• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

we are getting alot of people viewing, nobody reporting. Makes you wonder if anybody will really say? Anybody ? confused.gif

I haven't been by Washington lately but I would assume with the conditions of the other lakes in the area that I have been checking that the ice is still a bit trecherous. With these next few cold nights though it will be gettin there!!!

I know that even when all the other lakes have good ice Washington still has a way of getting people wet so I would be careful.

I live on washington and the ice in bakers bay is only 2 inches i drilled a couple holes today to check. All the snow is really slowing down the progress. I really want to get out, but not safe yet frown.gif

this snow is really slowing the ice making down. tetonka has 1.5 to 2 with some spots 1 throw of the chisle it goes thought. confused.gif With these cold nights it should be putting down an inch a night frown.gif

A big wind would take care a lot of that snow. Hopefully that big wind comes sooner rather than later otherwise we could be in a for real mess. I've seen it happen before. So, as always, continue to be careful when venturing out!

as Team Otter said, we've seen it happen before.

Many lakes have shallow structure that has a bad habit of taking in vehicles i.e. The Narrows or Squirrel's Nest Point. Even with 2-3 feet of ice, vehicles still go through.

Here's my take on why:

as most, or all, of you know, when the lakes are making ice, it's increasing the pressure under the ice. This causes the ice to crack to relieve the pressure and causes the pressure ridges that we always see the vehicles catching air from. If at the wrong time, vehicles pass while these areas are at their weakest point, they can/will go through.

But why are the narrows the worst? As vehicles are traveling across the lakes, they are bowing the ice, increasing the pressure in that spot. As this area is pushed under the vehicles, it pushes a wave like a boat in the water. Once this wave action hits a point like the narrows, it increases this pressure to the point that when the vehicles hit the rebounding wave the ice cracks and down the vehicles go.

Be smart and be safe.

Good explanation even though we're along ways from driving out. We can all put that advice in the "memory bank".

Right now, we need the snow to disappear. This is just acting as a layer of "insulation" for what could be good ice. Talk about a perfect night for making ice, especially if there wasn't any snow.

Mud bay on Washington has 4 inches on about the southern 1/3. Beyond that 2 inches. Last night was -6 from about 10:00 on, so there should a bit more ice today.

I'm thinking of getting out this weekend. With the weather as it is there should be enought ice for walking on. My guess is that I will not be the only one. Have a good one and be safe!

Well, i was just out and checked the ice on washington, madison and eagle. Actually i fished eagle for an hour and a half but didnt mark anything. The ice was about 2.5 there, but not in all spots. I made it out about 100 yards and that was enough. Washington and madison, my spud bar went through with one throw about 10 feet out. So no fishing there. The ice is very spotty, so be careful if you go out today

Good report Mr Sloppy. Thank you.

Like I said earlier...I'll be sticking to the honker hunting for a little while yet.

I too tried Eagle for a bit today. There were two houses out there when I got there. I was surprised there wasn't more ice. Things got slushy under my house and it seemed like that 2 1/2 inches kept getting thinner so I decided to head back in after half and hour or so. This snow on the ice has me spooked.

Flipper out

Quote:

Good report Mr Sloppy. Thank you.

Like I said earlier...I'll be sticking to the honker hunting for a little while yet.

plenty of those flying around here lately. It's been a constant wave leaving the well known area northeast of town.

I'm sure you know where I'm talking about Team Otter.

That's an interesting way of putting it, never heard it explained like that before. Do you mean to say that the ice is releasing some sort of pressure from down in the water or something or that the ice is cracking because water expands when it freezes? I will agree with your second point. Driving on the ice does cause waves under the ice which is one reason to GO SLOW out there.

you're correct. As the ice accmulates, it increases the pressure under the ice, which is why you see those cracks shoot between your feet while sitting in your fish house shocked.gif It has to relieve that pressure somehow.

There will be no fishing for awhile on washington. I was just out there. Walked out 25 to 30 feet. I just about lost my bar through the ice. I thought there would be more ice. There was 2 1/2 to 3 inches at most. You could see the thin water spots on the lake with the snow melting alittle in areas. I was hoping this weekend, but with the cold snap we have had, less then and inch of ice over the last 3 days frown.gif

I also went to lake Emily, walked out about 35 feet, drilled a hole, 3 inches at most. This snow is really holding the ice from forming good. If anybody else has other reports I would like to hear them. Sure is not worthing falling in for, but I am ready. grin.gif

i was at washington westwood tonight and to my surprise somebody DROVE on the ice tire tracks out about 10 feet crazy people just plain crazy

I was out on Washington tonight with a buddy. We walked to Bakers Bay from Westwood. The ice is between being safe and unsafe. There were spots that seemed to be 5-6 inches thick then there were other spots that only took two hits to break through. Well the fishing wasnt nothing to brag about but we caught a fair number of panfish and a few crappies but the fish were super finiky. Well it looked as though we were the first people to fish out in Bakers Bay. Anyone got advice on how to trigger these finiky fish to bite. I am sure this weekend it will be a zoo out there with this warmer weather and the ice somewhat cooperating now.

Try pinching off the tail end of a wax worm, so the wax worm is leaving a "trail" of fluid behind it when in the water. Also, a very slow lift and drop often times works better than jigging when finicky. In fact, just resting the lure in front of the fish can often be the ticket.

Anybody been out the past couple of days?

Anybody have intentions of going out this weekend?

I'm thinking of going out this afternoon. I always used to wish for snow, but this year I couldn't care less for it. How long until we get some decent ice? We have had all these cold temps in the past two weeks and the ice still seems to be at a stalemate. This is no fun.

I made it out Friday afternoon onto Crystal Bay straight out from Westwood. The ice was 2.5 to 3 inches thick. I stayed on a path where others had walked and wore a PFD under my parka. There was good panfish action but the bite was very lite. Thanks to some posts I've read here in the past I was able to adjust my strategy and land some fish. There are a couple inches of snow and slush on top of the ice. Hopefully we can get some more cold weather!

Went out of the north landing this afternoon followed a worn path out obout 100 yards then you had to use the chisel there were spots i decided to go the other way so be careful. The normal sunfish and small perch were being caught. Ice was anywhere from 1 inch to 4 inches.

browning83 were you fishin out of the north landing today?

Yeah that was me out on the north access. I ended up doing pretty good. Had to sort a lot out to find the good ones. Well if you ever want to meet up out there give me a post.

Will do browning83 probably next weekend actually.

I didnt do much fishin that day i was havin to much fun just being out for the first time.

What was the deal with those guys pulling the fish traps back from third point they looked pretty confident on where they were stepping.