• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best Scope for Northwoods Deer

8-Ball

Hi All- I am looking for suggestions from hunters on the best all-around scope for deer hunting in No. Minn.-primarily hunting wooded areas, not much open country shooting. I have been told the 3x9/40 is best. Just looking for a few more opinions, including best scope for the $. Am not looking to spend $500 or more, but know enough to not buy the $39.99 special at Wal-Mart, either. Thanks in advance.

What type of weapon are you using and how far out do you plan to shoot? For the most part 3-9x32mm or 4x-32mm is pretty common. If you plan on shooting 100yrds and less then maybe a red dot scope would be good also.

Later

2x7 is plenty of scope for the woods and most open field shooting. 40 mm objective lens is what I like, big enough to get you theh light you need.

I'd go Nikon or Leupold, I have both brands and no complaints. In glass you get what you pay for and good glass really does make a difference in what you can see.

For the money I think the Burris Fullfields are a steal, also like the Bushnell Elite3200s - you can get either for around $200.

If your looking for a Burris Fullfield II in 3x9-40 with Ballistic plex you can get those for $160 shipped to your door. Excellent bargin, I agree.

If your shooting that whats wrong with open sites? I have a 30-30 and a 44 mag rifle both with open sites.

Burris 1.75-5 x 20. Great light transmission, adequate magnification. I've got one on my slug gun, and am a big fan. The lower magnification is a big plus in tight quarters with moving critters.

Nothing wrong w/ open sights- I just want the option of a scope if I see a brute out a little ways.

Leupold VariX 3 in the 1.5x5.

I love that thing for shooting in the woods if I wont be going over 75 or 100 yds.

Dad as a 2.5x8 I believe. He always biches that he wish he had gotten the 1.5x5 instead.

3x9 is too much for hunting in heavy woods in my opinion.

I'm starting to get that vibe about the 3x-9/40. I can't afford a Leuopold right now. Anyone else have thoughts on reasonably priced scope (other than Leupold?)...

I think the Nikons are a bit less than the Leupold's. I've never had a Burris, but several members here speak real highly of them and they are definitely cheaper. I still think in what you described as your location/shooting, that 2-7 or the 1.5-5's discussed above would be better than 3-9.

I know others won't agree with my post. But I'm what you would consider Cash Impaired. So I went with some Mid Range scopes and have been very happy with them. I have a Bushnell Trophy 91% light transmission and a Simmons Whitetail Classic. I have the Simmons for about 7yrs now and the Bushnell for 4yrs. They were in the $100-$130 range.

Again if you can swing it Nikkon and Leupold are they way to go. But just wanted to let you know I've been happy with some Mid-range also.

Later

Thanks everyone for the input-much appreciated. I am going to check out Burris, Simmons, and maybe Nikon, if I can find a good deal. I am going to price shop now, and then go in after X-Mas to see if I can swing a good deal. Who knows, maybe a pricier scope will be reduced after the holiday. If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free. Thanks again, 8-Ball. Special- I hear ya. I am somewhat "cash impaired", as well. It's called a wife and three kids!

Burris Fullfield II's are 95% light transmission and you can pick up a Matte finish 3x9-40 for $160.00 shipped to your door; gloss $200. Nikon Monarch's are 95% and will run you around $300.00+ Nikon Buckmaster runs at 88% and is still costs a little higher than a Burris. I own Burris Fullfield II's and Nikon Monarchs and both are good. Truly hard to beat Burris in value in my opinon. Leopold VXII is comparable to Nikon Buckmasters and III's & IV's put you in that 95% class. Buy the best scope you can afford.

If you get a chance check out a 3x9 Swift. they have life time warranty. Their motto is stay in the hunt with swift. Same day exchange with bad scope for good scope if something was to go wrong. Drop, run it over. kids knock it over they don't care they will replace it. Sells for about $119 sometime on sale for $99. Great scope for the money

Thanks for the tip End of Line and Swamp- I am going to check them both out on the web....

I'd like to again push for the Burris, they are incredible for the price. I also own a Weaver V10 which is a great buy for around $100. However, the extra $100(or less as mentioned earlier) is more than noticeable, look through both and you will buy the Burris. BTW...I personally don't think the Nikon Buckmasters hold a candle to the Burris or the Bushnell Elite 3200 for the price but please consider it is just my own experience(I've looked through all of them). Bottom line is you got lots of good choices out there to choose from. Again keep in mind the close shots you are predicting and look for nothing over 9X max and an objective of 40mm or less for close barrel to scope alignment. Take care.