• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

West Metro Reports

NorthernLite

Stopped by Mitchell in Eden Prairie today and measured 3.5 inches of ice about 30 feet out from the launch. Then stopped at red rock and measured about the same. Looks like the snow turned to slush on the ice then froze. Thinking about heading out for some crappies on weds. Any ice or fishing reports from other lakes in the area?

went out to lake Riley yesterday and measured about 2 1/2" out from the public accsess, looked like somebody had already been on Rice Marsh and didn't even bother trying to drill on lakes Susan or Ann cause it looked grim. It will be good after tonight I hope.....

Hey Northern,

I live in Eden Prairie and fish both Mitchell and Red Rock. I'd like to go out too, except I need someone to go with incase of a crack. What time are you planning on Wednesday?

HEy Northern and carp......I also live in EP and fish RR. I'm going out tonight to get a line wet. Let me know if you're going out on wednesday. I'd be interested. I'm home by 330 pm.

Hey carp and power, yea I will take you up on fishing in EP some time. Im not sure I will be able to go on Wed but maybe some other time. I will also be sure to let you know how i do when i do get out. Let me know how you guys also. good luck

Anyone get out in the West Metro last night?? How was the ice? I'm hoping to start on Thursday.

Sounds like an EP reunion here! I would be interested in hooking up with any of you to fish as well. I'll keep an eye on your reports.

Checked Red Rock and Mitchell today and drilled though 4.5-5 inches of good ice about 100 ft out. The lakes are looking good, game on.

Thanks for the report NL...Do you think that's good enough to hold a 250lb tub like myself?

Not to contradict northern, but I was at Red Rock today and found nothing thicker than 3" more than 100 yds from shore. I took out the Vex and was only in 4 FOW.

I went to the path to the North bay and found no more than 2" there. At one point the ice under me cracked when I punched through. It was 1.5" thick....I mean thin.

Probably won't hit it this weekend. My walking on the ice was creating a wake in the holes. 1 guy was fishing tipups in 4FOW, but he was fishing Wisconsin style and watching from his truck.

If anyones going out this weekend gimme a call or email me. ahamilton @ mn.rr.com or 952-994-5476

Well shucks, we should have an Eden Prairie ice-a-thon. Northern or anyone else, I'm going to hit Red Rock on Friday right after work...probably be on the ice at about 3:00 and fish till dark.

Yea Power, I didnt venture out to 100 yards but where I was checking it was pritty solid. A few more cold days like today should harden things up more. I be sure to post how I did if I go out soon.

i'd also be up for an EP fishing outing. I work in Chan and could meet somewhere any time after work-let me know if any of you are up for it some night next week.

Careful with venturing on Riley. West half didn't cover 'til Sat nite/Sun am.

Hoping to head Thurs afternoon, somewhere. Post up if anyone is able to go E.P. area after 3 pm.

My crystal ball says Dec 22 but its been wrong before.

Seriously though, I found pretty thick ice but it was cloudy and choppy. The real thin ice was all black and that tells me it froze after the 11/22 rain-to-snow storm. Since then its been dry powdery snow.

Nothing better than drilling through solid black ice though. I can't wait!!

I checked out Red Rock and Mitchell this afternoon. I measured 5.5" on RR about 30 feet out from the ramp. There were quite a few footprints and sledmarks going out about 100 yards. I didn't have my spudbar with me, but I imagine the ice thickness is pretty variable. Mitchell lake had two portables on it; a fellow said the ice was about 4". A couple of more nights in the single digits and I think its game on. smile.gif

Got out today on mitchell, Ended up goin with a buddy. found around 4.5 inches almost everywhere within 100 feet. As we went out further found some really bad ice, some spots were only about 2 inches. There were also a lot of wet ice spots which i stayed away from. I was in a Blue Ice Trap portable if anyone saw or talked to me. Fishing was very slow because the best spots had very thin or bad ice. Only caught a few sunnys but they were decent size (6-8 inches) I would give it till atleast this weekend before you could hit up the better parts of the lake.

Quote:

Got out today on mitchell, Ended up goin with a buddy. found around 4.5 inches almost everywhere within 100 feet. As we went out further found some really bad ice, some spots were only about 2 inches. There were also a lot of wet ice spots which i stayed away from. I was in a Blue Ice Trap portable if anyone saw or talked to me. Fishing was very slow because the best spots had very thin or bad ice. Only caught a few sunnys but they were decent size (6-8 inches) I would give it till atleast this weekend before you could hit up the better parts of the lake.

Hey Northern Light,

I talked to you then. I walked out at about 4:45 and asked you how the fishing was.

Yea I thought I would meet someone from this site out there today. We'll maybe I'll C ya on the ice again some time carp.

Cubbies,

Co-Worker was out on Wed afternoon & walked out. He could punch his heel through with ease. Caution Still thin on Indy. He also said it is really BAD ICE where he checked (Milky,MIlky Ice).

Later,

Chris

When I drove by Minnewashta this morning by the south end of the lake you could clearly see some dark, soft, thin ice not very far out from shore. There were patches like that all over so use extreme caution everybody! It should be "rip some lip" time by the weekend!

Thanks a lot Sportfishin, keep me posted. I will be headed up to mille lacs this weekend, hopefully by next I can get out on Indy.

Cubbies

Hey everyone! Just wanted to send some of the weather that we have been having here in Montana your way. I am going to school out hear in Bozeman and will be heading back on the 16th. I fish a lot on Indy and would like to hear from anyone that has been out there as of recent. How much ice we talking? Also any reports as to the ice conditions on Waconia? I miss Minnesota and I am sure you can undrstand why. It sucks sitting here not being able to check out the ice for myself. Oh well! Minnesota people are a lot cooler anyway. Set the hook, Its time to hit the ice. Take it easy! wink.gif

I'm going to do some fishing on Mitchell today from 3:00 till dark. If anyone was looking to do some fishing this afternoon, I'd appreciate the company.

Hi, I live right next to red rock and am itching to get out and do some fishing. I have just bought all of my gear except for an auger. I was plannning on heading out to Red Rock tonight or for sure tomorrow morning. I have never fished it before any dangerous spots for ice and anyone have any pointers?? Thanks,

Holland, With the ice just stay away from "dark" or "sick" looking ice on the lake. All You really have to do is simply just drill holes randomly if you suspect the ice of being to thin. As far as fishing on RR it just depends on what you are fishing for. I have found the far side of the lake(away from the boat launch) in 5-8 ft of water is great for northern and sunnys. For crappy and perch just move around with a vex and search for the fish. The crappy spots are kind of hard to write where they are... so you can just look for spots with predrilled holes. I have also found that if you watch the crows and see where they are landing and eating (on the ice) they will lead you to good spots where people have thrown bait out of other dead fish (this is what i watch for if i am learning a new lake). As far as color goes I have always had luck with white or light green for some reason on the lake. Good Luck and be safe.

my neighbor & i are thinking of hitting redrock on sunday afternoon. has anyone been out there yet? hows the ice? anything biting? will post how we do.

tom