• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing this weekend?

Here is what I'm thinking. If you know of a lake that is frozen over right now, and throw in the cold temperatures that are expected over the next few days, making one inch of ice each night is not unrealistic. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday... It seems to me that we will have walkable ice by the weekend. In fact, I bet there will be places in the metro with 6 inches or more.

Now, if we get some snow then it is a completely different ballgame. In any event, please be careful out there.

I know I will be trying one of the bays on prior. Should be ready by Saturday. I hope crazy.gif

CALVINIST

I chase walleyes on Tonka. But I usually only get out there 7-8 times over the course of winter. I fish the same places I catch the walleyes in the fall and do reasonably well. You see, my goal in the fall is to catch enough walleyes so that by the time the lakes freeze my desire to catch walleyes has been filled and I can concentrate on other lakes and other species of fish. I'm still looking for a true 16" crappie!

schr0563,

Didn't get out to Tonka much this fall, what types of areas do you usually have luck in the fall/early winter for eyes? steep drops with weeds..rock??

Whether I'm on a steep break or gradual sloping break I always set up along a weedline. If I'm not right on the edge then it is always close by. I typically fish in 16-18 feet of water. Rocks are also a plus.

I hope to find some fishable ice by Sunday. That would be two weeks earlier than last year for me. I'm ready to drill some holes, stare at the vex and ice some fish.

Calv==

I'm hoping to get some tipup action on certain Tonka bays by Sunday. If you don't know which ones, drop me a yugotmail and I'll point them out. Did well there last year first time out when the main lake wasn't safe yet.

ice

[email protected]

Upper East lake (Spring Park, Carmens and Old Channel bays) will be totally skimmed over by the morning. I'm guessing another 4 or 5 days before you can venture out with the current forecast.

Ice you daring thing you! I still got your e-mail address...if things look icy I'll give you a pop. I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to solo ice fishing, but I think I got enough equipment to get started. Well, I gotta get an auger, ya know.

Cal, I am thinking about an afternoon trip to P2 on Sat. Mid 20s no wind worth a shot to me. Care to jump in? Ice you're invited too.

Spring Park blew wide open with the nw winds today, it will be at least next weekend before there is walkable ice.

6"? is that six inches as judged by a man or woman? smile.gif

as badly as i want to hit my first ice spots, i will have to wait until someone even dumber and fatter than me proves that it's safe.

Appreciate the invite Mark but it's birthday party Saturday for me. Best I can hope for is a couple of hours someplace on Sunday. Keep me in mind, though. I've never been on the river there and would love to give it a try.

ice

I can't do it either Mark. We'll definitely hook up on the ice soon though. Ice9 too...gotta fish with that weird Ice9 guy cool.gif!

Good luck. Tonka Boy going with you?

Nope. The 494 camera showed a lot of ice on P2 so I may head down to P4 instead - or spend the day changing blades on my augers and tuning them up.

I tried two small lakes this morning and the chisel went through on one punch on the first lake and two punches on the second frown.gif. These lakes were both locked up on Tuesday. The snow seems to be keeping the ice accumulation down even with the cold weather. Anyone know if Wayzata Bay is frozen over yet?

LOL Wayzata bay is one of the last places in the metro to freeze over. Start by checking the smaller neighborhood lakes first.

Wayzata is still open for the most part as of this afternoon. I did get out on Sperzem Lake on Sunday afternoon and the ice was 4 inches out to 100 yards then one punch and through with the chisel. I tried fishing on the good ice for 1 hour and didn't get a bite. I then hit another lake and fished on 3 inches with a couple of other guys. 2 walleyes and 1 pike. Kept one 13 incher for dinner. Heading out tomorrow after work. I'd post the lake, but I wouldn't want it to look like the Forest Lake Ice fishing contest out there.