• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free Agents??

CNY Tim

Just got a report that the Cardinals Walt Jockety and Tony LaRussa visited with A.J. Burnett. Definitely would be an excellent addition if they can get-r-done...

Hey Tim,

Not free agents, but my beloved Pale Hose took the trade market by storm with a trade that I am not sure whether I like or not. Aaron Rowand to the Phillies for Jim Thome. The Phillies will kick in 22 million of the 46 that he has coming over the next three years so the Sox are on the hook for 8 mil per year, Rowand was getting around 3-4. If they sign Konerko then I will love this trade. The Sox will slide Scotty Pods over to center field and will bring up their hot prospect Brian Anderson to play left. The line up will go lefty/righty for about the first 6 players with Scotty Pods, Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, AJ, Dye and then Crede, Ozuna and Uribe. I hate to see Aaron go but he was just an average hitter with slightly less power than I thought he was capable of and his fielding was bold but sometimes he got bad reads on fly balls. Aside from last year, Thome has been a hitting machine with around 40 dingers and 115 RBI per year. Don't know if he has recovered from elbow surgery and also had a bad back. Another rumor is that the Sox are looking to bag Juan Pierre. If Konerko signs, I think it will be bye bye Big Hurt. If Konerko grows "wings and a halo" then the Sox may go with Thome at 1st and DH the Big Hurt. Any thoughts? Have a great Turkey Day, talk to you soon, Windy. And as usual...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

I can't believe they would let Konerko go, no way.

I wonder if Thome can handle being the DH, I would assume Konerko is a better fielder at this point???

I think the Big Hurt is out of the picture either way.. frown.gif

I agree with you Pier.

Word in the Windy is that they are going to sign Paulie. They want 4 years and he is looking for 5 but they are in the ballpark, no pun intended, on salary. Thome looks to be a steal at about 8 mil per on the Sox end, thanks to Philly picking up 22 of the 46 million for the next three years. I think that they will DH Thome for the most part but will put him in once or twice per week to rest Paulie when they flip flop at DH and 1B. If Konerko grows wings and flys to La La Land then Thome can fill most of his HR and RBI and they can use him and the Big Hurt the same way they were going to use Konerko. Looks to be a win for the Pale Hose if they don't sign Paulie and a huge win if he does sign. Rowand was a grinder but his stats have tanked the last year and his fielding is spectacular at times but nerveracking at other times. Feeling pretty good in the Windy City, glad to see Howry go to the Cubbies, one less bullet for the Injuns next year! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

I know it's tough to except butttt the Big Hurt is History even if Konerko goes they will find someone else...Sorry I know he is your guy....

As a huge twins fan I am very scared to see Chicago get Thome. He can do some dangerous things. HE is as streeky as any hitter in the majors, and with the new steroid rules, he may be going downhill if you know what i mean. At least I hope his best years are behind him.

Thome will play about 40-50 games with his injuries and Thomas might play even less games. If the Sox lose Paul they are going to be hurting at first. And Thomas is nowhere near a gold glove first baseman, and neither is Thome. If Thome can stay healthy and Thomas can with keeping Paul then I would be very scared. But nothing Santana cant handle smile.gif

risky move by the sox, thome has been injury prone the last few years. they may have two dead weights on the team with thome and the big (I am hurt again) hurt.

I think you guys better check the stats on Mr. Thome. As for his being "injury prone" the last few years, that just doesn't match with his stats. He was injured last year and last year only. Prior to that he has played an average of 145 to 150 games a year with about 35-45 dingers and 110-115 RBI. As for the Big Hurt, I think if Paulie signs then Frank is history. If Paulie grows wings and flys to the Halos then I think they resign Frank and DH him and let Thome play first. Remember, Thome had three years left on a contract with a National League team so he had no intentions of being a DH. He said as much in his press conference about an hour ago. His elbow is 100% healed and his back will be something that he will live with for the rest of his life as many ageing players do. He is on an excercise program and says his back is 100% now, but what would you expect him to say. I guess the proof will be in the games played. If the Sox do sign Paul, I think it will be a very long summer for the Twinkies. Cleveland is in better shape to compete with the Sox but they just took a hit in their bullpen, letting Bobby Howry go to the Cubbies for a ton of cash. As Timbuk 3 sang, "The future's so bright...I gotta wear shades". I think the Sox will have some more "kicks" in 2006 and as usual...YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

Quote:

the Sox do sign Paul, I think it will be a very long summer for the Twinkies.

