• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

so i know the nilsmaster is the cats meow. i however, cannot afford the $500 + that is the asking price. what is the best auger on the market that is less than $350. im looking for reliability and as light as possible. Any suggestions?

Grab Northlander and have him take you shopping. He knows more nooks there to find bargains than anyone and with the ice not set well yet he should be freed up some.

The Strikemasters, in the 2000 series with the 2 hp motors, are very light and have plenty of power to drive an 8-inch auger. Unless you want a 10-inch hole, and then you'd need a 3 hp to do it right, which puts you in a whole other category, and significantly heavier.

In fact, I'm thinking of selling my XL3000 3 hp 10-inch Strikemaster in favor of one of those really light 2 hp. If an 8-inch hole is big enough for a 25 lb pike or a 30lb laker, why get a bigger one?

In the $350 range you can do a lot.

Jiffy Legend lightning 8" $340

Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express $370 or the Mag 2000 $290

Eskimo Shark Z43 $280 or the Z51 $315 or Baracuda is around $305

Look and call around and you can usually work something out. Make sure you ask about any Iceshow discounts they may be running. I know Russ at Marine General always has Ice show specials on his goodies.

Otherwise hit the Iceshow and deal down there. I would think you can save more $ just by going to Russ rather than driving down to St.Paul. Thats unless you go anyways.

I'm with Northlander on this one. When the price tag gets over $100, I never just plop down the cash. I lean in, start a conversation, and ask the person what their lowest price is on the item. Sometimes they don't budge, but other times they do, and if they even come down $20 on a $300 item, that's still $20.

I got the eskimo z51 9 inch last year for about $290, works great. Starts easy, cuts great, probably not gonna win any speed contests, but wound up cutting holes for other people that couldn't their machines started last year.

well thanks for the info so far. i guess i want to rephrase the question. i know of my options out there and i know i want an 8" hole and a 2hp motor. i just dont know which is the best buy.

SO... If you all had up to $300-$350 to spend only on a gas powered auger, and you really need one this year(undergrad research project will require a lot of hole drilling to "gather data") which one would you buy? im leaning toward the eskimo's just because they should suffice for a few solid years until im ready to upgrade to the cats meow. thanks for your input.

If you want a workhorse that will last forever and cut threw anything even when a bit dull go Jiffy.

If you are the type that watches what he cuts threw and keeps on top of the blades than go with a 2 blade Strikemaster.

If your looking for a good auger at a bargain price than get a Eskimo.

The Jiffy blades last forever. The strikemaster blades ice up easy. The Eskimo blades dont cut as fast and need sharpening more often than the Jiffy or Strikemaster but as I say are bargain priced.

If it were me I would go the Jiffy I listed.

Keep a eye out next season I may be selling my Nilsmaster used. By then it will just be getting broken in. wink.gif

Cloyd that chisel wont do ya any good by December. Noisy, slow and hard work. A power auger is the only way to go once we get over 12" of ice. Only time I chisel is 1st ice and then I bring my Nils hand auger. Much cleaner holes and way faster. But hey if you need the exersize. grin.gifwink.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Your said your on a budget and looking for reliability and as light as possible.

IMO there nothing more reliable then StrikeMasters one chipper blade system. I have the original blade(which I've sharpened myself)on an auger thats almost 20 years old.

Brule, I think the Lazer Mag Express is the one I'd prefer for speed and lightness but, given your urgency and the fact that you'd have to hunt around for a good deal to bring it down into your price range, the Eskimo or the 2 hp Strikemaster with the chipper blade seem to be your best bets. Which of the two? Hmmm, toughie. Either one should be fine.

thanks ya'll. im gonna shop around here after the chaotic weekend is over. if i see ya on the ice, you'll know my decision.