• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tree Saddle.. anybody use one?

Deitz Dittrich

I have been looking at getting a tree saddle for next season. Anybody use one, and what do you have to say about it. I would like it for a few places where i walk back a ways on public land and dont want to have to carry in a lock on or climber...

Deitz

I've got one but have yet to try it out. Looks like a slick deal if it works half as good as I think it will. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

I've had a Summit Viper for two years and although it is very comfy, it's a pain to get set up quietly day in day out. Especially in the dark, or when you're cold at the end of the day. Too much dinkin around to leave.

If I get a chance to try it out I'll give you my thoughts. I thought about trying one out after reading the book "Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails". Super good book that gives good practical info, not from some glorified expert that only hunts big tracts of private land in Iowa, Kansas, Pike County,IL , or Buffalo county, WI.

Also, the appropriate name for it should be the "Tree Diaper" cause that is what it looks like (According to my buddies).

They look interesting, but do you have to stand on your tree climbers the whole time or do you just straddle the tree and let your feet hang? I might be missing something, but it looks like it would be uncomfortable after a couple hours.

MJ, you can either use the bottom of a climber stand, or use screw in tree steps to stand on. Supposedly if you set it up so that your feet rest on the tree steps and your knees rest against the tree a little they are VERY confortble.. I am going to try one out at cabelas this weekend I think. The nice thing I think would be to be able to hide behind the tree from the deer.

Plus like you mentioned above the mobility it offers really can't be beat. Let us know how it goes.

I climb and trim trees professionally and these type of tree seats are very comfortable!! I purposly bought a safety harness for my tree stand that wraps around the legs so I can hang by the seat of my pants rather than stand. My butt gets less tired and so do my feet.

I am very interested in trying one of these in the near future. To answer one of the questions, you can suspend on the harness and its like a personal hammock. The steps or climber portion is only for support to stand on if you need it or if you need to move around the tree and want to stand rather than push out from the tree.

I worked for Davey Tree and I am starting with the City of Hopkins on Monday as a full-time Forestry employee. I can't wait to start climbing trees again.

I have used the tree saddle and they suck. I used mine twice and then I returned it. The tree step Idea does not work. Plus when I shot out of it I was a bit wild. Think that has to do with the angle of your body.

Had you ever used something similar to the saddle before? I have practiced shooting this year hanging from my normal full-body safety harness and I love it. I don't like how it attaches high in my back, but the saddle will be different.

• 3 weeks later...

did you try it out yet?

to me it seems to be ultimate in portability but i also wonder if i could hang for 4 hrs without substantial cramping..

also do you feel safe using this system?

The designer of the saddle was at Cabela's grand opening and he sat in two days straight all day long short of bathroom breaks. I think it is very comfortable but the only drawback is taking the time to practice setup and shooting from it. Using climbing spikes to get up and four tree steps to swivel around on is the way to go.

I would seriously advise against using climbing spikes on any live tree. It is very harmful to the tree. You create many open wounds on the tree for bugs and disease to enter. If you want your stand trees to die then use the spikes.

I started using the Bucksteps. You can get up 20 ft and they only weigh 10 lbs. The Lone Wolf climbing sticks are also as light.