• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• AQUAJOE

• metrojoe

My dad and I hit Medicine tonight 7-10 pm.

23 Crappies all 8 to 12in. We kept 6 for breakfast.

Oh yea and one 15in Walleye.

The bite was a little slow and there were plenty-o-fish on the vexlar. 24 fish in 3 hours wasn't so bad.

Was alot of fun!

We were in 25 ft of water on a drop-off on North East side of the lake.

Quote:

Yeah, I was out last night and saw a few driving. A Blazer drove by a 100 yards from us and the ice was really creaking. You'd probably be fine, but it's a stupid risk, in my opinion. And don't drive near me.

There was a late model SUBURBAN on the ice last night, and I dont mean right next to the access. We had 11" of ice, and 2"-3" of that is surface junk ice.

How long before we see the next vehicle getting pulled out of a lake on the news?

Most people are still using atv's and snowmobiles, or just hoofing it out.. WISE choice. I had water coming up out of my holes last night when we had snowmobiles and quadracers constantly racing by the house(within 30'?). I left the lake because I didnt think the walls of my portable was going to stop any of them at 60 mph.

Yeah, I was out yesterday and alot of people seem to think it's okay to drive, but the ice I MEASURED was 8" clear with 4" of white crappie ice over it. A car kept driving end to end on the lake - hundreds of yards from my hole - and every time there was a pressure wave being pushed that would wash water about a half a foot up and out of my (ice) hole. A Suburban and another smaller SUV were parked right next to a big ol' permanent and they stayed up, but I don't know how. That ice measurement I took was about a hundred yards from 'em - I just had to check when the second SUV pulled up. Personally, I'll walk.

Howdy,

Me and a couple of friends went out last night and the bite was ssslllooowwwwww....... The fish were there but wouldn't bite. Caught 6 total. Uffdah!!

But on the other hand, it was a nice get together.

Next time I'm heading for the honeyhole.

Ole

Hey Ole, that's what I've been seeing on the traditional crappie holes, too. They're there, but shy. Seems like people have had better luck fishing a bit shallower, but it's just been a wierd year. I've been roaming 25-30' flats during the day, punching a hole, dropping a flashy spoon to attract fish and then sending down something small to actually catch 'em.

The ice is far from trustworthy for cars and trucks. Saturday was by far the most traffic I've seen out there. One person starts it and then another and then 10-20 more. We go out there to fish and live to tell about it, not retrieve what could easily drop through. We are so use to driving out and we all feel it is inevitable that eventually we will but the calendar is movin along and the ice sheet we have is the thinnest I can remember except for the winter of 88 when the ice gave way to open water starting on March 3rd. That was the year 7 cars went through.

Do not assume everything is fine just because you see someone else drive out there, it is not worth losing your life over or 3500.00 to get your now worthless vehicle out should you survive. Granted, my baitshop does much better when people can drive out, and this has been a terrible winter for sales, but I would rather all of you be safe and come back this spring,summer and next winter than to open up the access and say we have a foot of ice now so have at it.

Hopefully, we'll get back to driveable ice next winter, but for now do what your Grandfathers did and walk out or go by 4-wheeler or snowmobile. Fishing has been pretty good too !

lakeman

I was out on Saturday morning and saw a couple of vehicles out on the ice. Not very smart in my opinion.

We set up just west of the beach and had 4 flags in about 5 hours. I had a monster on that broke the nylon backing line - man, I am still kicking myself for losing that one. A guy about 30ft from us pulled in a 10lb. pike and 2 other smaller ones in the 3-5# range.

Joe Harty..

I know the driving is good for your business.. but people are going too far driving out there right now. I dont know how many people were on the main lake, but there had to be at least 20 vehicles in the back bay yesterday... Lots of full size trucks, people parking 20 feet apart, you name it. Lots of irresposible snowmobilers and ATV's out there too.. racing around 20' away from the ice house and going up onto land and tearing off through the trees, etc... That gives us that use them responsibly a really bad name.

