• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

One last hunt!

Just wanted to see how many guys are going to make it out for the last day of waterfowling tomorrow. I know 5 of us are going to go out and plan to sit all day on the river. I think it's going to be an annual thing, just started last year. We sit from sun-up to sundown, bring food, camp chairs, a camp stove, etc. Last year was too warm so nothing was froze, this year the migration has already happened. But who knows? Hopefully the local geese and mallards will give us some action. If not, the BSing will have to keep us busy. Either way, it beats working! Good luck to any who go out!

Sounds like a good idea. Its always hard to let go of another waterfowl season. So what happens if yous limit out early grin.gif

was out on the river this morning. birds responded best to very little calling. ducks, and geese. ducks worked best when i gave a short greeting, but when they turned my way i used a drake whistle. pulled em in like nothing.

same with geese, a few honks here and there. don't pretend you're foiles and crew, it's not necessary. just copy the sounds the geese are making and you'll suck them right in.

if you live in maple grove then i assume you're going to dayton, we all where to go from there. if you go there, do me a favor and bring a trash bag. i picked up as much as i could this morning but i can't keep up with the amount of trash that gets left behind there. i paddle up in a kayak so there's only so much i can bring back with me.

thanks and good luck.........loc9

If we were lucky enough to limit out early, we'd probably pick up, head home, stash the gear and dogs and head out to a nice, warm local establishment for some grub and suds. I don't really expect that to happen, but it's a nice thought. grin.gif

loc9-

Actually I team up with some guys and head all the way down to Hastings in the late season. We just haven't gone up your way before to scout. But I will put it on my list for next year.

We had a pretty good hunt on the last day. 5 of us ended up with 7 mallards and 5 "bonus" shovelers, 4 of which came down with one shot at a tightly grouped flock of about 25! We jumped up too early on a nice flock of geese that was coming into our decoys so we didn't get any. With the strong wind it took the birds forever to get within range once they set their wings. It seemd like they were right there, but once we stood up they were barely in shooting range. We didn't see nearly the number of mallards and geese we saw the week before, but we can't complain.

At least there's still over a month left to pheasant hunt!