• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

North Metro ice reports

John Mickish

I just checked WBL at both the Matoska and Ramsey beach landings and there was maybe 3.5 inches. Twenty feet out from shore my chisel went thru in one hit. I think the snow on the ice is to blame. What other reports do we have?

Saved me a trip. I was going to swing into Bellaire on my way home. Maybe I'll give it a couple more days.

Hey Joe, I see that someone is fishing by the VFW. I didn't check that yet, and maybe tomorrow I'll get over to

Bellaire. I figured for sure we'd have more ice than that by now.

Yea do not venture out past the drop offs on any of the lakes around here. In front of the VFW there is only ice that is safe a hundred or 2 out. And safe as in might be 2.5-3 inches. I went to another area lake that is small and I found 2.5 right at shore, maybe 15-20 ft out, and 1" past that. The ice auger only took one turn to get past the first bad layer than another turn to go thru the ice. If the ice was solid that would be one thing but it is very poor ice.

After tonight at -2, and another good night or 3, we should be lookin at 3-4 inches out past the drop-offs.

I usually like to be one of the first ones out on the spots but you will not see me out there even on the small lakes for a while yet.

hey der guys,

What's with all this talk about WBL? I think you guys know what I am talking about. Remember last year when the mustard froze out there and we didn't get anything? blush.gif

mnfishinguy and metrojoe, are you guys going to be out this weekend? I have to call 'goinfishin' to see if he is goin fishin this weekend. I don't know though, he has been working alot of hours lately. someone has got to shake some sense into him. I'd like to head out this weekend, not sure where, do know it won't be WBL tongue.gif. Let me know what you guys are thinking and maybe we can meet on a lake with fish in it this time. grin.gif

hawgTime, you still out there? shoot me an e-mail.

YHD

Holy cow, I guess winter can start now that YHD has joined in! How have you been? I'm done working for the winter so as soon as the ice is good I'll be somewhere. What are you thinking for a lake? I'm really itching to get out and try out some new toys. Hey, WBL has lots of fish in it, they just happen to be 6" perch, and perch are fish too ya know. grin.gif

I got the chance to talk with goin fishin and SmellyJelly this past weekend at the Ice Show, so I know they're still alive wink.gif... Long hours or not, Dan still made it to the show to pick up a few new jigs to chase down Metro pannies!! grin.gif

YHD,

Why such hostility towards WBL? We could have had a snowball fight and used your fish house as cover, that would have passed the time grin.gif I mean, who does that anyway? wink.gif

I know mnfishinguy is looking to hit the ice. We had some pretty good conversations going this past weekend about ice fishing.

hawgTime will show up once again. I hope sooner then later... Mike, our "little" spot is getting more and more pressure every year, I think this winter will be our last horrah out there buddy...

I hear a Metro Get Together in the near future... maybe late December? Linwood again? Or head up to the Chisago area?

Who has the week off between Xmas and New Years? If we have enough guys off we could hit it then, maybe Chisago? The last two weekends look pretty tough, both being holidays.

Should be some driveable ice by then.(fingers crossed) I know a couple spots on Chisago, but there quite a ways out.

You interested in venturing out around home this weekend?

I'm heading over to Medicine Lake on Saturday. I'm going to stop and see Joe at Harty's bait before I head out. Should be there around 8ish. Not sure what my plan is yet, just hoping to work some of the kinks out and try out some new equipment.

Update on Harty's - Joe just checked ice, anywhere from 2-3 1/2" and not real clear. Not even sorta ready because of the snow unless you're light or lucky (I'm neither). He's postponing the bait delivery another week (he asked me to update FM). Bummer.

No bait for another week ?

i was planning on drowning some minnows somewhere around there this Saturday.

I drive by on 169 everyday for work saw someone walking out on the east side tonight.

i guess good things come to those who wait...

If you consider Lake Calhoun North Metro, the lake was wide open Sunday afternoon. Not even fringe ice on the lake.

If you don't consider it North Metro, it still is wide open and not a sight of fringe ice anywhere grin.gif

Too funny Matt!!! grin.gif That was quite funny. I'll make sure I bring the shovel again. Did smellyjelly and dan tell you about a trip we (Metrojoe,mnfishinguy,smellyjelly, going fishin and I) took to Mille Lacs last year? Basically, it has to do with smelly having to go #2 w/no tp in sight. You can ask him the rest or I'll tell you later on the ice. You guys remember that? way too funny! Does anyone know how to PM each other?

