• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

best muzzle bullets

Pikemaster101

Powerbelt bullets, 777 Powder Powder is clean burning and very easy clean up with no sulfer.

The Pyrodex pellets and Power Belt bullets. With this combo, the pellets drop right down the barrel and the bullets can be seated with your finger, just hit em with the ramrod and you're good to go. I've loaded some of them other plastic enclased sabots and it about kills ya, forget that if you ask me. Good performance with the powerbelts as well, especially when you're not gonna be shooting far like here in WI where you can't use scopes.

I shot a lot of different bullets getting sighted in, best out of my gun were T/C Shockwaves which are the same thing as Hornady SST bullets. They have an excellent reputation as a well designed, well manufactured, good performing bullet. But the key is they fly great out of my gun. I shoot them with 2 pyrodex pellets.

I've been using 295 grain powerbelts with 100 grains (2 pellets) of Triple 7 pellets as well. Wondering if anyone has tried different powder loads with loose powder to see if these bullets perform any better/worse in their gun at different powder levels?

Honestly for me, I dont plan on going out beyond 100 yds.

In fact, 75+ yds is my comfort zone with open sights on a ML.

I have done pellets and loose powder in the 777(100 grains in both cases) and honestly don't see any significant difference.

As far as bullets, I have tried to stay with 260 grain(I dont recall off hand if thats exactly the size).

At the distances I plan on shooting deer, I have not found a "secret" ingredient is necessary.

I can shoot a very consistent grouping out to 75 yds and that meets my criteria for a good kill shot any day of the week.

I've killed over 20 deer and one elk with 100 grains of powder (either pyrodex or 777) and a Hornady XTP 44mag 300 grain pistol bullet. It's a very good combination. In addition, it's much less expensive than powerbelts!

I shoot a similar setup. I'm burning 85 grains of 777 loose powder pushing a .452dia Hornady XTPmag in a sabot. I shot 240 gr XTP's last year and went up to the 300gr XTP mags this year because they hold up a bit better. For me the issue was money. I like to do a lot of shooting and I can shoot about twice as much with my setup then if I bought some Powerbelts or such.

JEV

I use two setups in mine right now. I load first with Barnes Expander 300 grain bullet with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets. The Barnes bullets seem to really do a number on impact. Of course almost any 300 grain bullet will.

On the second shot(which I never use) I usual a Powerbelt 295 grain bullet with two 50 pyrodex pellets. I do this because the Powerbelts are so much easier to load, especially with a little powder fouling in the barrel.

I can shoot these two setups pretty well out to 100 yards. In my gun they actually shoot very similiar. I probably can't touch bullets, but neither can anybody else with open sights or zero power scope. I'd bet though that I can hit the bottom of a 1 lb coffee can pretty regular from rest. Remember you're not splitting atoms you're shooting a deer.

I will say that the only reason I am using pyrodex is because I am trying to use them up. Then I will switch to 777 pellets because they have much less residue. Can't wait to get out this weekend in WI.

Quote:

I shoot a similar setup. I'm burning 85 grains of 777 loose powder pushing a .452dia Hornady XTPmag in a sabot. I shot 240 gr XTP's last year and went up to the 300gr XTP mags this year because they hold up a bit better. For me the issue was money. I like to do a lot of shooting and I can shoot about twice as much with my setup then if I bought some Powerbelts or such.

JEV

I did a lot of bench testing about 10 years ago and found the 300 grain bullets were more accurate than the 180-240's. My theory was the shorter bullets didn't grip the sabot as well was it sent down the barrel. At the time, I knew someone at Knight MZ'rs and he agreed they had achieved their best groups with the 44mag 300's. I guess the long, thin bullet was the key. I've only had 2 bullets 'stick' in deer/elk. All the rest have been pass throughs. Like you, cost is an issue and you can get a box of 50 bullets for $10 at Gander.

In this day and age, you really can't go wrong with any of the bullets that are out there. The most important thing is to find a powder/bullet combination that works for your gun.

180 hornody 44 cal pistol bullets with 120 grains pydrox loose powder. no drop out to 150yds and very accurate out of my gun. oh yea and hit like a ton of bricks.

I have been shooting Hornady SST bullets. This is what I got my moose with. Nicely mushroomed and recovered just under the hide on the other side. Of course it was only 10 yards so I think any bullet would have killed him. I am kind of stuck with the pointed bullets and I just read recently Barnes came out with a bullet kind of like the Hornady SST or Shockwave. Gonna try this bullet out and I like the idea of being a all copper bullet. Stick with what works best for you. Shoot straight! Brian