• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pheasant hunting Clothing??

esox49

What is everyone wearing for pheasant hunting clothes? I am looking for something warm, waterproof, breathable, plenty of pocket space, and roomy enough to shoulder a gun quickly. Please recommend some brands of clothing! Thanks

You cant beat Filson chaps for your legs, they go over your boot tops to keep the snow and whatever else out. They're windproof and keep you warm also. As far as up top totally depends on how cold it is.

I'm sure I'm a bit unorthodox in my attire but here goes. For cold weather hunting...

Head: Depending on how cold either an orange baseball hat, a stocking cap, or a multi-purpose Nordic Gear polar fleece balaclava that's also wind proof/water proof and is available at Cabelas. I always wear Wiley-X Saber shooting glasses for 2 reasons, the obvious safety reason and second if the wind is cold and blowing your eyes won't water near as much so you'll be able to see better.

Above the waist: Light weight Cabelas thermal underwear top, a thin cotton turtleneck over that, a cotton Cabelas hunting shirt. If it's colder I'll put on an insulated LL Bean hunting shirt over the top of the Cabelas hunting shirt. If it's really cold I'll wear Cabelas mid weight thermal underwear instead of the light weight stuff.

Below the waist: Light weight Cabelas thermal underwear, jeans, Wick brand chaps over the top of the jeans. If it's really cold I'll wear Cabelas mid weight thermal underwear.

Feet: Thorlo hunting socks. They make a liner and an over sock in both regular and thermal. I'll use the regular in all but the coldest weather. I use Danner uninsulated boots. They are lightweight and wear like iron for me. A bit expensive but worth it in my book.

Gear carriage: I use Cabelas Upland 1/2 vest to carry my stuff. Basically it's a waist belt with 2 divided front pockets and a rear game pocket. I put shells in one front pocket, and a camera, dog bell, and light gloves in the other pocket. In the game pocket I put everything else which is a water bottle for the dog, some dog energy treats, a lead, and maybe a baseball hat, stocking hat or heavier gloves. On my left side I use a leather game strap that attaches to my belt to carry any birds I've bagged. On my right side I use a nylon "holster" for my Tritronics transmitter which also attaches to my belt. All that stuff is supported by my waist and not my neck and shoulders. That is a big reason why I don't use a hunting vest or coat. Makes it easier for me to raise my gun and shoot accurately (believe me I need all the help I can get) after a long day of hunting.

There you have it. Gspman dressed for bird hunting from head to toe.

Basically I use the same clothes that I wear for deer hunting, adding or removing layers as needed. The key is the polypropalene underwear and socks, and the Rocky boots, uninsulated early in the season, insulated later on. Last Sunday, hunting in the fog and light rain, I had on a short sleeved polypro shirt, cotton long sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt that I've cut the arms and torso off of, its basically for neck warmth, my Columbia speed loading vest, and a blaze orange long sleeved light weight jacket that I got a Fleet Farm a few years ago, its got big side pockets that will hold my leather gloves without losing them. On my head was a light stocking cap. Pants are the nylon faced Gamehide pants. Sunday I wore the Rocky boots, Sat I wore hip boots because I wanted to get out on some ice and hunt cattails. If it gets colder, I'll add long underware and warmer insulated gloves. The Columbia vest is nice, its has enough pockets to hold birds and extra gloves.

Cabelas burns a hole in my pocket. grin.gif Fleet Farm and Gander Mtn burn a hole in my pocket too. I usually leave the checkbook in the truck when I go to those places. blush.gif It's never about what I need when I go there. Really who needs any of this stuff. It's all about what I want.

For a coat I have a Pella Bird-n-lite. I have a bad back and this coat has an internal suspension system that takes the weight of the coat/shells/birds and puts it on your hips. Polypro underwear top, a turtle neck and bottoms if its windy or below 20F. A fleece pullover top. Wool gloves, Cabela's nylon faced pants. Danner boots and a pair of gaiters if its wet or snow on the ground.

Danner boots, GoreTex gaiters, Filson chaps, Under Armour top, and a layer or two under my Cabela's vest. I have no problems getting the gun up with the vest and the weight has never been a problem. I highly recommend the gaiter/chap setup. I have even broke through the ice a couple of times and if you hot-foot it out of there, you dont even get wet feet. If you are slow, water will of course find its way under the gaiters and into your boots. Danner is worth the money in my book.

My 3 most important pieces of clothing for pheasant hunting: 1. Waxed cotton chaps. They are tough, water and wind proof when rewaxed each season. 2. Good boots. Lightweight for warmer weather (I have a pair of Cabela's upland boots that feel like sneakers they are so comfortable) and 800mg Thinsulate or more for below freezing weather (I have Cabela's 10 inch Outfitter boots and they are great). It's assumed, to me, that any boot should have a gore tex liner. 3. The best cold weather hunting gloves for me are insulated mechanics gloves. They are warm, form fitting so no problems with the trigger and have a leather palm for great grip.

And in general, no cotton near the body. Poly, fleece, wool, etc. They make it so we can be warm and dry!

That's how I see it.

Great points.

I agree the gloves issue is an important one. I use regular leather gloves that are fairly tight. They work well until it gets below about 15 degrees for me. I havent found anything I like for the really cold days. I bought some leather shooting gloves from PF I really like too, but dang near have them wore out.

Gloves are a key issue this time of year i agree, I think everyone has seen those white gloves with a blue palm, used for gardening and yard work, but they also have a line of the same glove that is used for the winter time. Nice and tight and warm as can be, i can get some for anyone that wants them about $6.oo a pair lemme know

When its not REALLY cold, I've been using baseball batting gloves. Thin and tight. Not particularly warm, but they keep your hands off the cold steel and somewhat out of the elements. They also have very good grip, and are easy to flip the safety on/off, and feel the trigger. As far as other gear, Im far behind you guys. I am wearing wind pants with whatever the weather of the day calls for underneath. I do have 2 sets of boots. One set is knee high and waterproof so getting back into the cattails in the earlier part of the season before its froze up has been possible while staying dry. The other pair is a little heavier, but more comfortable. On these cold days I've been wearing my duck gear with a blaze vest. On a tight budget I decided there is no point buying 2 sets of jackets, when one works just fine. It has 2 layers, so I can take the inner layer out when its a little warmer or Ive worked up a good sweat. I was out after that first storm in those 40+ mile an hour winds, and was still sweating after some hard working. I usually wear sunglasses as it helps to keep me from squinting and keeps me more aware of my surroundings. I use polarized glasses which helps reduce snow glare.

For gloves it has to get pretty cold before I have to wear any but then I use wool with that sticky stuff on the palms. Straight wool is to slippery.