• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Colorado waterfowl hunting

Hi guys, fellow Minnesotan here. But mover to Colorado 11 years ago. Just wanted to tell ya all we have great Snow geese over decoys field hunting and wonderfull river pass shoting nice big mallards out here, send some more down are way.

Shoot em up before ice up....Mikinaak cool.gif

well the season ends today... and most of the area around here is iced up except for the bigger lakes.

Overall what is the story with waterfowl in CO? Is it limited to certain parts of the state or can you get on birds anywhere? Ive never been there myself but my girlfriend is moving to Ft. Collins for school and I always wondered what waterfowling would be like out there. Is there a decent amount of field hunting and is it decent for getting permission? I live in SD and do my share of waterfowling and it would be sweet if I could whack some birds when get out there to see her sometime.

I have a brother in law near Greely that has some land and lake rights that go with it. Later in the season he says ther are thousands of canadian geese in the area. He says he has a lot of people ask him permision to hunt so I figure it must be a good spot. My question is are the honkers really educated later in the season or would they decoy? If the geese were huntable I might consider a trip in the winter. My brother in law doesn't hunt geese so he's not to much help as far as info.

Thanks for any input, Wayne

Wayne, The geese are smart and we use large speads of decoys to fool them, are resident population seem to come in best to the decoys but do get educated late in the season. We can hunt geese into feb. '06.

pietigb, I seek out and find plenty of state lands, seems like theirs always a spot smewhere to hunt if you look.

I'm unfamilar with the Fort Collins/Greely area, but give it a shot or drive south....here the skivvy.

There is great duck and geese hunting out here in Colorado and it last a long time. Up towards Denver and heading east is the Platte river system, have never hunted it but a friend tells me its great hunting.

We do have thousands of snow geese that try and stay as long as they can, we also get tons of canadians along with a good amount of ducks. If we have a mild fall and mild winter on the front range (the area east of the mountains is refered to as the front range) pass shooting and over decoys lasts for a long time. Much longer than a Mn. season. Lived in Mn. most of my life but have been out in Colorado for 10 years now going on 11.

I hunt the Arkansas river down near Rocky Ford its east of Pueblo if you get out the map and hunt it all the way to the Queen's lakes area. My son and myself saw 15,000 snow geese on Nee Noo See last weekend, it was awesome.

Its snowing right now and am waitting for everyone to wake up...if we don't go today we will be going tomarrow morning.

Can always use a fellow Minnesotan out hear! cool.gif