• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Ice ?

Just wondering if there is any ice action on Buffalo yet?

How much ice and is anything biting

Thinking of heading out there next Friday AM

Just checked, one punch and went trough, 2 crazy guys were off the point on the east side. You could see where other people walked out and checked also. You would think with this weather were having it would be thicker then 1.5"

Quote:

2 crazy guys were off the point on the east side.

It is amazing what knuckleheads will do on this lake

LOEBS93,

I suppose you have already had this discussion but, what is that thing you're holding - a northern with small pox? Whatever it is - nice fish!

The fish is a spotted musky I caught this fall. This year was my first year of musky fishing. I didn't spend all that much time this summer targeting them, mainly because of work, but this fall I spent several hours in search of my first musky. One day this fish hit one of my baits and I landed it. To my surprise it had this beautiful color pattern. I was about 80% sure it was a musky; the other 20% of me had no idea as to what it might have been. After posting the picture in the Pike-Musky forum for other people to analyze and comment on, I accepted it as my fist musky. It wasn’t a giant by any means (27 inches), but it was a musky…and a sweet looking fish at that.

I was bound and determined to get a picture of my first. It turned out, the day I caught this one I was on a solo mission. The only camera I had was a disposable. The picture that you see, I took of myself. I had no idea if it would even turn out to be a decent picture with myself and the fish in it. I immediately got it developed and was relieved to see a perfect picture.

Thats about it. Not too great of a story, other than the relief of a nice looking picture.

So with -0 degree weather. What's your bet that somebody drives out on Buffalo by Friday?

It won't be me but I am thinking about walking outand fighting the crowds. Should be a zoo, but hopefully there will also be fish. I will almost guarantee 4 wheelers going out and guys parking on the ice! crazy.gif

I was out there this afternoon,

Three guys out there, BUT NOT ME, there is only about 2 1/4 inches of ice about 10 yards froom shore. I will wait a few days yet.

As bad as I wanted to get out there I chickened out, or got SMART...

Fshnut from Rockford

Where exactly is the courthouse? I always hear about the courthouse, but never have any clue where it is! I usually go out of the access with the most parking spaces, Is it to the left?

The courthouse is to the east of hwy 25 about 1/2 block past the stop light. I think its cty rd 35 that runs along the south shore of the lake. people are refering to the area in front of the courthouse, which is down the big sloped shoreline in about 20ft of water.(appx. 200yds out)

Went out last night, I was suprized to find only 3" of ice my first spot. The next spot was 4.5". So the ice varies quite a bit. A little too sketchy for my liking, but sure does feel nice to be out finally.

I just got back from fishing Buffalo. I fished from 4-6pm.

Good ice, just about 4 inches. Got one nice walleye 18 inches. About 21 feet of water by the courthouse.

There were 25-30 guys out there, maybe more than that.

At least there was no one driving out there yet.

FISHNUT from ROCKFORD

fshnut, Thanks for the report.

Isn't it something what a few inches of snow will do to hamper the production of ice? With the cold weather we have had over the past week or two you would think there would be more than four inches of ice on that lake. I guess we'll take what we can get. At least ice is getting thick enough to walk out there. This is when people start assuming things that could get them in trouble. We still need to be cautious of thin or weak ice.

I'm in the same situation here, on some of the lakes around Mankato, for a couple more days then its back home for break. This is good because most of the lakes, with the exception of a couple around here, are no fun.

Any body been back by Buffalo? House went thru on 12-8-05,

they were going to try and get it out this morning.

on hwy 12 by the golf course.

Hey guy's, just got back from buffalo, went to brave the crowds. We were out from the courthouse,had A solid 5" of ice.6 nice crappies. wink.gif

Hey that sounds like a good way to start out the hard water season! I always wonder how a lake that pressured like Buffalo can still produce the fish it does...

It's gotta be a miracle! Mabye the church on the lake helps with that! grin.gif I have no clue on how you can still have fish left in the lake. Do they keep stocking that lake like a mofo or what?

I was out this morning. As said before, 5" of ice where I was at. Ended up the morning with 10 Crappies kept 9, an 8" walleye and 1 pike. Smallest crap was 9.5" biggest 12". Very pleased with my first outing this year. A very tasty first outing I might add.

Wow another great opening of the hard water season, i agree though, the only explanation has to be a miracle. I might need to head out there and join the masses if its going to keep pumping out some action...

I live just up the street from the lake. I have seen the

numbers of ice houses on Buffalo lake. My thinking as how this lake can produce fish year after year. I think it may have something to do with all the shallow islands in the lake. 5 to 6ft of water no top, the wave action from the

winds to move the water, to the clear water of, fall to spring.

My pennies.

Went out on Buffalo last night and found 3" of ice to were I was at. We fished in 20 feet of water and kept one 18" walleye. We realease 9 more that were in the 6" to 8" range. There were 4 of us fishing.

People are running 4 wheelers out there. I think they are nuts on those ice conditions.

Good Luck and be safe.

Todd

I was up to the BIG BUFF yesterday and got 5 crappies and a couple perch. The crappies were still a little finicky. We had a school of them keep swimming in and out of our area and they were very neutral to negative toward anything we thru at them. (aqua-view). we had 4-5 inches of real good ice at 20 foot depths.

I was up on Buffalo yesterday and got 5 crappies and 2 perch. The crappies were pretty finicky. We saw a school of crappies swimming in and out of our area (aqua-view) and they were neutral to negative toward anything we thru at them. we had 4-5 inches of real good ice at 20 foot depths.

anyone know what the latest ice conditons are after these last couple of cold days? Going out Tuesday for the day and was just wondering.

I was out this morning(12-18) and there was about 7" of solid ice in the holes we drilled. Out with the rest of the village.

Thanks for the update springerspeed, cant wait to get out tomorrow for the first time. Hopefully Buffalo will come through for us!