The weather looks good to pack on more ice by the end of next weekend with below zero temps coming. We had 12.5", 3" of that is surface junk ice where I was fishing last night, I havent heard of any thicker ice out there, but I have heard of thinner ice.

I dont think the fishing has been great, but it has been consistant.. but not good enough to go swimming.

Do most people know most mini trucks weigh around 5000 pounds, and full size from 6000-8000 pounds? That is unloaded with no passengers. Add a couple passengers to that, several hundred pounds of gear, a trailer, whatever... I think everyone see's what I'm getting at.

Monkey see, Monkey do.. people driving out now just because other people are.. so it must be safe right?

Yeah, right .. I'll call 911 for you if you go through.

Not to get off the ice fishing topic but....

Has anybody noticed that on the classicbass web site they have two bass tournaments listed for July on Medicine. I've seen a couple small club tourney's out there before but nothing that will have 30+ boats like these two will. shocked.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was out Friday afternoon with Lee the Bonehead looking for some toothy critters. And although we didn't catch what we were looking for, I ended up catching a FAT sucker. It was a blast on my panfish rod!

Sucker.jpg

Hey Lee, are you gonna be out on tuesday? I'm gonna go out for some Sunnies after class. I'll be heading out of French.

I think thats the biggest sucker I've ever seen. It might be time to head over that way and see you characters. It appears your driving on the ice now.

Derrick won't, but I started last week and I'm still dry.

Trucks are driving everywhere, and Joe's letting people drive on from his place.

We agreed that that sucker weighed around 4 lbs. A GREAT fight to watch!

AquaJoe, you're not missing any outings. I'm just seeing if anyone wants to meet up out there tomorrow. I'm gonna get out there anywhere from 1:30-2:30 depending on when I get out of class.

MetroJoe, I've seen bigger Suckers come out of that lake. shocked.gif

Come on now Medman, Is that anyway to talk about your friends? grin.gifwink.gif

I doubt I can make it out there tomorrow. Good Luck.

Lee, if you happen to make it out. HoleHopper and I will be fishing that Crappie spot you and I were on last Monday.

Glad to hear he's getting out to wet a line. Tell him to stop in and say Hi on the site here.

Now I know for sure what swam right into my camera last week. Looked just like that one in your hands. grin.gif

Nice to hear that Holehopper is back on the ice!

I'm trying to decide on this Saturday and since my son is out of town for a soccer tournament I'm less inclined to head to the Cool Cats (he wasn't real happy when I told him Cool Cats was this weekend as he really enjoyed that last year). Medicine is a calling! Haven't been on it in more than a couple of weeks so has anything changed regarding catching some crappies? Actually first time wasn't all that successful either but turned out others were on them in a different location.

Wouldn't mind being able to drive out as I don't enjoy playing sled dog if I don't have too!

metrojoe, HoleHopper no longer visits this site. You can find him on other fishing forums though.

Got out today with HoleHopper. Got on a good Perch bite right off the bat. I ended up getting on a school of some nice Perch. H.H. got some Perch, Sunnies, and Crappies.

Hey gang smile.gif MedMan told me to stop in. Metro Joe, TriplePlay, I sure hope you guys are haveing fun this winter. Its been really busy for me and my wife lately. My mom in law has cancer and we are all takeing turns takeing care of her. Say one to the big man upstaires for her. She is the best! I got this week off if any of you want to hit Med. with me. I need a break! You guys got my e-mail. See you around....... grin.gif

Your family will be in our prayers. I may be able to cash in some comp time for a day on the ice. I'll let you know.

Glad to see you on the site.

Im taking my mom out for her first time and it will be my last this year. What part of the lake n , NW, SW etc, and depth should I fish to get some crappies??

My family thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. We have been there in my family.

I will be out on Med on Saturday if anyone is interested email me [email protected]

I'll be on Med as well on saturday. I'll be walking out from French Park.