• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chosing the correct downrigging rod length

Fish On! Guide Service

Question

I'd like to purchase a downrigging rod for a Christmas gift for my mother. She rigs on Mille Lacs and LOTW and currently utilizes 7ft rods out of a 17ft deep V Starcraft. She trolls with stickbaits, cranks, etc. and uses (I believe) Canon Easi Troll downriggers. I recently spoke with my rod manufacturer regarding proper rod length for her application and he stated that I should go with a 6ft rod vs 7ft. I'm a novice to downrigging, but 6ft sounds awful short. I trust his opinion, however, I've had mixed comments from others and would like yours as well. So here's my question,

What length of rod do you recommend and why? Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance, your help is always appreciated.

Stephen

6 answers to this question

I wouldn't fish with anything shorter than a 7' for downriggers. I highly reccommend the new Shimano Talora. They make a 1 piece 7' for downrigging that would be great for walleye fishing, get a Medium Light action. They are fantastic rods with great flexibility yet a good backbone. They are a little spendy($69), but over the counter lifetime warranty! You step on it by accident, no problem. They also come in longer 2 piece length, but I only reccommend those for strictly salmon and trout fishing. I know guys that use the 7' rods for salmon and trout too if you need to use them there.

Im with Joel go with a 7' at least. I run mostly 8.5' rods but that may be too much the way she uses them.

Would a 2-piece rod be feasible? Do any of you use 2 piece rods and like/dislike them? I don't think she has 7ft rod lockers.

Listen to Butcher!! Yes I am talking about "End of the Line", Joel.. The guy has the experience regarding downrigging, he knows what he is talking about. He knows far more about rigging than I do and I watched him grow up into a very respectable guy...

However, his real nickname is Butcher!!! grin.gif

Nodak7mm

Yes 2 piece rods are fine. Most guys I fish with use 2 piece downrigger rods for that exact reason.

All I use are the 8' rods for salmon and trout fishing. Talora Medium lights, and I prefer them over the 7' for more flexibility. They will work just great on walleyes too, but the 7' is geared more towards the walleyes.

Hey Rod, didnt know you were on the board. We'll be seeing you soon hopefully and welcome back to the area. Just got home from ND and had fun with some pigeons with my new .17 Rem. It's truly a great new gun!