• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Superior Winter Trout Fishing

Does anyone have any information they would like to share regarding where to go, mostly like in WI, on Superior for some good Laker fishing through the ice? We usually go up to Clear Water West in Ontario but are looking for something alittle more close to home here in Duluth.

Look up Jim Hudson on the Wi. forum he is your man for Lakers thru the ice on Superior. Also knows where the Coho, Walleye and Smallies are as well.

If you have any trouble e-mail me and I will get ya his phone numbers. [email protected]

Hey nblasin:

Welcome to FM. Lots of great info here. grin.gif

I know Jim's "the man" for this stuff, but I've seen a lot of chatter on this board about trout/salmon thru the ice on L.S. off the Wisconsin shore in the last couple years, so as well as putting nblasin in Jim's capable hands, anyone got more immediate how-to or where-to info?

Wish I could give it myself, but I moved up here from Superior before I had a real chance to get out on the big ice off Ashland and that area. frown.gif

nblasin

Hey man... First off, I want to welcome you to FM. Great to see you here!!

The season will kick off here hopefully by mid December, as we get some ice in Chequamegon Bay itself... Early ice, we will see some Lakers in and around the 30FOW depths near Ashland. A person can search these fish out near the Lighthouse area. A bonus, you can run into browns, splake, salmon, and walleyes at the same time your fishing these Lakers. But in short order, as the ice thickens, these fish start to disperse, making their way to deeper water.. These fish will mostly be smaller, with an occasional big fish caught. The good thing about this area, is you can get away with lighter tackle then you will need for when the ice starts to settle into the Apostles... But, just like fishing in the Apostles, your gonna need an ATV or snowmobile, as it is a long walk out to that area and by the time the ice is thick enough to drive on... most lakers are moved out...

Then as the end of December rolls around, we should be fishing out in and around the Apostle Islands.. A person can launch from Bayfield or Red Cliff, depending on where you want to fish... Again, snowmobile or ATV travel will be the only way to get out into the islands (unless you want to fish the ice road after that sets up). Here, fishing differs greatly from Clearwater or other inland waters... Deep water and a lot of current equals big baits and heavy equipment!!! At times, a person will be jigging up to three or more ounce spoons and flyers. With these lures, a heavy duty baitcasting set-up is needed!! I opt for custom made 32" graphite Thorne Bro professional series rods... but I know people who use the 36" Berkley Genz rods (or try the new Genz Stixx baitcaster), or HT heavy rods, and other custom made rods (such as rods from Midwest Rod and Reel) and have no problems. People still use the old bobbing set-up too and catch fish, a simple set-up that holds wire line that you attach your lure too. I won't run this type of set-up, as you have no drag and if you hook into a big fish, usually it will either break off or straighten out the hook!! The lure set-up usually involves cut bait herring or smelt (so dark down in these depths the extra scent can be the ticket to get bit) rigged onto these heavy locally made flyers or strip the cut bait onto the trebles of a spoon. Lures that I like are the Delansky Beetle, the Mackinaw Beetle, Luhr Jensen Crippled Herrings, RattleSnakie spoons, very large Pimples, 1 1/2 ounce Lindy Flyers, and the Piggy Back beetle (I know Marine General carries a lot of these items as does Outdoor Allure in the Washburn area). Places to search out fish... look for steep drops next to the islands and big flats between islands with depths ranging from 100FOW up to 300FOW. A light current is always good to have too... These are the areas the big boys roam, the occasional 30lb fish is caught each year and a few 40lb fish have been landed over the past couple of years. The average fish is going to run 2 to 5 lbs.

Well, I rambled enough here... If ya have any more questions, let me know. Either here, or feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Hey thanks for the help guys. I've been a long time user of this forum, but just recently started posting. If anyone ever needs any info about the Brainerd area let me know and i'll do my best to help, that is where i do some guiding in the summer.

Hey Nate! Thought that might be you. Shot me an email or give me a call, trying to put some plans together for this weekend.

Wirz