• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lower Unit Oil

radm

Question

Drained & refilled the lower unit prior to storage. To make getting the top plug screwed in faster I loosened it while filling instead of removing completely. Thought it was out far enough to let out air/oil but as I was filling, the oil came out a "weep hole" in the side of lower unit & from the prop. Then loosened it more & it spewed out from plug (from pressure). I'm confident I got plenty in the lower unit but wondering if I screwed up a seal around the prop area by forcing the oil out there. Never seen it come out o' there before. Any comments to share?

2 answers to this question

Not an expert but that doesn't sound good! If the oil can seap out from the hub seal then I would think water would definately come in. I also don't think it should come out from anywhere but the top hole, that's how I know it's full. Call the boat repair shop and run it by the mechanic.

rad, I think you'll be OK - the seal isn't designed for that amount of pressure, just to keep it from leaking out. I'd watch it for leakage over the winter and change it after the first time out in the Spring to see if you're taking on water though. Would seem to me to be the same type of issue as over lubing bearing buddies - they'll sling grease out of the seal pretty easily but still work.

I'd also hope Surface Tension or Val might chime in, and I think there is a marine mechanic who frequents here as well, but I can't recall his handle. Airger is a auto tech - what you think Jer?