• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

I was thinking of heading out to Medicine this Saturday and throw out a tip-up and jig for some panny's.

Harty's is going to be open 7:00am until 5:00pm both Sat. and Sun. He'll have all the bait a guy needs. I'm also hoping for an ice report sometime before Saturday.

We could meet at Harty's to get bait and what not and head out from there.

Sounds like it's going to be a nice weekend.

Anyone interested?

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• AQUAJOE

• metrojoe

There was a shack in front of West Med Park early today with another unloading in the parking lot.

OK. I stopped over at west med lake on lunch and chipped through with a spud bar - I got barely 2" for measurment in two places. It may support me, but 2" is not enough for me mentally. Have fun guys. grin.gif

i hope it is safe by saturday, first sat. off in months would be great to spend it fishin with the old lady. hey metro what side are you fishing on and do you know a lot bout the lake

I spent quite a bit a time on the lake last hard water season and did fairly well on panfish, but that was when the ice was driveable. I'm waiting to hear from the resident expert to find out where to go for early ice. I'm going to try and be a Harty's bait shop around 8ish and talk with Joe and buy some bait.

Update on Harty's - Joe just checked ice, anywhere from 2-3 1/2" and not real clear. Not even sorta ready because of the snow unless you're light or lucky (I'm neither). He's postponing the bait delivery another week (he asked me to update FM). Bummer.

Joe was out in front of his place with a KARE11 camera crew doing a story on ice conditions today. Should air during the 10:00 news. As with another local *TV Star* his dog Laker will be featured. grin.gif

Joe, you still planning on going to Medicine on Sat? If so I'm in, but I'm going to let you walk out first. grin.gif

Ya Hey Der is looking for something to do on Saturday as well. If Medicine isn't in the cards it sounds like some of the lakes in Eden Prairie are good to go or we could head north of my place 20 miles or so.

I'm not so sure that the lakes in Eden Prairie are ready to go just quite yet. I'm going to go out on Friday afternoon and poke around abit. I'll post my results.

There was some runbling earlier about RR but now I see it might not be ready yet.

Sounds like there might be a change in plan. We could check out the channel between Chisago and Linstrom. I've had some decent luck with the panfish during early ice in that area.

Tell Ya Hey Der and the rest of the crew thier welcome to join us. Breakfast at Key's?? Thanks for the info on Medicine Lee. We'll have to hit it next weekend for sure. We'll keep lakeman busy making us pizzas. wink.gifgrin.gif

Ya Hey Der, Goinfishin and Smelly, you guys up for a little fishing this weekend? I think if you want to get on some "safe" ice a guy is going to have to head North a little bit.

Just dropped by Medicine to check the ice and try my new lazer out. The most I found was 4 inches and it got down to 2 inches in one place (about 100 yards out). I checked from the French Park landing. I'll be waiting. My new lazer is slick, though.

One of my buds hit med this afternoon. HE said he didnt find 4" anywhere he drilled. He said upper 2"-lower3" range of ice. Nothing much to report as far as catching fish though. Strongly considering med for tomorrow a.m. myself.

Hey Moby! I found 5-6" of ice right out infront of West Med Park. As I started going out towards the main lake I got down to 3". I fished infront of the beach from 3-5 and got a dozen fish, 5 different species. It was great to get out! grin.gif

A buddy of mine and I got out on Med this afternoon. Not much other than perch until about 1/2 hour before sunset. Then we got 4 decent walleyes between 14-18", plus missed a couple more. Kept 2 for dinner, and threw 2 back.

Great first day out for the year. Ice was about 3", with some spots up to 4", and one about 2 1/4. Be careful and watch your spots.

Finally ice fishin' time, boys!

Stopped by Harty's Saturday morning and Joe IS open - with bait. I'll try to get out for a few hours Sunday. (Joe said earlier he wouldn't open until next weekend but the fever hit him, too)

just got back, caught only dink perch, fished anywhere from 13 -35 feet, guy near my caught a 9 lb northern, other than that pretty slow, would like to thank joe for the bait this morning. will try again some night this week

Got out both Saturday morning until 1:00 and Sunday night for an hour. Caught lots of small perch and about a dozen small to decent size gills. During the day I did better on darker colored jigs (black or purple) and later I did better with brighter colors. I was mostly sight fishing. Saturday I fished SE of the French park landing in about 12' of water (close to the standing reed patch). I found about 4" of ice there. Sunday I went up into that little finger on the NW side and the ice was only about 3".

I've never fished this lake before. Do I have to go deeper to find some bigger fish? I'd also like to try for some crappies and was wondering if minnows or waxies work better on this lake?

My lake map shows some downed timber close to deep water at the end of the bay on the SW side of the lake (off Medicine Lake Drive). Anyone fish there before? I think that's where I'm heading next.

Also wanted to say thanks for the suggestion of Harty's Bait. He was helpful and friendly and even gave me some tie wraps to attach my new reel to my rod since I left my tape at home. I'll be back.

Quote:

Climbmda, were you fishing out of a Eskimo QF out infront of the beach on saturday?

Yep. That was us. There were quite a few people out, off and on. Depending on the weather, I might try to get out tomorrow afternoon.

The crappies for the most part will be suspended in the deep basins of the main lake. When the ice is thick enough for vehicles, you can't miss the crappie towns that will pop up. I mainly like to used crappies minnows on a glow demon under an ice buster. But some days your grubs and maggots will out produce the minnows. Especially if you have a flasher. I would put the minnow rod at the same depth as the crappies and your waxie rod with a spring bobber just a foot above the group. Jig it and one of them should come up for the waxie.

Good luck and Harty's is a great source of info and snacks.

agreed on where to find the crappies. I like the deep water in the claw for action. Mostly 7-8" black crappie but plenty of action. You will also find a few 9-11" mixed in but some years they can be paper thin. If you get lucky and find the white crappies you have a shot at some 14" monsters. If you find these trophy whites please release to keep the population in check and give another angler a shot at a trophy fish.

Lake is also loaded with very large pike...

Mykal, yes I do know a spot were the walleyes roam. Remember last year when you were on Medicine and I went to the shoreline and landed that 12lb pike on the old Angel eye while jigging. That my friend is the area that I got into the walleyes the last two years. They were in the 10-14" class last year. I fully anticipate them to be in this same area but to be in the 14-18" class this year. They have been stocking for some time and it appears that they are taking to the lake.

Should be fun lake to meet up on after work or for a few hours on a Sunday. I know you will be spending alot of time on the shoe in St. Cloud and Millacs. I hope to hit the shoe 3-4 times this year as it is and awesome all around fishery. Just hard sometimes to be able to get away for a 12-14 day when you figure in the commute time.

Alright you Medicine Lake guys...

Anyone care to have an informal weekly get-together on the lake to catch some fish and BS. I'm thinking weekdays since I'm out of town nearly every weekend during the hardwater season.

I can be on the lake during the week (maybe Tues, Wed, or Thurs) by approximately 5pm. Hopefully catch some crappies and chat a little as well. I work and live within a couple miles so I'd like to do something on a weekly basis or something like that.

Any thoughts or takers???