• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ice Closing In

croixeyes

Drove down to bayport today.The Croix in this area is almost all covered with ice.Only hope its thick enough to withstand the warm and rain predicted.Anyone noticed conditions south of the bridge in Hudson??

We were out yesterday and it was open from kinni south to prescott. kinni was as far north as we went but it looked open. I am not ready for ice yet...........

Riverdancer....

How did you do yesterday and why arent you out today?Did you launch at prescott and did you notice if there was ice in the Washington county park bay.

We has to much to do at home..ugh...We launched at Prescott and had no problems, the bay at the park was open. It was really slow, not much action. The boat is not away yet, I know there are still some nice days. How did you do???

Riverdancer... Im all dun for this season frown.giffrown.gif.The boat is sittin idle in the back yard all wrapped up.As I write this the sun is bright and Im bummin.Thats why I need ice.Next time I get out ill be walkin on the water instead of floating.

Rangr, Yes that was me, how did you do???? i just can't bring myself to put it away yet though I do enjoy the ice. Maybe one more time.....

Riverdancer, My son and I ended up with 14 sauger. I have to try at least 1 more time and hopefully get the snow out of the boat from fishing Fri morning.

Rangr- I am hoping to still get out a couple times but we"ll see.............When do you think you'll be out Friday?

I have to work Fri. Will have to see what the weather and temp is like this weekend. If it keeps up like this might have to go ice fishing. I'm in the process of getting a trip set for SD ice fishing for perch the week after X-mas. Hopefully there will be good ice by then.

I'll be on the river this weekend catsin those nice crappie. 25 of thoses babies makes a mighty nice mess of fish. maybe the sand pike will be hitting this year too! 2 years ago a barge came through 2 inches of ice or so and almost stranded me on the wisc. side, be careful if you go out.

trz you think there'll be enough ice ?man i dont know. if so i'll beat ya there. one other thing i thought crappies were 15

crappie limit is 25, i have only hit that mark 4 times in 9 years on the river ice, and probably 500 trips. 2 were first ice when i was the only guy on the river. pike limit is also 5 that makes for alot of fillets, if you can find them.

I think you guys are a week early.

If you didn't put your boat away yet you can still hit Prescott for sure. As long as the wind stays down it is ok fishing from the boat still. I don't think we have a warm day coming up though. Anyone been out on the open water this week?

trolling days are long past, it is time to put your life jacket on and find the hand picks and get the courage up to hit the ice and get them nice slabs. i can almost smell them cookin. if the river is not safe andersons bay should be, i caught a real nice gar there last winter on about and inch of ice, had to fish on my belly.

You have fun man! I will put the heater in the rig and jig from the bow of the Crestliner. I think a few of the smaller metro lakes will be ok. Red Lake has 4 inches or more already. One more week in the boat and then it will be time. If I risk my life for a fish I hope it is over 30 inches and has a white strip on the tail.

Wouldn't risk it for thirty but a thirty two or better. You might find me floating down in New Orleans! TrollerX, make your way up to Forest Lake and we will get you out(hopefully on some nicer eyes) and get to finally meet! I think the ice should be safe by Sunday on Forest. Would love to hook up and chat eyes/river techniques and have a brew(coffee is in the brewed category!~)but so is BUD! ICE, dead ahead! By the way, if you have the itch to get out around Red wing this Spring, Let me know. Ice time is getting less& leass so Open water is awsome anytime of the year!

Tunrevir~

I'm in. I had a company Christmas Party tonight and a neighborhood deal tomorrow night. By Sunday, I will be out of my mind ready to go fishing. I was actually thinking of going to Red Wing Sunday if the wind is calm. If you think the ice is ready on Forest I would be up for it. I drove by White Bear yesterday and it was still mostly open water though. What time are you thinking of going? How about a trip to Red Wing?

Saw two guys on the wisconsin side across from bayport today.walked out about 70 feet from shore ice seemed fine but there is a crack running from anderson point south.Should be fine to fish next weekend.The way the temps are Id be out monday if I didnt have to work.The crack I spoke of looks to be a stress crack nothing major.Whos going out next weekend????

i'll be there, hopefully enough ice for a wheeler. did u check the ice at all for thickness ? did those guys walk across , thats a long walk i've done it before. maybe i'll park at the wisc. side launch and wheeler up the shoreline. gotta park on the ice though those guys will ticket you over there. bout time to pound some of those slabs, oh yea i forgot no slabs in that river wink.gif

I will be out for sure - probably both days. I think there will be 6 inches by the weekend. More cold days coming. It was a really good open water season for the Crappies. I think this winter will be better than last. I don't know about you guys but I am looking for some hard water Eye's first though!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Gman.... No I didnt check for thickness.The guys i saw must have walked from the Wisconsin side.No visible footprints going across.As Troller mentioned there should be ample ice for a wheeler next weekend.The ice I was on didnt buckle or crack at all as I stepped,and the snow that was on top was all powder.That snow shouldnt stop the ice from building at all.

Im looking to get out Saturday for sure. Probably go after walleye and crappie,the sauger can turn on pretty good out there too.Hopfully the weather wont be to nice,ive had better days when its nasty.

i usually don't spend much time on the river anymore during hard water anyway, been ice fishint it for at least 25 years and its gotten worse every year. the last 5 have been real bad, i mean running all over that river for 8 hours for 2-3 slabs . there nice when ya get'em though. i ran down there 1 day last winter for a quick afternoon and it was super sunny and sweatshirt weather, went south of all the shacks about 50 yards and just pounded em for 3 hours straight.huge slabs !! kept 10 for a meal ! went back the next afternoon and did the same thing, i couldn't believe it, best crappie action i've had down there in 15 years. never did go back though to many other hot lakes. got that spot locked in the h2o though wink.gif.maybe i'll try it a little more this year, i'm only 5 min. away. but it sure can be dead down there most of the time. never really tried for the walters i spose out from the beach on the rock pile early is good. later

TrollerX, didn't get out on Sunday but am planning on heading out on Forest, Weds(tomorrow night for a bit.) I am going to fish from early afternoon 3-7p.m. The bite has been good from sundown for an hour or two after then pretty spotty. I also plan to get back out this weekend, probably Sat or sunday 3-8p.m.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif