• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Albino deer shot in Wisconsin

jbell1981

Would you shoot one given the opportunity? Does Minnesota have similar laws against shooting one? An Albino buck would make one heck of a trophy, but I don't think I would be able to shoot one if it ever came in sight.

Are asking would you shoot it if it wasn't illegal? The buck in question here was protected by Wisconsin law and the poacher is in big trouble. I hope no one would shoot it under those circumstances. I'm not aware of a similar law in MN, I've not saying there isn't, just have never heard of it and have never looked either.

Yes would you if it was legal in Minnesota. Obvioulsly the answer to my question would be no if hunting in Wisconsin due to the legality factor.

was there an albino shot in WI?

I hope it wasnt' the one around Mason!! that deer has been there forever.

Nick Bogdan

Pro Hunting Team/ Sales Associate

Optics4hunting.com

(800) 246-6285

[email protected]

Here is the story:

ASHLAND, Wis. — The shooting of an albino buck deer has irked some Bayfield County residents who watched it grow up, and authorities are considering criminal charges in the matter.

It's illegal to shoot albino deer in Wisconsin.

No hunter had an excuse for shooting the deer because "there's no brown on him at all,'' said Linda Krajenka, an upset Cable resident who with other neighbors admired the albino buck for nine years, almost like a pet.

Mark DiSalva, a warden for the state Department of Natural Resources, said the deer was shot Nov. 21 in the Cable area near Crystal Lake.

Bayfield County District Attorney Craig Haukaas said he was reviewing investigative reports and was considering options that included civil forfeiture for illegal possession of a deer as well as possible criminal charges.

"It wasn't a good thing to do and a lot of people over in the Crystal Lake area are pretty angry,'' he said. "They have watched this thing grow up for a lot of years.''

Di Salva declined to discuss any other details, including whether more than one person may have been involved.

"We are still in the process of looking at the charges. It's not a simple either-or-situation. We are exploring options on that,'' he said.

They're legal in MN. Here's the reply from the DNR.

Kevin Kyle [[email protected]]>>>>>

No they are not protected. They can be taken in MN. Kevin

>>> "Sengchanh, Phillip (MN23)"

>>> 12/02/05 12:17 PM >>>

Are Albino deer protected in MN? I believe they are in Wi, just wondering about our state.

Yeah, there is no protection for such a deer in MN. A deer is just a deer and there is nothing special about an abino or white deer. Like the original poster said, it might be hard squeezing the trigger on such an odd-ball of an animal, unless my mind is clouded with the sight of its awesome antlers which will cause me to see no other color but brown (antler color). Brown is down. grin.gif

Does anyone know if there are pics of the deer or not? I want to see what a 9 year old albino looks like. Also anyone know why they are protected? Is the albino in the genetics? Or is it just a freak of nature?

If I had an albino come by my stand I wouldn't think twice about shooting it. If I could hit it, it would be down.

An albino is a genetic anomaly, and it's also a freak of nature. The animal's fir/hair/feathers, whatever, contains no pigment. A true albino has pink eyes, as well. There also are records of what most people call "partial" albinism, where you see a robin, for example, with a bunch of white feathers on its wings.

It would be hard for me to shoot one. I'd be a LOT more likely to photograph it, instead. That would truly be a rare photograph! grin.gif

I've seen a spotted fawn with a full body mount in a glass case, that was half white. It was shot during firarm season, very strange. It seems to me it was the front half that was white, but I can't remember for sure, it was probably 8-9 years ago.

I would probably shoot it, but I guess it's hard to say until you actually have the opportunity. If it was big I definitely would.

I posted this earlier this year, it is from early spring time...

albinodeer.JPG

I took this early in May, there are at least 2 of them in the area... I was up camping in a park that was pretty much deserted so we saw them all week, was pretty neat... I do hunt but not for deer… I think if I did, I would let this one pass by, I know folks in the area like to walk through the park and the surrounding area just to watch them...

That sucks!!!

I have watched this deer for the last 4 years.

How can you be that stupid!!

Many families enjoyed this wonder of nature, and now some (Contact US Regarding This Word) doesn't know the laws and kills it!!

I hope they toss the book at this clown!!

Sorry, I just had to vent on this:)

Nick Bogdan

Pro Hunting Team/ Sales Associate

Optics4hunting.com

(800) 246-6285

[email protected]