• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are You Happy With Your Big Buddy Heater for Icefishing?

hawgTime

Question

Just wondering if the Big Buddy Heater is much of an improvement over the Buddy and whether it has some of the same issues as the Buddy such as low heat output and blowing out when you sneeze? thanks

hT

11 answers to this question

I can't wait to enjoy all the bennifits of my Bg Buddy this winter. I used it all last year with no problems and I used a buddy heater for two years prior to that. They are essentially the same thing except the Big Buddy has A high output of 18,000 BTU's, Double the buddy heater!.

Blowing out and lack of heat have never been an issue for me I have used them in a clam an an otter lodge with no problems.

I love the Big Buddy. I would suggest getting the 12' hose adapter so you can use a bigger propane tank (maybe a 5lb). The only problem I ever had was the fact that the 1lb cannisters really suck when it's below zero. You never seem to get any gas pressure because of the small amount of fuel in the cannister. Since I switched to the hose adapter with a bigger supply tank, Big Buddy is outstanding.

I used a big buddy last year and had no heat issues. It didn't blow out, and it put out plenty of heat. The issues I do have with the unit is it's size and how fragile it is. I realize that a big heat means bigger size but for my shacks It's a little too big. If you have a bigger shack then don't worry about it. Also it is fragile. The plastic frame has these small tabs for screws that keep it held together on the bottom. I've managed to break all of them in one winters use (and I'm generally very very carful with all my equipement) The thing hasn't fallen apart on me yet because the handle on the top keeps it together, but the bottom plastic will kind of bow out when you pick it up. I plan to try the little buddy this year for size reasons and it looks a little tougher.

I do like the quiet, clean heat it puts out compared to the mr. heater/cooker.

I'm pretty sure all those issues have been addressed with the recall. Like Gus's mine got pretty beat up but with my model in the recall the whole unit got replaced. We tested it when it first came back and the recall seemed to address all the issues I had. I actually liked the way it worked before the recall except with the small tanks it had trouble keeping lit when you turned it down. This issue was fixed.

I am happy with the way my Big Buddy performs, as long as you use a large tank with the hose adapter. When I was using the small (1 gallon) tanks it did not seem to work as well. Somebody mentioned a recall on the Big Buddy. I was not aware of such.

How can I get mine checked out?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

I am happy with the way my Big Buddy performs, as long as you use a large tank with the hose adapter. When I was using the small (1 gallon) tanks it did not seem to work as well. Somebody mentioned a recall on the Big Buddy. I was not aware of such.

How can I get mine checked out?

Here's a link to the recall info. Big Buddy Recall

What's up hawgTime?

How have you been? Did you ever get the message I left for you last week? Hey,it's almost time to head out! I am thinking either 15th, 16th, or 17th in the evening. I know you like to fish at the crack o' dawn so we'll have to talk and figure this one out. So, what are you heating your clam with now?

YHD

Styx, I tried it last year on my B.B. and for me I noticed a difference, it worked way better with it off."" I think the general consensus was when your done using it turn it off at the tank and let the heater burn off the pressure and hopefully you won't have any contamination problems, supposedly this came from the hose being pressurized for extended periods of time. if you still want one I'll give ya' mine. grin.gif

They realy have a filter for this? Where does it go?

I usually turn it off at the tank anyway, really it gets contaminated from the pressure of the hose. confused.gif

I love mine. I had the little buddy, but it wouldn't keep up in my Lodge when it was cold out. When I got my BB, I could even dry out my gloves when I hung them from the ceiling. I also use it in the garage when I'm cleaning fish after the trip. It's nice having your hands warm while you're filleting.