• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Underwater camera question

leech

Hi folks!

It's been a while for me since posting. I apologize. I can't wait to get up to Red again. Sounds like it won't be long though. My question is this. I am in the market for an underwater camera. Does anyone have any suggestions. I didn't think I would ever own one. My kids loved watching one when we tried one. Great fun for them. And....yeah! Me too!

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great!

Thanks!

I have an aqua-view and enjoy it in some situations. I have the older kind that only looks in one direction. I like using it if I am in a perm shack all day but do not use it if I am running around the lake drilling holes. Too big of a pain. More often I use my vex.

I agree. Works better in the shack. I also have the Aqua View. I bought a nifty little tripod for the camera. Someone came up with this at the last SportShow. I think Joe's Sporting Goods in St. Paul has them. You mount your camera on there and can adjust the height off bottom a little and tip it up or down. Then you just drop it down to the bottom. (Be careful not to stir the muck up too much). It takes the spin out of the camera. You can aim it at your bait and let'er be. If you are in any kind of current without something like this your camera is spinning or your spending time trying to adjust it. Another way to rig them is so they point straight down over your bait. But then you have the cable going down your fishing hole. It makes you wonder when you watch these fish and how they react to things. I've seen them sit there and look at your bait, then slowly swim away till you jig and they come back. They will do it over and over again. Till you go nuts. Other times they will come screaming in and nail it. The kids love it.

we must have been following each other around. I bought the tripod thingy to. Also a must have is the screen magnifier deal.

I have a Marcum and have been very satisfied with it. It bounced around the plow truck all last winter and still works. smile.gif There is an interesting Topic about cameras in the Ice Fishing Topic.

Quote:

It bounced around the plow truck all last winter and still works.
smile.gif

This means it was drug behind the truck, stuck under the augers, half frozen in a foot of snow and ice,slammed from side to side with the driver, and I'm sure it bounced OUT of the plow truck a couple of times. Yes Marcum cameras are super tuff! grin.gifshocked.giflaugh.gif

I bought an Atlantis about 6 years ago at the sports show. I would have been better off taking that $500 and betting it on the Vikes to win the superbowl. That thing is a piece of crap. It works well when it is operational but we have had constant trouble with the whole (Contact US Regarding This Word) thing, from camera to cables to screens. It is a blast using it when it works well. I usually fish LOW which you definately can't use a camera on. The water is so murkey that you can barely see 1.5 feet. I did use it on Mille Lacs once and was amazed with it. I could see about 30 feet. I have used it on a few other lakes where I've actually seen the fish strike (the bobber didn't move, the fish swam up with the bait) and set the hook and gotten them. That is a blast. But if I ever bought another it wouldn't be an Atlantis. We bought that because they had a smooth talking sales rep at the show and he told us about how much better they were than Aqua View. The Atlantis worked well when it wanted to but it is constantly broke.

It's been a tough camera,,,,,, wish I could say the same about the driver. grin.gif "tired and torn remains of a once proud empire". grin.gif

We use our camera pointing straight down from above the bait. On Red it needs to be within a couple feet above(depending on the water condition). The fish don't spook at all using it this way. It is fun watching them swim up to the bait. I have seen them bite and hang onto a waxie and the bobber never moves. I also watch them swim right by without even looking at the bait. Good entertainment.

Ron