• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

URL crappies

us8420

I need some advice:

A few buddies and I are planning a trip early January. After talking with some people, I am getting mixed messages about crappies on URL. Several people state that crappies have slowed down considerably over the last couple years. One group came to URL last year and rented a sleeper for a week. Between the six of them they caught 35 crappies for the week. Is this the norm or just a case of bad luck?

What would you estimate the average catch would be for a hard day of fishing?

We are not interested in making the trip a meat hunt; we mostly do catch and release. But we would prefer catching fish and staying busy on the ice if we make the 8 hour trip.

Any insight in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

last year 2 guys 2 days 40 slabs 15 walleye 2 northerns kept 10 slabs plenty to eat. not a bad weekend.

The crappie fishing isn't what it used to that is for sure. It seems anyday you head out there you could limit out, or you could get skunked. I would say an average is about 3-4 crappies a day per person. That is the main reason I dont head out there that often, because if you make a long trip of it and you miss it really stinks. Red is usually a backup plan, or hit it for one evening while fishing the other lakes around there.

its always hit and miss everytime out there for me, but i enjoy it every time out there though. I usually do better in Feb-March but have got some fish in Jan. Bring portables if you are not catching anything in the sleeper then you can move around and find some fish. I would say take the trip. Good Luck

My best advice for Red lake is to stay mobile. Sleepers are good but prefer having my portable and I always move if I'm not laying them on the ice or seeing any on my vex.

Well said DryFly. The fish are there, you just have to find them. If nothing is biting where you are, move and drill a ton of holes. Good luck.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Good advice Dry Fly!

I usually do pretty well up there. The key is to stay mobile. Use the sleeper as a base camp.

Unless I get lucky I usually drill a couple hundred holes a day to find where the crappies are at. Sometimes it takes less. Sometimes it takes more. When you find them it sure is fun though! In the case of your buddies last year. Souonds like they were in the right area. But just not quite in the right spot. I've seen it where as few as 20 ft make the difference between a limit or just a couple.

I know I'll be up there as many weekends as I can free up(usually 3-4).

Good Luck!

I totally agree, it is amazing how much of a difference 20 or 30 feet can make. Last year me and my buddy got out and drilled probably 30 holes in a 30 yard by 30 yard area, and caught our limits out of two holes that were right next to each outher, and caught nothing out of all the rest of the holes. If you drill enough holes, you will catch fish.

Another thing, just because there is a big crowd of people doesnt mean there is fieh there. I am always amazed how people crowd up when there is no structure to fish, I try to stay as far from anyone else as I possibly can. On another trip last year we fished out of hillmans just past where the pressure ridge was. We were fishing 8-9 ft and we were probably a mile in from where everyone else was, and we caught tons of em.

Ditto Borch, staying mobile and drilling many holes is the key to a good day fishing on red. We've always had great fishing there, and last year was no exception. One buddy on mine was no more than fifteen feet away from me when I was pulling them in as fast as I could get my line down. He had fish on the graph, but was only pulling in one to my three. gotta love 'em. hope to see you out there soon! Im getting anxious.

Another good point Tyler. Whenever we go up we try to stay as far away from everyone as we can. It seems that in the past when we fished by a group of houses the bite was poor.

Quote:

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO AND IF IT IS GOOD CALL ALL OF YOUR BUDDIES AND HAVE THEM COME JOIN YOU.

that's funny right there.

blacksheep- what is going down!!!! I hear Norm is in the states now!!! laugh.gif We should plan a Red get together with the old crew ( the ones that fish atleast..

I have to agree with all that is said so far be mobile never get comfy in a spot and hope they come through!!! Caught them at all times of day and nite in the crowds and away from the crowds... You are not always going to be hitting the mother load but I have driven up for the day and caught 2-4 crappies and been satisfied, and that is at least a 3 hr drive one way!!!! grin.gif Good Luck and Good Times.......OZ

What time of year is the most consistant fishing? I will probably only get there once in my life so I want to make it worth my time.

Any time of the year can be good, but I prefer march and early april. Fish are getting active again with rising water temps, and you are less likely to hit the super cold weather. Theres something nice about hitting the ice in a T shirt.

Anytime you can make it up there go!! I have limited out in every month and I think I have sub-par outings in almost every month on Red... It all depends on how aggressive you are to locating the crappies once you find them it can be non-stop action of thick slabs!! laugh.gif