• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins Get Castilla

redlake

Marlins trade Castillo to Twins for two pitchersESPN.com news services

The Florida Marlins have traded Luis Castillo to the Minnesota Twins for pitchers Travis Bowyer and Scott Tyler, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported Friday.

Luis Castillo

Second Base

Florida Marlins

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

122 4 30 72 .391 .301

The 24-year-old Bowyer, who appeared in eight games in September for Minnesota, could become Florida's closer.

Castillo hit .301 with with 10 stolen bases, 30 RBI and four home runs in 122 with the 2005 Marlins.

He follows Carlos Delgado and Josh Beckett, who have been shipped out in the Marlins' fire sale.

The team has received permission from Major League Baseball to begin looking for another home because it has been unable to reach a deal for a new stadium in South Florida.

Good table setting guy. He will probably bat leadoff or second. He has also been a gold glover a couple times too, so we are getting a sound defensive player too.

Keep em comin TR! smile.gif

I am glad to see the Twins get in when a team decides to get rid of their players. Now--for a power hitting third baseman and a DH that can use the baggy in right field!!

Quote:

I am glad to see the Twins get in when a team decides to get rid of their players. Now--for a power hitting third baseman and a DH that can use the baggy in right field!!

Add to that a couple new pitchers to replace Mays and Mulholland.

Quote:

Add to that a couple new pitchers to replace Mays and Mulholland.

Liriano/Baker will replace Mays. Mullholand will be replaced by a bucket of chew-spit. grin.gif

Who wants to see bonds? hes getting too old for the NL, its about time for him to come AL for a DH role.

Zelmsdawg

Quote:

Castillo hit .301 with with 10 stolen bases, 30 RBI

Just what we need, another singles hitter

At least its a singles hitter who can hit .300. Most of the "singles" hitters we had last year hit around .250 if that. But I agree I would like to see a 30+ home run guy.

we needed a 2nd baseman very bad, now we have one. like said earlier, we need a bat with some pop. we need DH that can hit it over the fence and also drive in runs.

Yes its nice to see the twins pick up their best addition to the team since Stewart 2 1/2 years ago. We still have plenty of hitting issues to address. Power from the left and right would be nice. Our pitching staff will be fine, intact, I cant wait to watch theese young guys go out and try to find a good role on this team.

I'm thinking that this signing saved Hunter for another year and Stewart will have career numbers with a quality slapper behind him.

If an average player like Furcal can get huge jack from the Dodgers, even more average J. Jones must be looking for a huge payday.

I really like the trade! At least we know what we're getting...i hope. We needed a 2nd baseman and unlike Mr. Boone I don't think anyone is ?ing the power behind his 4 homers!

Now for that power hitter. Its really a tough time in baseball to find a true power hitter. Due to all the new steroid rules its hard to sort out the pure hitters from the roiders. No GM wants to throw huge coin at a power hitter only to watch his body breakdown and not produce during his contract. Maybe the reason some of these guys are available is because team trainers know which guys were on the juice. I work with a guy whose brother was the equipment manager for the Rockies, and he said he could tell the guys on roids because he had to order larger hats for them. The Roids would make thier heads grow. The individual organizations in MLB had a real good idea which of thier players took steroids. I don't like how stingy the twins are most times, but with a "small market" budget it can be a real gamble going for the big hitters.

I also think they need to find a way to get LEW into the lineup more. Maybe as a right fielder.

Unless the Twins get a real big name to DH, the position will go to waste. The Twins have, in recent years, used the DH as a rehab postition for guys coming off an injury. Lecroy had decent hitting numbers when he got some at-bats lumped together. Givin, he was, as Gardy put it, a roadblock on the basepaths, but the few times he could get 24-30 at-bats in a week he would get dialed in a little bit. I would be curious to see how many at-bats Chili Davis got and compare that to all the DHs the Twins have had since.

OK Twinkie Fans,

Can you picture The Big Hurt in a Twinkie uni?

He's available and should be healthy. Lots of power, could give the baggie dome a work out? Just ax-in!

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Quote:

OK Twinkie Fans,

Can you picture The Big Hurt in a Twinkie uni?

He's available and should be healthy. Lots of power, could give the baggie dome a work out? Just ax-in!

YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

I would love to have him and I think it's worth the chance.

Frank Thomas has a bad attitude, we don't need him! Besides, what has he done the last couple of years?

I think that they'll regret getting rid of Mays, they say it takes a couple of years for a pitcher to recover from Tommy John surgery. Watch him go out and get 15 wins this year for whoever signs him. Liraino and Baker are good prospects, but they didn't light the world on fire last fall. They'll be lucky to pitch .500 ball and have 10 wins between them. They're just a cheap alternative to getting an established starter.

I don't think they'll regret it. Either way you slice it the guy still has a 82 mph fastball and is a donut thrower. smirk.gif

Liriano and Baker are cheap right now, but they will be good. Let them get a chance. I think you'll see they both will become good starters on this team and Liriano has the ability to be a front line starter in a year or two.

It's Official: The Big Hurt is ON THE MARKET.

Word in the Windy is that the Twinkies are looking???

CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES...or...NO?

you are correct. In the paper this morning Thomas and his agent met with Ryan to discuss a possible contract. I say sign the guy he will be the best power hitter on the team if he stay's healty.

Good riddance to Mays, I say. Has ONE good year, signs for big cake, and proceeds to go down the toilet- Tommy-John surgery or not: He certainly is not worth the $ 5 mil. per year the Twins were wasting on him. Maybe he will get velocity back, maybe not. But velocity was not his only issue. He could not locate his pitches last year to save his life. Everything he threw up there was absolute cheese. So why should/would the Twins pay him 5 large per year while he allows 10 hits and 6 runs over 3 2/3 innings all season. No way, Jose. I think Liriano/Baker is a much better option-not just because they make 1/10th of what Mays did either. They are both promising young hurlers. Both did decent in minors, both have serious heat. Baker did quite well upon call-up last Fall, if anyone recalls.

I would like to get one of the guys that Texas is getting rid of. Soriano just got traded for a few nobody prospects. I would of liked to of gotten him, but I know he will make to much and we will not fork over the players. We still have a shot at getting Hank Blaylock from Texas, and possible Kevin Mench also. That would rock, let Jones go and and Mench and Blaylock. Stewert, Hunter and Mench in the outfield would be a start. Blaylock at third and Mornoeu at first with Castilla at 2nd with whoever at short. Not a bad lineup compared to last year. Add this to one of the leages best young starting pitching staffs, and we have a chance. Go get them Ryan.

I would like to get one of the guys that Texas is getting rid of. Soriano just got traded for a few nobody prospects. I would of liked to of gotten him, but I know he will make to much and we will not fork over the players. We still have a shot at getting Hank Blaylock from Texas, and possible Kevin Mench also. That would rock, let Jones go and and Mench and Blaylock. Stewert, Hunter and Mench in the outfield would be a start. Blaylock at third and Mornoeu at first with Castilla at 2nd with whoever at short. Not a bad lineup compared to last year. Add this to one of the leages best young starting pitching staffs, and we have a chance. Go get them Ryan.

My favorite part of the offseason is that, as of right now, Chicago is tied for last place in the devision. tongue.gif and the Twins are tied for first grin.gif