• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

jigs & rigs suggestions

Debert

Going up to Red for the first time. Through Bearpaw first week of January. Any tips for what to tie on the end of the line?

I've done really well on 1/16oz Go Devil jigging spoons packed with maggots or a minnow head. Red, pink, and blue glows are all good choices.

Another option would be the Size 8 Ratsos in pink glow tipped with a maggot.

Those have been my two best producers up on Red...

Thanks Matt....there'll be a trip to Fleet Farm or Gander Mtn coming up soon...I'll probably get enough suggestions on here to fill another tackle box!! Thanks again.

Yeah, and then there are those times where it doesn't matter what you drop down, the crappies will just devour it anyways... I usually try and plan my trips to Red for those days wink.gif

You'll probably get quite a few lure choice options, all of which probably work, so don't take what works for me as something that will necessarily work for you. And like you said, you'll probably have a new tackle box labeled "Red Lake" after you make that trip to Fleet Farm anyways grin.gif

Quote:

And like you said, you'll probably have a new tackle box labeled "Red Lake" after you make that trip to Fleet Farm anyways
grin.gif

Crap... I went to Gander Mt. and walked away with a new little tackle box with the "Red Lake Tested" label on the side of it. Custom Jigs & Spins made a little kit of popular size 4 Demon jigs last winter that were dynamite for URL.

Along with the CJ&S Demons, my URL favorites include Phelps Tackle Tick Jigs, Snake Jigs, and Glow Tube Hooks. The Glow Tube Hooks are probably my favorite used in conjunction with a crappie minnow.

Honestly, anything that glows has an advantage with glow red & glow blue being superior at different times.

Scenic Tackle Go-Devils in Glow Red are another one of my favorite lures with 3-4 Eurolarvae attached to the treble hook.

There are really so many options out there and never discount the old standby- plain hook & minnow. Keeping it simple sometimes works the best.

Tried just about everything on Red Lake and my choice would be:

1. Phelps Jigs ones with the red dot eye

2. Demon Jigs

Always have done better jigging than dead sticking. My thuoghts is a Vex/Marcum are a must and able to move around till you locate them. Being with the crowd on Red lake dosen't mean there catching any. Many times I have been a long ways off from the crowd and limited in 30 min.

Most like to be fishing right at dark but many times I've filled out in the mornings/afternoon. All I can say is move until you find them and it's a rush when you do. Red Lake Crappies are fun to catch. I can't wait till next year to ad some eye's to the bucket also. Good Luck smile.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

For me it's the glow demons in #6 and #4. Sometimes the bigger one was hot. Other times the smaller one did the job. Did very well on blue, red and white.

The the 1/16 oz go devils in glow colors tipped with a minnow head or some waxies.

I also did very well on the 1/32 oz(medium sized one, I forget the actual size) Ratso in chartruese and glow(no bait added).

#6 the smaller ones I found anyway haven't hooked as well. You will find they barely grab it most times. I use Pro-Line Ice 8# test 1 lp dia. gives you great feel and no stretch when jigging. There also times they just nail it but found the Vex/Marcum takes a lot of the guessing out of it. Usually find them near the bottom and watch them just look at it. Slowly move the jig up usually triggers them enough to mouth it. That's why I like the Pro-Line Ice for this. Like the Demon but have had far better success with the Phleps Jig. When there biting you won't have time to glow them or use two poles. I have my gear all ready heading to LOW and back to Red next month always have a great time on both. smile.gif

Thanks for the advice. We are heading up to LOW also...early January. Stopping at Red on the way up on Thurs and fishing out of Riverbend on Fri & Sat. Can't wait!

I guess....sounds like we're not talking about the same thing...You're up early! I suppose I should get some work done! Just talked to Bone....he say's he's ready to go and is going to beat you out onto the ice this year...I rather doubt that will happen.

You can use just about anything when they're biting but, whey they are finicky, you have to downsize. A couple trips last year, when I was marking lots of fish but was unable to get them to bite, I tied on a number 12 teardrop or genz bug in either red or blue glow and put on one waxie. Depending on the mood, one color outproduced the other, but they caught fish when nothing else would. My point being, always be prepared to downsize a lot.