• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hillmans

MN_Iceman

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with Hillmans. I have rented a couple of sleepers with them and just wondering how the sleepers are and if they put you on the fish. I will be bring up portables also to stay mobile but just wondering how they are. Any info would be great.

I have had very good luck with the Hillman's. They have done me right. Tlked to them yesterday, and they have there road marked out 2.5 miles already. Don't think I would go that far, but that is there business. CAJ

Buddy runs a great ship. I can only say positives for everything he does up their. Takes alot of work by all those guys to maintain roads, houses, and staying near the fish. I have rented from Buddy the past three years, and last year was just awesome. Had our limit (-1) so we could keep fishing, for two within the first hour and a half, and then proceeded to catch and release another 30 to 40 big slabs through out the day. It was a great 24 hours and probably will never experience that fast and furious of a bite again, but WHO Knows?. That kind of intense bite is what keeps you going up their year after year. Thus creating the TRIANGLE Effect, as you never know what could happen next????????

MN Iceman:Nice name ! Kind of like it. We stayed at a place near Hillmans last year and won't stay there again but will be calling Hillmans this year after hearing direct reports from guys that I work with. Because of forum policy I won't say who I won't use again. Why?is because they tried to double charge us(had to prove a payment was mailed and cashed, lousy book keeping on their part), put us in a way smaller house than was agreed upon on the phone and never checked in with us. We left in disgust .

mniceman, i have not rented from hillmans as I have never needed to but I have taken guide from buddy and I can tell you that the guy knows what he is out there for and he will put you on the fish if they are out here to be caught, same goes for anyone running within the likes of hillmans crew. Good luck to you! smile.gif

Buddy works hard both in running a road and putting people on fish. They are Fishing MN Sponsors. Hillman's, 218-647-8652.

MN Iceman -

We also stayed at a place near Hillman's last year and were really disapointed with the house and service. The folks were nice enough, but we did not get what we agreed upon over the phone, and we were never checked in on. I won't say who it was - needless to stay we have booked with another outfit for this year.

I stayed in one of Buddy's houses a few years back (before getting a crank up house). It was by far the best fishing I ever had on URL. Highly recommended.

Pete

thanks for all the respones. I cannot wait to get up there again. Should be a great weekend and hopefully fish filled. Anything to get out of the city.

Kelly, That reminds me of the description of an Iowa tourist. He puts on a clean pair of bib overalls before leaving, and puts a ten dollar bill in one chest pocket and a copy of the ten commandments in the other. He tries to go all week without breaking either one. grin.gif

I guess there is good and bad no matter where you go. We went there last year and the people are good. The propane lights did not work, they tried to fix the lights which was nice of them but that did not work. Unless they get newer houses we will not go back.

[Please read forum policy before posting again. Post is ok as is now]

There are some $5000 dollar houses that sit in the same spot all year and barely see a fish. Buddy keeps his houses on the fish. I would rather catch fish.

I brought a group of 28 guys to Hillman's last year. The sleeper houses were in pretty poor condition, but my group isn't that picky. That being said, every one of our 5 or 6 houses caught fish, and quite a few. Buddy seemed like a good guy and was committed to putting us on fish. We've booked again for this year, I hope we get some of the newer houses!!!

That's Great to hear they got some new shacks!!! Would defiantly go back if that is the case. Cool!!

No doubt Buddy is a good guy, but I rented a house for three people last year, very cold. The house had two beds and we had three people and he said Ill bring you a cot. No problem, the door would not close and it was 35 below zero, the fish house was not what I expected. I called to make sure it would sleep three people, so just let me know, I dont need any surprises when I get on the lake. I don't mind paying anyone for their service and their house but give me the straight facts. My Son in Law came with me and he was not happy being 6ft 4" tall and had to sleep on a cot. I was not happy frown.gif

First off, we went up there, and the lady at the baitshop told us to "just go out about five miles and put your flashers on, and wait for a white Dodge Dakota"

We finally see a truck, followed by a line of cars/trucks, and they turn off, about a hundred yards before us, with a line of houses. So, we make a U-Turn, and drive up to the truck. We tell him we're renting from Hillman's, and the guy (never even said his name, dunno if it was Buddy or not) just walked over to a house, looked inside, and put us in that one. We caught two walleyes, and one perch. Anyways, we still had fun hanging out, but the service was less then what we usually get at Mille Lacs. I've only been there once, and I'm just sharing my story, so there may be extenuating (probably butchered that word) circumstances I didn't know about, but... yeah.

Quote:

so there may be extenuating (probably butchered that word) circumstances I didn't know about, but... yeah.

LOL. I'm kicking myself right now because I know the correct spelling of that word but can't come up with it. You probably got closer than myself, and I consider myself a fairly well educated individual! grin.gif

Hello this is Nightman from Elkriver/Becker Has any body been fishing on URL? My first trip is planned for Jan.27th too long to wait! I'm thinking about trying Dec. 30th going to take a chance and drive up and renting a house. If nothing else I;ll hang out at the West Winds Bar and Grill. If I get out fishing I"ll let you Know. But in the meen time if you guys venture out and catch some Crappies would appreciate a FYI: on the sizes and location? and the beer drinking ( Love my Beer) Till next time and hopefully I have lots of Fishing Lies to tell, Ha HA Later

Kelly P hows the fishing out of West Winds, Been coming up for the past four years renting houses from them. Alway Had a great time been dating a girl from Red Leke ( Pohnema ) not sure how to spell it! Do you know of a Gentle Spider" We think he's the greatest. We have rented from him a few time and alway helped us out in a pinch? Meening rent his house out spur of the monent type.... All cool can't wait until the next trip. I have Jan. 27th and Feb. 17th renting house out of West Winds and maybe we'll see you around. If see spider say some old renters say Hi. Later