• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Four wheeler question, whats good, whats bad?

John Mickish

Question

The wife is starting to think that a four wheeler would be fun, and I think she wants to get one. The problem is she will want to start out used, so my question to you guys that have used four wheelers for many, many years is this.

Between the years of 1995 to 2002 what 4X4 models where good and what was junk?

10 answers to this question

I forgot to ask this earlier. How big of a motor does a guy need to pull a fish house and maybe pull some logs out of the woods?

I'll chime in as an old timer. There's probably not many guys that have owned or ridden much longer than me (bought my first 3 wheeler in early 1975 and had many models since then) but you'll get a different response from just about everyone. Before making any suggestions...does your wife know how to shift, or is she willing to learn? Or, is an auto your main option. My wife rides ATVs, and has ridden almost as long as I and has no problem with the shifting but its not for everyone.

The 300 Honda that was suggested was/is a pretty much bulletproof machine with a proven motor that lasts and lasts (I've had 2 of them) but is a manual shift. Problem is I don't see many around that havent had the wheels ridden off them and they quit making them in 1999. They are light and easy to handle and were the best selling ATV of all time.

I hesitate to name a specific model or brand at this point but quality of all of them has risen in recent years so I'd get as new of a unit as you are prepared to afford.

The main thing you want to consider is what type of use it will have. Another thing to consider (what many forget to do) is what you MIGHT want to do in the future. Many people, after getting a wheeler realize how versatile they are and find more ways to use them and invariably end up moving up to another model.

For heavy or frequent pulling I'd suggest at least a 400cc or more. If its an auto, you'll probably want to make sure it has a low range. There are a lot to choose from....Good luck!

if your main use is ice fishing, tires may be the biggest thing that counts. most ATV's are good, and last a long time, but traction is important in any snow covered lake. I bought a new yamaha grizz, and the stock tires were worthless in snow. I put on some aggresive snow/mud tires, now this thing rocks on the lake.

I think Mcgyver covered it well... everyone has their own preference when it comes to make and model.. theres lots out there. I own a Kodiak 450 and it does everything stated and more.

If a person plans on using the wheeler on the ice or sloppy terrain.. I highly recommend 4wd, differential lock if possible. In the end the machine will cost more, but you wont be left stuck in a rut most of the time, or in a snow bank with slush under it.

No matter what you buy, the tires post was a very important issue. You can have all the power in the world and it will do no good if you have no traction. Aggresive mud tires are priceless in the mud and snow. Nothing will give you decent traction on glare ice short of tire studs which I highly recommend if you pull a house around and want to get anywhere when there is no snow pack... It is frustrating sitting there with a 200 lb sled and 4 wheel drive and your tires sit there and spin getting you next to nowhere.. let alone braking is an adventure at any speed without studs, especially pulling weight. On the other side of the page... Deep Snow(loose packed) is a problem for all 4 wheelers. A set of tire chains is worth their weight in gold when the snow gets excessive.

If the Mrs want's an automatic trans, and easy steering, do not buy a Yamaha Big Bear.

Having said that, it's not junk by any means. It's a work horse for me. However the all time 4 wheel drive makes steering while going slower difficult. You have to work it, kinda. The front differential is minimal slip and I do mean minimal. The rear end is solid shaft. Built for power not luxury. There's no manual clutch, but you shift it like a motorcycle with your foot. Personally, I love this wheeler but there are downsides to it as I mentioned.

It's a 400 and super duper light. Not a lightning bolt fast machine but I can wrap a log chain around my house and pull it down the road. It's pulled my fish house around the lake many times.

I love the fact that with this machine, when one wheel spins, they all spin. Meaning when I'm lugging something on the ice I actually go without studs or chains. I've also pull started my big, heavy, tank of an 83 diesel chev pickup in the winter with this wheeler. That's how much pulling power this little puppy has.

I have to also recommend a Honda and as soon as I can afford one I will have one. My friend has an '05 Rubicon and loves it. It was his enchange in a deal for his wife getting pregnant blush.gif

Anyway, Honda has several models with electronic shifting or auto trannies. You can get a 350 and up for engines. IMO I would get the Rancher 350 ES (Elec. Shift).

I sure hope Honda designs a UTV soon.

Any 350-500cc 4x4 machine would work good for what you want to do. Like most of the other people have said, traction is the biggest thing when it comes to atvs used for ice fishing. Something like a rancher 350 es or a yamaha kodiak 450 would work fine. I know a lot of people dog polaris but the reliability in the 2001+ machines is a lot better than what is said. I own an '05 sportsman 700 and haven't had any problems with it. I've also owned an '02 sportsman 500 and never had problems with it. Even with the 500 I pulled a small camper out onto the ice. If you're willing to get a polaris you will get more features than most machines. True 4wd, an auto tranny, and nice suspension to name a few things.

about 3 years ago I bought a 2000 Yamaha Kodiak used. It has been a good machine and buying it used saved me a good amount of money. That year Kodiak has auto tranny w/low range(I would never buy an auto tranny without low range)and most all the features you find on the bigger ones except independant rear suspention.

Be very carefull though about buying a used ATV. A lot of them are beat to crap. I bought mine because I knew the previous owner, a guy who is about 75 years old.

Look on Ebay for the manf/model of interest. See how many used parts are there. If a model has been around forever there's a reason. You can find a ton of extras and used parts for the Polaris Sportsman 500 (suggest the H.O.) for an automatic with independent suspension (the 400 is the same with a smaller powerplant but for pushing a 60" blade or hauling go 500). For a manual the Polaris Xpedition 425 was made a few years with a 5 speed and is great for grunt work (and shares most Sportsman parts as well), has a solid axle but rides extremely well. Can't beat Polaris for true 4-wheel drive in dicy situations. If comfort is a big factor go independent rear suspension. I own and enjoy both. I ride and enjoy my buddy's Honda Rincon (new models have disk brakes) as well but I can go where he can't when the chips are down (true 4WD for boulder climbs for example).