• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What were these coyotes doing????

Mark Christianson

I was out muzzleloader hunting this evening.

I saw this coyote off in the distance that I watched with my binocs for quite a while.

It was along a woodline/field edge, and it looked to be gnawing on something and squirming around like it was snagged up. I first thought it was in a trap or something. But then it walked a several feet away and went back and started back at it again.

Then it started actually rolling around and just acting crazy.

Then it dawned on me.

Was this Yote marking a spot like a buck marks a spot during the rut?

Is it mating season for yotes?

The best parts are coming up.

Not more than a minute after that first yote left, another came running across the field right to that same stupid stick and sniffed around and then off it went on the same path as the first one.

OK, off the main reason of the topic for a moment.

Now it gets good.

Minutes later two deer came out very close to where these yotes had just been. All of a suddent the 2 deer take off running and those 2 yotes come screaming out of the woods chasing after the deer. One of the deer came running right to me, and I had the old smokepole up and ready, just waiting for one of those dogz to come by too. No luck. Darn it.

Anyway, is it the yote rut right now???

I dont think they are breeding yet, most breeding seems to happen more towards the end of January and february. they are probably litter mates looking to move into a new area. and started making scent posts.

'Yotes will use just about every scent post they come across. That is why they make such good set locations for trapping. Just like a dog, they like to leave their marker on it. A rock out in the middle of an open area will often get the same attention.

We sure have a lot of 'yotes around right now. Might be time to get out the calls and the 220 swift....

I hear what you are saying, after ML season ends and orange isn't required I will be out.

Both of them looked very fluffy and very healthy.

Although, I really dont know what mange does to them I guess. smirk.gif

mange is real nasty if you saw a yote that had you would it. The animal loses its hair and dies a slow death from the cold(usually).

If it wasn't mange, then I wouldn't know. Maybe it had something to do with the deer? Maybe the coyote was reacting to a buck rub or something.

You're right, coyotes will pair up in February and mate soon after. So I also doubt that it had anything to do with mating.

Either way, it's a great story!

BLB, were the deer that the yotes were chasing decent size, or were they yearling? if they were decent size it tells me that either the two yotes were pups this spring and not too experienced or the food supply in the area is low and they are despirate. If so a simple fawn in distress or a jackrabbit should bring them in if you are interested.

They went after the fawn and chased it right up to me. The doe swung off in another direction, and stopped in the field and watched the coyotes chase the fawn towards me.

I would be willing to put money on the coyotes rolling around in something dead. It is instinct for a predator to roll around in dead flesh to cover their own scent. This would explain the second coyote doing the same thing.

I have a golden retriever that does the same thing. I did some research as to why and thats what I found out. Anytime I see her rolling in the yard and flopping around, I know that she found a dead bird or mouse and is basking in the wonderful scent of dead animal.

There was nothing obvious except a branch that was stickin out of the snow. They were rubbing, licking and chewing on it.

Most likely leaving their scent at a scent post, but I dont think I have ever seen a coyote or fox roll around on one. smile.gif Either way, it is truly amazing the stuff you see out on the stand. We have seen wolves, coyotes, marten, and bobcat right within the city of Duluth. Very cool to be able to see such critters right in town like that.