• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gettin on the lake???

goose pit

My buddy and I are planning on hitting the lake the first weekend after new years. We plan on leaving right after work and should be there around 1 or 2 in the morning. We plan on sleeping in one portable and fish out of the 2 man fishtrap during the day. My question is, I don't souppose any resorts will be open at that time of the night, so how can we get on the lake without having to go out of a public landing(heard some bad things about going out from them in the winter) Is it possible to call ahead and get a weekend pass?? Any info would be helpful.

If you know what area you would like to fish then I would recomend you call ahead to a resort and let them know your intensions.

It is better to be a customer and befriend a resort as opposed to becoming a customer due to an unforseen situation. shocked.gif $$$ frown.gif

I have drove on in the middle of the night and returned during normal business hours to square up with the resort.

Good Luck...

I,ve done that also, when I get to the lake before the guys at the landing are open for business. I remember coming off Mir Mar one afternoon and stopping to pay my road fee. They were surprised that anyone would do that when I could have just driven away. I have also left notes on the door describing my truck and giving its license number and telling them I'll pay when they're open. It never hurts to be honest, especially in a place where you might need help.

what bad things happen using a public access? If conditions permit I'll use any public access available, thats what their there for. I've got no problem using a fee access if I need to(deep snow or ice heaves) but why pay if its unnecessary.

i used the public parking ,to come off the lake only to have my truck towed back to elk river .some one smashed all the windows,mirrors,inside and out.10,000$ damage.what a bad ending to a good day of fishing.only costed me 750$ deductible.what a bunch of bs......

Mille Lacs can be a tricky lake with the ice to go out of the public access but the other reason I would pay is the resort is the one to spend time and wear on their trucks to plow and maintain roads!! Plus if you have any trouble on the lake you have a better chance that the resort will help you and have what you need before the guy fishing for the weekend that came to relax!!!! Granted once you get on the lake it is public water but if you go out of public access maybe you should make your own roads.....