• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice conditions

just returned home from an area lakes drive and have some news that might be of some interest marion had about 2.5 " on the north bay and clear by stalls had about 3 to 4 " about 65 yards out (talked to some guys at marion that had drilled those holes. then stopped by swan by silver lake on my way home and there were 4 people out there fishing and they said they had about 4" there. Also jenny had holes drilled out about 75 yrds from the south landing but I never went out to check the thickness. I'm new to the forum so hello to all

Checked Clear by Gibbon this morning 1-1/2" at best. I think the snow cover is hurting the making of ice big time. How much snow is on Marion or those other hutch area lakes?

I say there is maybe 2" of snow in spots but on the north bay where we were today there are spots where it is gray blue looking from cracks. not ready yet!!! not for me anyway maybe a couple more days of cold weather, that was only about 15 yrds out from shore

silver lake guy 2, welcome to the site. Great first post. I'm hoping to get out this weekend. The lake I fish near Howard Lake has about 2.5 - 3.5 inches of ice on it as of tonight. Maybe tomorrow night I can pick up where I left off last winter with the crappies - only if I'm comfortable with the ice conditions.

Be Carefull Everybody

Hey Loebs... What Lake around Howard lake are you talking about? I'm fairly familiar with most lakes in that area. Just curious... smirk.gif

Hey Loebs, Saw your pic on (Contact US Regarding This Word)... Figured out what lake you were talking about... I fished that lake a few times last winter. Not too bad not too good either. Got quite a few smaller than hand size craps and sunnys. Anyway, is that a chain pickeral you are holding in that pic?

Yeah that lake can be hit and miss - mostly miss though. The fish in my avatar is a spotted musky I got out of Sugar Lake this fall. The spots on this species are far more distinct when they are immature like this one. It sure is neat looking.

BEWARE OF MARION!!! I heard there were four inches of ice out there, and I went and checked. Not so. There were transition areas near the shore where the lake had blown open and then got covered with snow. Under those new spots there is only about an inch to an inch and a half. So watch out. Same thing with Silver. There is too much uneven ice.

Be safe, and have fun...