I think based on last years breakthrough season from the Sox and Cleveland... at this point I expect Minny to be picked for third place in the division. Minnesota needs to address the infield problems and add one more good pitcher. I just don't see them spending the dough on a stud.... as usual.

Buzz,

I think you're right, but I hope your wrong. confused.gif

Twins need a big stud or two and likely it won't happen. I also don't expect Chicago to be as good as they were this year, although they could be better. smirk.gif

The Central will probably be the best division in the AL next year.

People, Our Twins won't do a flipping thing this winter again!!! They will sign a few free agents around 2 million a year.

Twins don't need pitching they need hitters who know how to play the game!!!!! I'm not talking hitting for average here. I'm talking about hitting the ball to the oppsite(sp) field with runners on base, bunting runners over, and swinging at strikes!!!!! My God, How many 1-2 run games did we lose last season!!!!!!

I'm glad Newman is not our 3rd base coach anymore. Last season seems to me Newman was scared to send runners home!!

Anyways why are we talking baseball here in Minnesota in late November? We have the Vikings, Timberwolves, Wild, Hockey Gophers, Basketball Man and Ladies gophers, and most important we have Hard water fishing coming real soon. Lets support these team also!!!!!!!

Brian

Well Windy, I can see the Sox wining the division again and probably the WS title. Paul Konerko sign's a 5yr-$60 mil contract to stay with the Sox. Between Konerko and Thome they will combine for more home runs than the whole twins team. The Twins might want to give up now because Pohlad will not spend any money to put a winning team on the field and they will not be able to compete with anyone.

Well Wild,

Don't let the boys rattle you Wild! Things are sure looking bright this holiday season here in the Windy. Cheap rumor is that Kenny Williams next target is Juan Pierre! If the Sox nab him, George Steinbrenner may get a run for his money on spending! Even if the Sox don't nab Pierre, they are sitting pretty right now. I would hate to be a Twins fan right now with the Sox and Injuns looming over my head. It seems that the Twinks just don't want to loosen the purse strings, been there and done that with the Pale Hose in the past. Things look a lot better when your owner gets out the big checkbook! YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD...YES!

I'm not sucking up to anyone, I am looking at this realistic. Do you actually think the Twins will be competitive this coming year?? Common all the Twins have is Hunter, Stewart and Mauer. I will admit they do have good pitching but they don't produce run's they just give them up. I might throw Morneau in that mix but he hasn't proven anything to me yet.

Did you really think the White Sox would be as good as they were last year? Going into last year you probably thought they didn't have anybody either. Most baseball analysts, I, and everyone else didn't. Look what happened.

You also don't know that we won't go out and get someone. The offseason is just starting. After Dec. 7th you will see some moves. I guarantee you the Twins will pick up some bats. Not saying they're going to spend a ton of money, but there will be changes in the offense.

That pitching staff can carry you a long way. Just look at how many one run losses we had last year. A clutch hit here or there and we are looking at a whole different story. Even with ZERO offense, they were able to stay above .500.

The latest positive Twins rumor.

Castillo is due to earn $5 million next season, then become a free agent. His .370 career on-base percentage would make him a good fit for the Twins, who were 10th in the American League in that department last season. The Twins also place a strong emphasis on defense, and Castillo is a two-time Gold Glove winner.

Luis Castillo could be headed to Minnesota. (Elsa / Getty Images)

The Marlins need bullpen help — they're expected to lose free-agent closer Todd Jones and recently traded setup man Guillermo Mota to the Red Sox. The Twins are deep in pitching prospects. They also could offer the Marlins a low-cost veteran reliever — either left-hander J.C. Romero at $2.2 million or right-hander Juan Rincon at $900,000.

The biggest question with Castillo is his health — his stolen-base totals have declined from 48 to 21 to 21 to 10 over the past four seasons.

Castillo, a three-time All-Star, probably will not be the last Marlin traded. Catcher Paul LoDuca is drawing interest from the Padres, Diamondbacks and Rockies, while center fielder Juan Pierre is on the wish list of the Cubs and several other clubs.

web page

Looks like the twins also mentioned being interested in Mike Piazza which would bring some power, as well No-arm....err Nomar Garciaparra.

Huge mistake to give prospects away for aging veterans such as Frank Thomas, Mike Piazza, or any other player past his prime.

I would take Hank Blaylock but the Rangers want too much.

I like Luis Castillo. That would be a huge addition.