• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How long can I leave powder/load in muzzleloader?

shinde

Looking for some advice from experienced muzzloaders. I have an inline muzzloader and using Triple-7 pellets.

Do I have to shoot it out or remove the breech plug and unload at the end of each day, or can I just remove the primer and store in a safe place to use again the next day (or next several days)?

Thanks for the help.

No M.L. MAnufacturers and powder man, advise that you take the charges out at the end of each day, otherwise they soak in water and will cause missfires.

Just remove primer and it is considered unloaded in MN. I would shoot it out and the end of the season and clean it really good before putting it away for the year.

Thanks - got two different opinions here, anyone else?

I know the manufacturers recommend unloading every day, but many others have said no problem (even in damp weather) to use same powder charge for extended period (when using pellets).

Any other opinons?

Since you are using pellets I think you have a little more time to store it. I can only tell you my experience. I use Triple 7 powder. I shot a deer opening day of Rifle with ML and reloaded. I kept my gun in my truck through the night so it wouldn't sweat from going cold to warm to cold again. The following Wed I shot another deer and cleaned the gun and it was fine.

I use 777 powder and will leave it for only 2 days max, why, just because I do NOT want to have a miss fire when I have that 5 X 5 standing 10 yds away and it goes click. A friend's son bought an inline and was using pellets this year and was totally amazed he loaded at the start of the season and 2 wks later when the season was over and he had not fired it it went to unload it and it wouldn't fire, no matter how matter how many times it put on a new cap.

I would sugguest U make the choice and if it won't fire after a wk there is one person to look at. I know the sabots are not cheap but then that chance in a life time isn't either. Powder has a tendancy to soak up moisture no matter if it is powder or pellets.

The temp change from cold (ouside air) to warm (inside air) will cause the gun to sweat on every surface, including the inside of the bore even under the powder charge. At the end of the hunting day you can be sure the weapon is un-capped ( required for transport anyway) and lock it in your vehicle or store it in your garage at night. If the weather is consistantly cold you can leave the powder in for a couple days worth of hunting, but I'd pull the plug and wipe down the gun on every second night. Inlines make the emptying process simple. If the weather has the faucet running while you hunt, do this nightly. Flush those

pellets that you remove.

I have been going no more than a week. I keep mine loaded and hunt almost every night after work. I go one week and if I don't get a shot I fire it clean it and reload the next day. Fired 3 times so far using triple 7 pellets with sabot slugs. I never bring in inside when it's loaded, I always lock it in the ple barn when I am done for the day. Hope that helps.

I made the mistake of leaving mine loaded for the entire season a couple years ago. I made mistake number 1 of bringing it in and out of the house.

I did not shoot at a deer, but when I went to discharge it after the season was done, I pulled the trigger, the primer snapped, and about a half a second later the gun went off.

Lesson learned. Leave the gun out in the cold.

Now is leaving it loaded for 3 full weeks ideal to start with? Probably not. I am going to shoot it out next weekend and reload prior to hunting.

I have left mine loaded the entire season every year and never had a problem. I never let it get warm/cold/warm/cold though. Just leave it out in the dry cold all the time and it should work. You definitely don't need to unload it every single day.