I am almost ready to go. I just need to clear out my fishhouse and make sure my lines aren't rotted and I'll be set. I was thinking about going out this saturday. mnfishinguy and metrojoe, I talked to goinfishin tonight and he said he was going to call you guys to see you wanted to go out on Fri. He has to worked sat. so no go on sat. for him. I'll also give you guys a call to see if you want to head out on saturday. I have a lake in mind but I don't know how the ice is. Maybe you guys will be on that lake on friday and have everything scouted for me. That way I can just get there and catch all the fish grin.gif Just a few more days fellas!!!

I should be able to get out a couple of times between Christmas and NewYears. I am sure we will all be in touch.

_YHD

Lee,

I saw that rascal on the news last night, that is a bummer.

I'm thinking of heading north, maybe Chisago, either the channel or the south end off Cty Rd 83. They haven't had as much snow up that way and the ice should be a little thicker. I think I have all you guys phone numbers.

I'll drill and scoop all your holes for you to YHD smirk.gif

PM is not enabled. I understand FM's reasons, but sometimes it would be nice. Oh well, We have phones and e-mail.

I'll give you a call, but what do you guys think about meeting at the Perkins in Forest Lake?

Is there a small cafe next to Frankie's?

I only know two places in Forest lake, Famous Daves and Gander. Wherever you want to meet will be fine, I'll be there with bells on, auger warmed up and big dipper in hand!

LETS GO FISHIN'

Dan (goinfishin) If you go out Friday I can go in the morning but have to be back home by 2:00. I have to leave town to take my daughter up to see her mom.

Quote:

I only know two places in Forest lake, Famous Daves and Gander.

I like how this guy thinks grin.gif

Good luck if you guys make it up to the Chisago Area. That's always one of my first places in the Metro I hit for first ice pannies. A panfish mecca up there...

I am going to venture out on forest lake on friday, I let everyone know the ice conditions and how we do. Hopefully catch some crappies and stay out late to get some walleyes.

I just got back from the Matoska and Ramsey beach areas on WBL. Matoska had 2" of ice about 30 feet out. I punched thru on one hit with the chisel and used a tape measure to check the ice. 2 stinkin' inches, that's it.

Ramsey beach area is much worse, it looks like the weight of the snow has pushed down on the ice and there is now water on top of the ice where the cracks are. Right at the landing there was about 6" of water on top of the ice. You could see where someone had ridden a 4 wheeler a little out there. He's got bigger seeds than me. crazy.gif

Fished WBL out in front of the VFW on Sunday afternoon to evening. 3-4 inches in the one spot other than that it was thin. Caught 4 northerns on suckers and one crappie on a waxy. Fished Peltier on Monday night and caught 3 small crappies on the east end of the lake. About 2 to 2 1/2 inches. Tried to fish four holes in two person flip shack and too much water was coming up. Fished two holes fine. The snow has pushed the ice down on a smaller area lake I like to fish. Only 2 inches or less out there. Maybe in a couple days. Going to Bemidji area this weekend for some real ice.

bf

Drove by WBL at about 4:00. Drilled a couple holes at Bellaire - 3 1/2" ice. Went by Ramsey beach at 4:15 and saw 2 people out fishing a couple hundred yards out with a wheeler (nuts). Couldn't of been more than a couple inches by the beach as that area freezes last. The ice is forming slowly...be careful.

Won't see me on WBL until next week.

Drove by DeMontreville today 2 1/2 in 20 yards out and 1 in about 35 yards out from the acces lots of slushy spots, then drove by Big Carnelian slush and very thin ice on that lake right off the access. Ufortunetly i think its going to be awhile for us in the metro. Heard lots of ice up north near aitking and mcgregor, but thats getting kinda far for a day trip MAYBE grin.gif

On a local lake about an hour ago I just checked thickness quick and found 2.5-3 inches 10-20 ft from shore and about 1-1.5" past that. After 3 nights near 0 or less, why has it only made about .25-.5 inches of ice?

It will probably be a good week or week and a half before anyone is getting out past any drop off over 3 inches.

a wheeler on WBL? holy @#%#^&@%$#@ is that stupid. that lake is one of the last to go solid. dont they have problems with cars going through every year up there?

checked the lakes in roseville and found 4 to 5" 50' from the landing,(actually measured with a ruler). i would go out there as i figure it is probably safe, but not alone. gonna round up some help by saturday and head out there to catch all those big 6" crappies.

Philo, Shacks are out in the narrows between lakes and people have been traveling by 3/4 wheeler back and forth. I was out Weds and had a solid 5" out there. No garuntees for other areas but the channel has enough ice to fish.

Tunrevir~

Forest Lake has about 4.5" out to the weedline, didn't check past that. The geese and ducks kept a spot open just north of the launch (on lake one) up until about a week ago so I would recommend avoiding that area for awhile.