• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer decoys

Walleyeguy31

confused.gif Has anyone used these with success, and if so what type/brand was used buck or doe (renzo, carrylite, delta etc)? And what should be avoided. Stories of kills/experiences would be much appreciated. Set up of decoy and distance from ground (blind) or stand, as well as scent and placement of scent would be much appreciated. What brand scent was used, what time of day, and the whole nine yards is exceptionally appreciated. confused.gif

I have used a delta full body and a renzo silly, with no luck while hunting, but it did not seem to spook any deer either. My delta full body DOE was bread one night this year; after shooting time though. I put hot scrape on the back end and near it on the ground and the next morning the stakes that hold it up were lose in the ground and there was mud on her front shoulders. Like I said though I haven't had deer come running into or away from it. If nothing else it keeps the attention off me and any movement I might make.

My nephew tried it one night, and a six pointer was seen running down a corn row away from him. He gave him a grunt, and the buck turned around and saw the decoy and came withing ten yards of it. It was a carrylite that I bought about a month ago and have not used. Just wondering if it was a fluke.

I borrowed two decoys to a friend from work. He wanted to try them on private land during rifle season. One was a carry light doe the other a cardboard (renzo)buck I think?

I warned him to spray a little orange paint on each.

Needless to say he did not!!

His son set them up on a clearing that he and a 75 year old in their party always hunt. Well old Jack new that Craig had two decoys out.

Craig set them up in the dark about 75yds away from him in the middle of the clearing. Both hunters were on the same side of the cut, about 150 yds apart.

as the sun came up old Jack looks over and there stand two deer! He forgot Craig had both out.

He lines up on the doe (he remembered the buck decoy was out) and fires one off. The deer just stood there! He punches out another and it is still there.

After about 20 minutes he gets down and walks over. Craig says "What were you shooting at?" Jack "the decoy!"

After that fiasco, craig had a doe come throug with a buck chasing her. The buck saw the decoy and turned and ran right out to them. craig shot the nice buck.

So yes they do work on deer and hunters.

I did gt both my decoys back, onewith two nice holes through it.

Jack did shoot good, hitting the lungs on both shots!

I bought a buck target/decoy about a month ago and i used it twice. First time no deer seen, second time i had a 6 point running 200 yards away from me towards a corn field. I then rattled and grunted. He stopped dead in his tracks and b-lined strait for the buck decoy. He stopped no more than 10 yards from it but i passed on him. I have never seen a buck so aggresive before. It was awesome he seemed oblivious to his souroundings.

Used the renzo feeding doe decoy during the end of october, and shot a curious doe. Watched the doe stomp, and bob her head up and down for 15 minutes before offering me a broadside shot at 6 yds. Had a golden estrous scent wick at the tail of the decoy.

I've probably asked this question before, so I apologize if I upset anyone but is there a decoy out there that you can use for archery target practice as well??? I plan on buying one for practice shooting and figured if I could get one with both capabilities I would do that....because using a decoy for hunting sounds interesting. Thanks.

I've used my 3D target before, they work okay, they're not quite as realistic looking, but would work in most situations, although not as well if they have to get really close. Mostly they're just a lot heavier & clumsier to drag around than an actual decoy which are usually hollow.

The target will tend to get pretty beatup looking from all of the arrow holes/marks & all the weather they take sitting out in your yard.

Thanks bigbucks. I'm sure there's someone at work here who has a decoy I could try out for the field I rifle hunt. I will leave the target practice deer for practice.

I'd be leary of using one anytime there's any type of firearm season open, including muzzleloader.

I assume you're talking about safety issues. Yes...that is a good idea. I hunt private land by myself but I still will remember to be cautious if/when I put one out. Thanks for the advice.