• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Be careful out there!

Someone, not thinking, parked on the ice at the West Rush landing Sunday, and dropped it through.

Was out there today... Lots of traffic....Plenty of ice around 5-6 inches....lot of crappies and sunfish... Nothing really big but a lote of fun...It will be a zoo tomorrow.

The zoo is in full force. Tons of portables out there in front the public boat launch. I was happy to be fishing sunfish in the shallow areas away from the crowds. I saw where the vehicle broke through at the launch. This did not stop 4 or 5 vehicles from parking on the ice there. Most places I fished had 6-7 inches of ice.

I fished by Cigar Island yesterday in 28' from 3-6:30pm. Ice was 7" thick. Kept 10 CROPS 8.5-10". Red Fatboys tipped w/tiny CROP minnows and waxies. Did the best a foot UFF-DA bottom. VERY windy! Good thing there was a couple inches of snow on the lake or there would have been portables sliding all over the place. rosspj59...how did you do on the sunnies?

norteastern...No Walleyes...too busy with the CROPS and it was too windy for a tip-up to try for them. The bait shop reported that they were biting good in shallower water. Anyone out there doing any good on Walleyes?

Hanronson, sunnies were biting pretty good in the morning and after 2 pm. Glad to hear there are some decent crappies coming out of the deep not just the 6-7 inchers. Usually I find a few crappies mixed in the sunnies, but I didn't catch any. I did catch quite a few perch too, but none over 8 inches.

Was on West Rush today...couldn't take it anymore and had to get the sleds out. Found a lot of Walleyes in 22 feet of water on a Go-Devil and a minnow head. They bit fast and furious from 3:00 to 4:30 and then they shut down. Moved out into 34 feet of water for Crops. Ended up getting 7 of them between 10-11 inches on a 1/16 Angle Eye Jig suspended below an IceBuster bobber the key seemed to be to have the top of the bober trimmed off to the top of the water line in order to reduce the resistance. They were really biting light.

It felt great to be out on ICE laugh.gif

Paul how thick was the ice today? Im comming down from Duluth on Monday after Christmas. My son and I are going to try for some crapies. I see you are from Egan so is my son Dan. were you at the burntside bash last yr? We may have met you thanks Nels

Ice thickness was anywhere from 7-8 inches.

I was unable to make it to Burntside last year. Give me a holler if you need anything else.

This has been the year of the itsy bitsy teeny weeny walleye on Rush! I have never seen so many 10"- walleyes!

Tired of the size of the walleyes on Rush, we tried a small lake out of Stark this past weekend, what a difference!! Every walleye was between 15" & 20"!! It pays to go looking off the beaten path and avoid the throngs of fisherman competing for the same fish!

Cory Frantzick

Hey Cory!! Where you been? I plan to be up around there all day Fri. give me a call if you want to get out.

I was out on Rush on Tuesday also. Graphed a ton of fish, only caught a few, very light bite. Cory, Is that lake north of horseshoe lake on hogsback road? Just south of rush point road? I am thinking of trying it this year, have always heard stories......................

I almost fell over seeing that you were on here grin.gif

I didn't make it to your neck of the woods last Sunday, But thought about making a special trip over there...being offered a nice cold beverage and all. grin.gif

"hooks"

Having a kid is a blessing! But HOLY buckets do they require alot of time!! Little Miss Emma is a little bit to small to venture out ice fishing. (According to Tracy anyways) So, I will offer reports when I can but they maybe few and far between!

The little lake I can not give any more details on, all I can say is it was by far the best walleye ice fishing I have EVER experinced! Spend some time poking around the lakes down there and you just may find yourself a sweet little honey hole.

I am going to TRY and hit Rush tonight, I will pass on what I learn. From what I have found, and taliing with other people, Rush Is TOUGH this year for keeper walleyes. Lots and Lots of little ones.

Good Luck, and its GREAT to be back among friends on good Old FM!

Cory Frantzick

Did pretty well on tuesday and planning on hitting rush again on sunday afternoon. Just want to know how hard the walking is going to be. Got the wife to agree to a boat, but no luck yet on the wheeler so i'll be hoofing it. Also wondering about parking since This will be my first weekend excursion to rush and i'm going to assume it will be a zoo even with the vikes playing.

So who was it out at West Rush today? It was a maroon Expedition I believe. It was there when I arrived and still there when I left. I ended up catching a few crappies but nothing real big. Still alot of fun to be out. Can you believe they were driving full size vehicles out there? Where I was fishing, there was only about 8-9 inches of ice. You won't catch me driving out for awhile yet.

Maroon Durango would have been Rick and I. We didn't do much either other than talk a lot of fishing with Cory Frantzick. A few small walleyes and a couple of 10 inch crappies. Long day on the ice with not a whole lot to show for it. I couldn't believe they were driving trucks out there either. 10 1/2 inches of ice where we were. Not for me thanks frown.gif

Thanks guys for all the ice reports. I am pulling the permanent out on Friday, and it looks like I need to bring the wheeler too. We usually just set the permanent up as a base camp and bring the portables for the serious fishing.

That's it,! I have made an executive decision and this is my lake- the lake I am going to LEARN!!!!!. Winter, spring, summer, and fall. Reason for- multi-species lake, easy to get to, close to home (40 min. drive), and my dad has a house on it (base camp).

So if anyone of you see a red kawasaki prairie, green and gold chevy extended cab long box with a grandpa topper, or a triton fs-190 on the lake come over and say hi. Don't be afraid to give me any tips or hints, I am open to anything!

I feel better now, thanks.

See you on West Rush!

Well got the Hillbilly Hilton out on West Rush today, and thought I would get in a little fishing. Wow, what a population of little walleyes. The buddy and I caught 23 in two hours. That doesn't even count the one sunnie, and numerous perch also caught. In a couple of years there should be a great population of walleyes in this lake.

was out there today and found some sun fish- just a few. One really nice one. switched to tip ups and not one flag, really slow, or just in the wrong spot. I was fishing east of lindstrom point in about 33 feet of water and found the sunnies, fished in the bay west of lindstrom point in 6-10 feet of water for the slimers.

I'll have to keep trying.

• 3 weeks later...

How's the ice? Anyone been trying to drive out lately? I've done fairly well on the sunfish straight out from the public access in the past.

Was there last Sunday. Nobody's driving automobiles out, just ATVs. About 10 inches of ice only.

Couldn't believe it but there was a guy flying across the lake in a Jeep Grand Cherokee this morning! The amazing thing to me is that they had to drive past the Danger thin ice signs at the acess to get out! I would NOT recomend driving cars or trucks out there, but if you choose to, please please please drive slow!

Cory Frantzick