• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rice lake

Was thinking about heading out to rice maybe friday, just wondering how much ice they have out there and if anybody has been out there fishing, i usually do well out there at first ice out in front of the new access, thanks for any info.

They are out in the bay already spearing and angling, but not too much action past the break. I'm sure some brave souls will be out there this weekend.

Yikes- I was out there Sunday morning. The bay is froze and a few houses BUT, be careful.. We only got out 50-60 yards before we had 2" of ice!! very spotty. By the weekend the bay should be good but not sure about beyond it. We seen one house out on the break on Sunday!! Have no idea how it got out there.. shocked.gif

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I Fished tonight out in the main lake in front of Fishers. Can I say skinny ice I found the ice to run around 3-4 inches max. Its good clear ice but a couple of days of cold weather will definately stiffen it up. There are 2 houses out on Shaumans flats and one brave soul out there besides me ventured to the crappie hole. I fished in numerous depths off of a breakline 8-18 ft and found a few eyes but not alot for size.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well I'll be a while befor I hit some of my spots on Rice then. I get real jumpy with less than 6" ice. But I hope to make it out somewhere in the next 4-5 days.

Quote:

There are 2 houses out on Shaumans flats and one brave soul out there besides me ventured to the crappie hole.

I was that brave soul, that wasnt too bad of a walk except for in the middle of the lake there is a crack that the water is pushing up through. about 2 inches of ice with 2 inches water on top of it for about 10 feet. Once you get out in the main lake you find 5 inches of ice. Did catch some fish, used a do-jigger to catch most of them. wink.gif

Quote:

I was that brave soul, that wasnt too bad of a walk
except for in the middle of the lake there is a crack that the water is pushing up through. about 2 inches of ice with 2 inches water on top of it for about 10 feet.

Ummm...Hmmmm..... No way, no how! I'd be walking back to another spot or the truck. crazy.gif

Crazy?.....possibly. I cant say that I would do it again for a week or so, but I cant say I wont. shocked.gif I think I will try Big lake this weekend, the kid that works at Fishers said there is safer ice out there. And Borch, dont act like I broke some cardinal rule... I took my time crossing and flipped my coin at least eleven times to decide. LOL grin.gif

Quote:

And Borch, dont act like I broke some cardinal rule... I took my time crossing and flipped my coin at least eleven times to decide. LOL
grin.gif

OH.....I your first post you failed to mention the coin flip. That definitely changes things. tongue.gif

On a serious note, It's not a bad idea to throw on a life jacket as you are exploring new ice this time of year. That along with some ice picks and rope. They can make all the difference in the world.

Yeah, I had my ice picks handy, I wouldnt dare going out without them. Seriously on my part, if anyone is thinking about walking around out there, use caution and bring supplies like Borch suggested.

Hey Borch, I noticed that you run up to Red a couple times a year... do you usually get a word of mouth reason or do you watch the posts on that forum to decide when your first time will be? I go up there about three times a winter, and am really getting the itch for the big pond. Just wondering when you start thinking about heading up there!!

Donk

I watch the forums, talk to a few guys I know who guide up there. I also look for any long weekends I have already in my schedule.

There's always crappies biting up there. You just need to stay mobile until you find the mother load!

My wife and I are heading up 1/1 & 1/2 for our first trip this winter. It won't be our last. I'm still trying to fit in the slabfest weekend. That'll be a blast!

6" where we were, guys with wheelers and permanents all over. Still too early for me and my ATV though. I dont feel like getting it off the bottom. Around 10 small eyes, and by small i mean tiny. haha

Was out again last night, the walleyes were mostly lookers from the front that came in today (probably, who ever really knows)... caught five, all under 12 inches, all went back in. Talked to a guy crappie fishing by the "hole", and he caught three and his buddy one for the night. The kid that works at fishers was crusing around on his four wheeler but where I was at, still five inches. The kick in the shorts was that I dropped my cell phone in the hole to end the windy azz day! mad.gif Oh well, maybe next time.