east to get to the airport. (since you are on this side of Brainerd) it is best to continue on 210 which will take you to Crosby and take Hwy 6 to the north. Follow this through Emily, Outing and Remer. Stay on Hwy 6 until you hit the Deer River Shortcut road (Cty Rd 11) which will take you to Hwy 2 just outside of Deer River. Take Hwy 2 to the West and continue through Deer River, just outside of Deer River take Hwy 46 north for 11 miles and then turn left on Cty Rd 9 (Winnie Dam Road) go 5.5 miles and then turn right on Tamarack Point Lane go 3.5 miles and our driveway is on the left.

Thanks for all the help, I really like directions with the word "shortcut" in the name of the road grin.gif

Any thoughts on how long it will take us to get to Brainerd from Mankato? The flight comes in at 10:20 a.m. and we're going to at least try to be on time, thanks again.