• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scope or Red dot

getdowndog

Anyone know the pros and cons of using standard scope vs a red dot scope on a slug gun.

This would be for still hunting, 20 to 75 yrd shots most likely

Well i will take a shot at this one.

I have used both but i do usually use open sights. The red dot is nice bc you can get large open red dots for a good field of view, which makes it a little faster to pick up targets. The scope on the other hand usually have a higher power for those little longer shot. I am not going to lie to you i am not the best person to awnser this question bc i use open sights on my shot gun. So good luck, i hope i helped a little

Andrew

I have a red dot on my slug barrel. I was talking with my friend of mine and he said there is so much recoil on the 12 ga. slugs that it will brake the red dot. after its broken the dot will float yes I said float. Meaning going around and in circles. Thats what he said. I am not sure if that happens or not. But I would go for the red dot. because you have a bigger field of view to. I love my red dot on my slug gun. I am going to put 1 on my SKS for coyote this winter.

I have red dots on a handgun and a slug gun. Never had an issue with recoil. The red dot is very quick to get on target - quicker than a scope or open sights - since you do not have the parallex effect you get with magnified scopes and you don't have to line up front and rear sights. As long as you can see the dot, that's where the bullet will go. The problem with red dots is at longer ranges - the dot is not as fine an aiming system as a nice set of cross hairs. At 100 yards the red dot will cover the bulls-eye on a target, makes it difficult (or impossible) to get good groups. You said you're shooting 20-75 yards and a red dot is fine for that, but not much past it. Good luck.

I had a scope at one point, and then I switched to a red dot type sight. I've had the red dot now for years and have done very well with it. Probably a little better for picking up an animal on a drive that's running but these are tough shots anyways.

My plan is now to switch back to a scope next year. It's just a little nicer on the longer shots, and if your in a stand. We're tending to do a lot more stand hunting now and fewer drives so it just makes more sense for me. It's nice to be able to pull up and really see where your putting the crosshairs on a deer.

One thing I will say that I think most guys don't do with shotguns is to change out the stock on the gun. Switch it out to a Monte Carlo type rifle stock. This will help with accuracy. Most guys end up using the old stock and it's hard to get a set cheek to stock point when your scope is to high. You end up having to lean your head up off of the stock to look through your scope. I would recommend you make this switch because it's usually pretty inexpensive before you sight in with whatever you do decide to get.

Does Red Dot make a sight now that has like 2 power magnification. That would be really nice. The red dot does come in really hand during the low light situations.

Ryan

My hunting party is pretty equally divide between iron sights, red dots and scopes. I've used all three.

If you need get on a target fast "like on a drive or at moving targets" a red dot or iron sights is the way to go. I personally like the red dot for those situation.

But if you might take longer shots "100+yrd", I'd prefer a scope. If you do go with a scope, I'd recommend a varible power like 1x-4x. You can turn it down to 1x on a drive and crank her up to 4x on the longer shots.

Regardless of what you decide, spend a little extra cash for a better product. We all know slugs kick like a mule and some of your lower cost red dots or scopes just don't hold up. Now you don't need to pay an arm&leg but the $60-$150 should have to set for years to come.

Hope this helps

Anyone ever use those Bushnell Holograph scopes that have the red hologram inside of them? I have seen them at Cabelas and have always wondered how they would be on a slug gun.

I have used the Bushnell Trophy red dot scope for 5 years now for deer hunting on my 12 gauge. I love the thing. Gun to the shoulder and just put that red dot on your target. I leave both eyes open and the scope seems to fade away then and your left with this red dot left floating in space. I actually use one for duck hunting too. With a slug gun 100 yard shots are rare, so the magnification is not an issue. I have been told they will be made legal for turkeys sometime this winter.

Someone else mentioned dots that get knocked loose. I know a few people who have bought the cheapo BSA scopes and this happened to them but I have never heard of it happening with another manufacturer. Stick with the Bushnell, Millet, Red Dot and you will be happy. And i recommend buying one with the most power settings you can get. Mine has 11 and when it is dim (dawn and dusk) "1" power is even a little too bright.