• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Aitkin Ice

Guys - Coming up this weekend and was wondering if all the lakes are iced up or is there still a chance to squeeze in one last duck/goose hunt? Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know if Portage is solid yet? Or am I just getting my ice fishing hopes up? Still a little premature to be thinking about getting the pannies out of Portage or any lake in that area??

fleming was 90 percent frozen over on friday, then it rained all night friday night, so much for the ice and snow. fleming and portage are very simular lakes, so I would say it won't freeze again till the end of the week.

was at the lake on tuesday (fleming), and it was 90 percent open. I did drive by rat lake, and it was 90 percent frozen over. with the high winds forcast for the next few days, plan on no walking ice here till the following weekend at best. we need cold nights with no wind.

There is some ice around Emily and Cross Lake as of Tuesday. 2 -3 inches on Emily, Pine and Perry. They should be fishable by this weekend.

Thanks for keeping me posted! I'm back down at school for the next couple of weeks, but xmas break is just around the corner and I would luv to head up to the cabin and try and pick up some early season pannies... A appreciate the updates if u guys could keep the ice reports coming for portage that'd be great! If I get really lucky I might get a chance to get out on sandy or farm island for some eyes if they're frozen enough!!

its looking real good for ice fishing. I would say, by your xmas break, they may be driving trucks on the lake. everything is fozen over, even mille lacs. forcast for very cold temps for the next week, and with no snow on the ice, ice will get thick quickly.

Gosh thats exciting! It sounds like I'll need to spend a nite or two going for some pannies out on Portage and then if I hear anything biting on a nearby walleye lake maybe I'll try that out for a night... I heard that round was giving a couple up, so maybe I'll try there...

I was helping out at a buddies cabin this weekend in McGregor. When we drove by Rat lake there were 2 portables and 2 permanent houses on the lake. Sorry - no fishing report.

There were many portables and wheelers out on Pickeral yesterday. There has been at least one portable out there since last Thursday.

Does any one happen to know if there were any houses out on Portage yet?? I know its kinda off of the beaten path, but was just curious in case someone ventured to the lake...

Thats great to hear that you guys did well out there! I'm not really sure, is Gun close to Portage??

was out on fleming friday, 10 inches of ice near shore, and about 7 inches in the middle of the lake. I pulled my portable with my sled all over with no problems. portage lake is about a carbon copy of fleming, so I would say you are good to go all over with a sled or wheeler. may be able to drive a pickup by next weekend.

fishing was terrible thou, I caught 2 perch. I did not have time to move since it was 4 pm, I could have done better if I had time to relocate.

Great thanks! I will quit bothering about Portage now, i really appreciated you keeping me updated, now that i got some ice to walk on all i got to do is find the fish.. if u hear anything let me know so there's no shocks when i get up there next weekend wink.gif Thanks again and good luck this winter!