• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am considering purchasing a new portable fish house. I want something light weight, sturdy, and large enough to fish two people comfortably. Any suggestions based on your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

I BUILT A 4X8 PORTABLE THAT LOOKS KINDA LIKE A LOAF OF BREAD. IT HAS A WOOD FLOOR AND THE ENDS ARE WOOD WITH CANVAS IN THE MIDDLE. NOT THE PLASTIC TARPS THAT ARE CHEAP,ALTHO YOU CAN USE THEM TO KEEP THE COST DOWN. 3/8'S PLYWOOD. CANVAS WE BOUGHT FROM L-S SIGN IN FARIBAULT,TELL THEM THE WALL HEIGTH AND THE FLOOR SIZE AND THEY WILL PRICE IT OUT FOR YOU. OURS WAS 4X8 WITH 6' WALLS AND THE CANVAS WAS 80.00. WE HAD TO INSTALL IT ARE SELF,BUT NO PROBLEM. OR THEY WILL FOR YOU. LIGHT ENOUGH TO PULL OUT ALONE. STRONG ENOUGH TO LEAVE AS A PERMANATE. THIS WAS THE FIRST HOUSE I HAD AND IT STAYED OUT ON THE LAKE, ALL SEASON, FOR MANY YEARS.I STILL USE IT FOR FIRST ICE.THE WALLS ARE HINGED AT THE FLOOR,SO IT CAN FOLD DOWN.WHEN UP RIGHT, THERE ARE THREE 2X2S THAT SUPPORT IT OPEN. REAL SIMPLE AND EASY TO BUILD. THE COST IS CHEAPER THAN WHAT YOU CAN BUY. GOOD LUCK!

I like both the clam and otter sleds that are put these days. If you go to any Gander they have them all out and you can go into them and check them out. I personally like the fold over types better.....easy to get up and move from spot to spot.

You can't go wrong with products from Otter Outdoors. I would recommend The Magnum Lodge or Cabin.

I have a Clam Fish Trap Voyager and it is a great house. You won't be going wrong with a Clam or Otter.

I've had good luck the past 4 winters with the Frabill XLTwin flip over shanty. The new versions have really nice seats but are $450!!!

I got a fish trap guide this summer brand new for a little over $300. Its light enough for me to put in the truck by myself and has two really comfy seats. Its got plenty of room for two, but not for three. The fabric is nice, it has built in mesh pockets and vent holes.

Otter has the toughest sled by far! Otter uses square tubing and canvas for the tent and supports. The canvas is flame retardant. The seats are padded and swivel. The house is a little more money than the clam but will take a bit more abuse to the sled and is more likely to take a heater tipped into the tent. I personally own the Magnum Lodge and love it. Otter also has The Wilderness Walleye series available. The Wilderness houses are a more economical version of the regular Otter.

The Clam Yukon or the Voyager are very good houses also. The Clam product is more verstile as far as fishing with friends with the same house. You can get the trap link kit and connect the two houses together. This year clam put a bigger flap over the zippers so that they are not as drafty. They also set up the 5600 cabin style so that it can be linked to the Yukon and the 6800 cabin style so it can be linked the to the Voyager. The seats are a bit more comfortable than the Otter and slide side to side and forward and back. The seats also swivel. The tent is impossible to rip even if there is already a hole. Stop in at Reel Fishing and Tackle in Madison Lake and check out all three models. The are set up on display. If you intend to tow the house behind a ATV you will need a steel hitch and you should consider putting on the plastic runners to prevent wearing holes in the sled.

I bought a F.T. voyager four years ago and added hyfax runners,put in the new swivel seats which now come with it.I also built a carpeted floor which folds in half for transporting and is nice as you dont get water all over and slip and slide and the house warms much better.The only problem I have had is I found two little holes about the size of a quarter in the canvas two years later and couldnt figure out how they got there.I called Clam and they sent me a brand new one at no charge.The poles I have had no bending or binding as every year I steel wool and wipe silicone on them,still work like new.The Otter is also a very nice house,but I personally would not leave Clam as they have really treated me well and the house has been great.Also.I have had no problems with the tub.I dont remember the exact weight of this house with all the gear,but I do load it in my truck by myself so its not to bad.

I bought a Yukon last year and really like it. I am able to fit it in the back of my Explorer (back seat folded down) and get it in and out by myself. It is a very comfortable and roomy two man house. I'm looking forward to a friend of mine buying the same house this year and connecting them.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information that was provided. I really appreciate it.