• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Medicine Lake

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MedicineMan

• Lee the bonehead

• AQUAJOE

• metrojoe

(Contact US Regarding This Word) firewall! mad.gif

I'll have to watch it when I get home.

Nice work on the perch! Wish I would have had that luck! I don't think I saw you out there. I was out from about 4 -6:30.

I've noticed that the perch take off when sunnies come into the area, even the bigger perch. As soon as the sunnies clear, they're back. I've also noticed that the sunnies showing up often means a northern's coming. Do they hang out around northerns looking for scraps or something?

Joe, did you ever get my email?

Ralph, I was out there from 2-5:30. You probably saw me if you were fishing the mainlake. I was moving all over the place yesterday, I probably walked a good 5 miles.

Well folks...

Made my 1st trip out onto Med tonight after work. Wasn't really prepared but thought it might be a good idea to test the waters so to speak. No Eurolarvae, no minnows, just some old waxies and I struggled. Not even a nibble but I wasn't out for more than 1/2 hour to an hour either.

Fished one of the deep water crappie spots. The fish were there, stacked up like cordwood, but was probably a timing thing on my part.

Approximately 5 inches of really solid ice where I was at.

Went out yesterday for a few hours, didn't do a whole lot. Had some equipment issues that took up most the time. Also, I talked to Joe yesterday and he said that he's going to start shuttling people around the lake on his 4-wheeler.

I've had some luck with a small Swedish Pimple/waxie (use the single hook)when they're like that. I jig wildly (think hookset) for a while - hookups are always on the lift so you might as well set the hook on every pull- and then hold still for a half minute or so. If they sit and stare I slowly raise until I run out of arm. More often than not the bite happens when the lure is at rest or moving up SLOWLY. Even if the bite is slow at least you're doing something!

I was out Monday fishing the edge of a sand flat with the AquaVu and the small Perch and Fatheads were so thick it was like watching a Cousteau episode on TV - cute little fishies as far as I could see and all the way up the water column. No predators out that day!

If anyone is interested in a drop-off/pick-up service with the 4-wheeler and trailer I'd be happy to help. Seems like alot of people are getting tired of walking and draggin the kitchen sink along so keep me in mind and just give me a little notice at the bait shop. I can bring you back in by 8:00 or 9:00 pm and I open at 7:00 on weekends and 8:00 on weekdays. A small donation is all that is asked.

Lakeman

I like rides! How about draggin' me to my all my spots and waiting while I check for active fish? smile.gif

Sounds like a sweet deal. But you have to go full bore atleast once per outings.

What's your Number again?

Geez Lee, you that lazy? wink.gif lol! I went out yesterday and got on a good Sunny/Pike bite. I had a monster Pike on for about 10 seconds before it snapped my line.

Hey Special, 763-546-6711.........what do you mean by full bore ?

Big trailer, big wheeler, big smiles.

Lakeman

I gots to get out with ya one of these days! My AquaVu has been workin' good, but I'm getting a little tired of the perch/sunfish bite I've been on. They're always ready to play but the big fish that come through (none the last two times out) refuse to shake hands. I actually haven't had time for a good old explore - just an hour or so at dusk. Maybe this weekend. . .

And oh, by the way, I'm not nearly as lazy since the slush hardened up! Just having a little fun with Mr. Harty.

Hey Lee, I just shot ya an email. My email has been a little wierd the last few days so you have a 50/50 chance of getting it.....

Ole, Moby, MetroJoe, I sent you an email as well.

Hey you Med fisherpeople. I'm going to pop out there tomorrow morning until early afternoon.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to try and hook up.

We're planning on doing a little lake hopping around that area tomorrow. I'm thinking of stopping in for a pizza and pop around lunch time. Of course this all depends on how the fish are biting. Might see you all tomorrow. cool.gif

I'm planning on going out around 12-1. I'll be fishing the south end of the mainlake for Pike and Pannies. If you see a guy wearing a brown jacket and pulling a Fishtrap Scout, that'll be me. If I'm with someone, I'll be taking the black SnoBoat. cool.gif

Hey fellas,

Hit the ice today from about 9am-11:30am.

Found some crappies over deep water again. Craps were about 20' down and were very, very picky.

Dropped my VS560 down to take a better look at them and that was about the only way I could set the hook into these buggers. The crappies were everywhere but they weren't too aggressive. They would come look at my bait, bump it with their nose, brush up alongside of it, but there weren't many that took a taste. Those that did ended up in my hand and went back to be caught another day. Ended up icing close to a dozen of them critters this morning. Slow compared to my other Med experiences but much better than my last outing.

Lure of choice was a very, very small CJ&S Ratso tipped with part of a waxworm. (Didn't manage to pick up any Euro's yet). I'm not sure the waxworm made a difference, a few of the fish were caught with just the plastic.

MedMan and I were spent the afternoon over weeds trying to get into Sunfish/Norts with no luck. When we found fish they showed no interest. Went out to some perch structure and of course they were aggressive. Stayed until 5:30 hoping for a Walleye cruiser at dusk, but no go. Metrojoe fished a Crappie hole and had about the same experience you did.

Thanks again to Joe Harty for pulling us off the ice - it was getting COLD with the wind right in our faces on the way out.

Was out Yesterday as well but we were fishing 30 ft. Lots of perch, one gill and 1 12in walleye.

Thanks to Joe Harty for dragging us out and back.

Hey Med-Man you get a new auger yet? strikemasters got a got a sweet 4-stroke only 16 lbs and $500.00, hows the landing at the winter access.

Fished with Med Saturday and he was using a hand auger, but there's only 6-8" of clear ice so it wasn't a problem for him. ATV/snowmobile only for now.

Not really sure, but at least half and last year was ALL CLEAR ICE. Huge difference. I was driving on Medicine last year around Christmas time and it was spooky driving across more than a foot of clear ice. No cracking or sagging but just seeing water under your vehicle gives ya the willies! Lots of people (Joe Harty's one of 'em) aren't sure it ever will be safe to drive on this season.

I like to hear that! grin.gif I not much of a hard water guy. I miss my boat and open water. The way things are going it looks like an earlier ice out. I thought it was around 2000 or so when we had a winter like this and the ice was off in the metro in early-mid March.

I hear ya'. I wish the ice would freeze hard and fast and go out just as quick, but then I'd wish it wasn't so *%&$ cold!