• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

returning to grouse hunting

rabbit lake dude

When do you return to grouse hunting. Do you wait for muzzleloading to end. Or do you go back after rifle season is over. I would like to go this weekend. Just not sure if it's safe to be out their while muzzleloading is going on?

rabbit,

I actually went last weekend. Not nearly as many hunters in the woods on the last weekend (zone 1A) and I went to an area that I know well and know all the people that hunt the area and I stayed clear of them. Plenty of blaze orange on me and the dogs and also bells on the dogs. If a person couldn't hear us coming through the woods then I'd have to check their pulse! I also did not hunt during prime times early and late in the day. It was convenient because we had one buck tag left and my dad hadn't bagged a deer yet, so I worked some of the thick stuff in hopes of pushing a buck his way. The only other hunter I saw was my dad.

TRITC

According to the DNR as of 1998 there was around 10,000 people hunting the muzzloader season in Minnsota. Not sure what the number is in 2005, but I am sure it is no where near the 500,000 that hunt the regular firearms season. I have grouse hunted after the deer season and have yet to see a muzzleloader hunter.