• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long weekend Ice trip to Ely area? Any suggestions

Most of my time spent in Ely has been to or from the boundary waters. We are considering making a long weekend there this winter for some ice fishing. Any suggestions for lakes to try will be appreciated. Maybe narrowing it down to a few and then I can do some research on the DNR's site. We are mostly interested in Walleye, but may want to use a day to try and get a laker.

Thanks,

sparetime:

Do you want of fish in or out of the Bdub? Your main laker lakes here are Burntside (wholly outside Bdub) and Snowbank (also called "slowbank," and partly in and partly outside the Bdub).

Lots of good walleye water around, both in and out. If you want convenience and don't want to trek into the wilderness, hit Shag or Vermilion for walleyes (V is only 20 miles from Ely) and Burntside for lakers. Inland laker season outside the Bdub opens on the Saturday in the middle of Jan. If you're coming up before that, you're out of luck for lakers unless you go into the Bdub for them (inland winter Bdub laker season opens two weeks before general inland opener).

Generally, the earlier on the ice, the better the walleye fishing. It tends to slack off in early January, about the time laker opens up. Not that you can't catch 'eyes in January, just that it's slower than now.

Thanks for the info. I'll check into Burntside. I think we'll probably hold off for the last weekend in January, so maybe the laker fishing will be a better bet.

My previous posts (years ago) on lakers revealed that we should bring any color we want as long as its white. Is that still true? Any tackle tips will be appreciated.

Does anyone in Ely offer rooms for a reasonable price. I don't need a pool or hot tub, just a comfortable bed.

Crappies and northern are also an option.

Thanks for your help

Sparetime:

White's a good color, but fish with any color you want. I actually have good luck with glow/green jigging raps and rainbow trout pattern lures (which do a fair job of mimicing rainbow smelt, the main forage in bside).

Motel Ely and Paddle Inn have rooms inexpensively priced.

If you're up last weekend in Jan., that's the weekend of the Buntside Bash (see sticky note thread of that name at top of board.)

Shagawa for Walleyes.

West end. Small island in the middle of Rocky Bay. Just East of the Island about 30-40 yards. 12-17 foot of water, depending on summer water levels, they were high this year.

Good especially before Dark. Good Perch too. Not Bad for Northern Along the shorlines. You wont catch any monsters, well maybe, but lots of small 1-2-3 pound walleyes.

Crappie Minnows work well, As well as Rainbows. No other bait works. I've tried everything.

I had a shack there for 3 years in a row. Wish I was there now.

Umm, on my map Rocky Bay is on the east end of Shag (along the south shore), not the west end. confused.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Miners lake is also an easy trout spot close to town. If your up for a hike along a creek try burgo just north and east of Shag the crappies are fun, but be careful i have fallin in a few times on the creek.

I've seen your shack out there quite a few times. I've always wondered if you were catching much, or just getting away from the crowds to party. I've landed a few there during the summer. Good info, Thanks. Probably wont make it up to Ely this winter though. (no time to cut wood this summer makes for a cold winter cabin).

frown.gif

Where exactly is Ropey's Bay? Is that the one just north of Boulder Bay? Just curious...I haven't heard of that bay on Shagawa.

Take Care,

Justin cool.gif

it is boulder bay but the west side of it.

how about Olson Bay along the west side i have caught alot of perch and eyes over there.