• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

is anyone still going out or is the ice just not safe anymore, i haven't been able to get out lately so any info. would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• AQUAJOE

• metrojoe

Drove by today and lots of people were on the lake. Snowmobiles and fishermen. Looks good if you're walking. Wouldn't drive!

Ole cool.gif

Lee you wuss! cool.gif Best fishin' of the year is before ice out. I'm hoping to get out a few times before the ice gives way.

If I had a nickel for every time someone called me that . . . wink.gif

I know it's the best fishing of the season, but I've got work coming out of my ears and won't see an end until sometime in April. That leaves me lookin' forward to spring tune-up on the boat.

Catch a few for me and rub it in, I can take it. grin.gif

That sucks that you're busy Lee. I'm planning on going out tomorrow and sunday. I have a feeling that this weekend will be my last time out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an ice update? Wondering if I'm being too optimistic to think I could take the boat out there on Sunday, 4/9. Thanks.

DB

I'm pretty sure you could. A large area on the North end by the launch is open and it has pulled away from the east shore aways as well. Plus there are 2 or 3 spots that stretch all the ay across the lake that are open. Once you have that much open water its only a matter of days.

Geez Lee, you just had to beat me to it! wink.gif I'm hoping I'll be able to get the boat out next week.

I drove by at lunchtime and I couldn't see ice anywhere. Bring on the crappies!

Joe beat us both - he took out his duck boat last night and broke up ice. I guess he wanted to be the first on the lake. He also made his April 5 ice out prediction come true, but I think that needs an asterisk. wink.gif

I'm gonna try to get out Sunday if I can get the boat in shape (already got my parking pass).

I wish I could get out this weekend. But it's gonna take a few days to get her cleaned up and running again.

I'm pretty sure I was tha last one on the lake. I went out last thursday after a full day of moving. I was the only one on the lake and had to walk the shorline to find a place to get on. Did ok on the craps. Since I just found this site I haven't been able to post any of my reports so far, but I've been very impressed with the crappies in this lake. I moved here two years ago from Grand Rapids area and was really spoiled up there. I didn't figure out where to get the craps out here till this year. I really don't like following crowds, so I usually try to find my own fish. Very impressed with size. Most I caught were over 8 1/2, with my biggest at just under 14". I found that the smaller fish were usually caught on a jig and minnow or waxie, but once I figured out the #2 pimple with a minnow tail the bigger fish started coming in. I'll make sure to post some picks next year! Also very impressed with some of the pike and bass in this lake

Is the dock in at the launch (or maybe they never take it out)? Thanks.

DB

They take the dock out late fall every year. They usually wait a couple weeks after ice out to put the dock back in.

There is no dock in as of this past Saturday. I was still able to launch just fine without the dock though.

Anybody having any open water sucess for them crappies.Any water temps or general locations.Lookin to maybe hit med. this weekend.

Planning on taking the boat out for the maiden voyage tomorrow. I'll report back if I catch anything.

Hey Med good running into ya yesterday. I will be out on Medicine all day today so if you are around stop out.

Decided to do a little fishing friday and saturday. Fishing was tough friday; I had no problem catching Sunnies, but I couldn't buy a Crappie. Fishing on Saturday was vastly better. I found a weed hump that was kicking out Sunnies in 5' and Crappies in 8'. I also caught a few toothy critters on the weed edge as well.

I was thinking of bringing my 7 yr old son to do some shore fishing, is there a dock in at the park on the east side of the lake? Are there better spots to shore fish from?

Any helpfull info would be great, this will be our first time fishing Medicine.

Thanks in advance,

Ole

There is a dock on the west side near where a creek enters the lake. I have had lots of luck fishing there with both spinning and fly tackle. The fish tend to be a little small, but if your trying to take a kid fishing its all about hooking up and there is plenty of oportunity to do that. The dock is in west medicine lake park.

Once the fish move into the creek I have the best luck with a #12-#14 bead headed fly it doesn't really matter what type, but that small size allows you to catch almost anything that will bite on it. I suppose you could fish it easily under a small slip bobber, something you might use for ice fishing and then added the least amount of weight to ensure the float rides low in the water to provide the least resistance possible.

I have also caught quite few from my kayak along the south shore both along the sandy beaches and also amongst the lillies and milfoil. Good luck with the fishing.

Thanks for the info yakfisher.

I was planning on comming down 169, how do I get to the park on the west side?

Thanks again.

Ole

They just started some construction on 169 all of the exits to hwy 55 are closed and I'm not sure about the plymouth road exit though. otherwise get yourself over to 61 and then take a left onto west medicine lake drive. The park will be on your left. I am gonna head over there today, I'll try o figure out what the best way to get there. You can access West Medicine either from US 55 or CTY 61.

With the road construction on 169 you might want to take 494 to 55. Go East on 55 to West Medicine Lake Dr. Take on left on W. Medicine Lake. The park will be on the right side about 1 mile down, just passed the 3 way stop. Best of Luck!!

If the fish aren't biting on the west side consider the backwater canals on the north end in French Park.

It can be a bit swampy to get back there, but this time of year the area can hold a lot of panfish. Don't be surprised if you hook into a big bass or dogfish back there, too.

DB