• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Building a retracable trailer shanty??

hondavxr

Question

I have decided that instead of buying a built retracable trailer ice shanty, I am going to buy a trailer and build one myself. I think I am going to purchase a 7x14 or 7x16 trailer. Now here comes the questions, what to I use to fasten the 2x2 studs? Do I use L brackets or just screw them in with drywall screws? There is no way they are supposed to be hammered in, right? I know that those 2x2's will problay split. Please give me some ideas with materials, roofing of the shanty, and some floor plans. If you guys have any great ideas shoot them of here, as I got a open ear. This will be my first time building my own shanty and any advices with help me. Thanks for the replies.

16 answers to this question

For those of you who want to build your own trailer or fish house the best place to get wheel, tires, hubs and spindles is your local junk yard, the rear or trailing axle off a chrysler or dodge mini van is the best, the spindle is bolted to the original spreader bar, unbolt the spindle and bolt or weld it to your own main axle, these axles also have springs which can be cut in half for fish houses or left whole for trailers. I have bought quite a few of these and have never paid more than 60 dollars for a axle, the last two I bought I paid $40 for,

I have seen people use a roofing stapler on the sides of the 2x2's. I have pre-drilled mine and used 2 screws, and didn't have any problems with it splitting. I would also recomend using a treated 2x2 bottom plate, and make sure to use the correct screws with the treated wood, regular hardware will corode in a couple of years. If you plan on sleeping in it at all, go with the 16', I have a 14 and when I bought it, a 16 foot was only 400 bucks more for the whole thing, big mistake on my part.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'd use L brackets. Sheetrock screws are very brittle so go with a galvanized deck screw and predrill all your holes. If you using green treated they recommend stainless steel screws.

If your bottom plate is the only treated you use you can predrill and insert a vinyl tube through it and washer to get around not using SS screws.

i used steal tubing- the only problem is that you have to use special screws to screw every thing to it- kind of a pain- when i build my next one i will be using 2x 3 studs- i am also wondering how to attach the whole thing to the trailer?? How does one attach the sill plate to the trailer?????????????????????????

They make special metal tapping screws to fasten the sill plate to the trailer. A good place to order them is from Fastenal. Thats where I got mine. The ones at Home Depot were not as long as what I needed as I screwed and insulated floor to the trailer first and then screwed the sill plate through the floor and down into the steel trailer as well. Couple hundred screws.

Instead of using 2x2 I strongly recommend 2X3 studs. Just my opinion.

Honda - I have some plans that might help get the ball rolling for ya. I can email them to you in a pdf file. Built my 7X14 drop down last year with the help of these.

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of those plans too? I am working on building a house as well. Havent decided though if I am capable of putting wheels under it. crazy.gif That might be a little out of my league. If you are willing to send me a copy its kyle _ mlynar at hotmail (Contact US Regarding This Word) THANKS!

I used 3 inch galvanized deck screws while gluing every joint with construction adhesive. I also added a 2 x 2 corner braces on all corners. Very strong and well worth the little bit of extra time.

House is fastened to the frame with long carrige bolts (from sill plate through bottom of frame).

Pete

I welded 3" studs to the frame, drilled holes in the plywood to go over the studs and drilled hole in the bottom plate. Once the wall is set-up, 1 large washer and a 9/16 nut to hold everything down. Its just like you would build a home on a block wall. Also put PL200 between everything. I used L brackets on every stud.

Korn could you send me a copy also please my address is [Cheese 53073 (at) yahoo (dot) com]. My cousing and I are looking into building a house that we could also run a boat into the tail for Canadian road trips and stay in it for the week.

Korn -

If you have time, I would love to see your plans as well. I have been making some drafts of a few ideas and I know access to another set of ideas will save me some heartburn later on. [email protected] laugh.gif

Althought I doubt my wife will be thrilled when I come home with a trailer full of iron and an axle for a new fish house... mad.gif

Korn fish, I would appreciate your ideas (plan) as well.

nd_bart at hotmail (Contact US Regarding This Word)

thanks, Bart