• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

practice arrows -vs- broadheads

rabbit lake dude

It's been 12 years since I shot a bow and arrow. I shot well today from 10 to 30 yards. I am heading out to bow hunt in wisconsin the day after muzzle loading ends. My question is? Do broadhead tipped arrows travel diffrently than practice arrows. Do they fall faster? It has been a long time and I can't remember.

Yes, practice with field tips but be sure to fine tune your sights to the broadheads you are using. It can be a big difference.

you certainly want to shoot with one of the broad heads to know how it flies compared to a target pt. as far as the arrow dropping more; there shouldn't be much difference as long as the weights are the same. also , when you mount the broad heads ; be shure to spin the arrow on a table or V block to be certain the head spins true to the shaft.

This was my first year bowhunting but I noticed a slight difference. I've read articles saying that if your bow is tuned right, there should be zero difference. Then I have read articles saying there has to be some difference as they can weigh the same but they are aerodynamically different because of their shapes. I tend to believe the latter and have switched over to practicing exclusively with broadheads. Some may not agree with this method but I don't shoot competitvely and only practice to hunt. It's a little bit more expensive if you lose or wreck an arrow/broadhead combo, but still much cheaper in the long run than shooting trap with my 870. grin.gif

IT should be different. Many of the expandable broad heads will hit in the same spot. However, fixed blades will not hit in the same spot. You need to practice with the broadheads for sure, even if they are expandables.

I've shot 100 grain Thunderheads for the 14 years I've bowhunted. I've had two different bows, 3-4 different models of arrows, aluminum & carbon, my broadheads have always shot basically the same as my field tips. I finally got to the point I just don't bother shooting broadheads unless I change something, but that's just my personal experience.

I will have to agree to disagree with Deitz Dittrich about fixed blades hitting the same as field points. For the past 20 years I have used Bear 4 blade broadheads and they always shot the same as my field points. This year I switched to Slick Trick 100 grain 4 blade broadheads and have shot groups from as far as 60 yards with them and got the same grouping as my field points. I do paper tune my bow at least twice a year and am convinced that if your bow is tuned properly you can shoot the same groups with fixed broadheads or any other type. You may have to try a few different brands but you should be able to find a broadhead that flies the same as your field point.

ok.. I admit.. if you have super tuned your bow you can get broadheads to hit in the same spot. Disreguard my first post.

I would be a little worried about picking up a bow for the first time in 12 years, and expect to be good enough to hunt in a couple of weeks.

It doesn't matter what anyone says about thier broadhead flight, bottom line is you have to be confident. Get out and shoot 'em and see for yourself! You haven't shot archery for a few years (welcome back!) be sure, because you don't normally get a "re-do" and you can't take that arrow back once it leaves your bow. You owe it to the animal and you owe it to yourself to get out there and have a great hunt!

Good Luck,

Mike

I know for a fact that my bow is out of tune. WIth that being said when I started the season I was shooting the same with both tips. Now my broadheads fly low....about 6" low. I don't want to change anything till after this season so I am zeroed in on where my broadheads hit and practice at least once a week still to make sure I'm still on.

I will need a new string and cable at the end of the season and can't wait to get all my components tuned-in to eachother.

There are a ton of variables that can play havoc with how specific heads will fly.

All of the folding blade heads I have shot will, or tend to, shoot more like a field point. Toss on a fixed blade head and I see a marked difference in flight and where they hit.

Without fail, if you ASSUME that those arrows are going where you see them go with practice points when you toss on a broadhead, you are courting problems. Period. You need to shoot those new heads, with the blades in them, to know for a fact where they are going and make the needed changes to the bow/sights/arrows. If you are fortunate enough to find that nothing has to change after four or five shooting sessions, fine. At least you have done what needs to be done. As a rule though, if you change ANYTHING (rest, peep,arrow shaft, head weight, broadhead style, knocking point) after the bow has been tuned and set up to shoot one arrow/head combination you'll need to make, at the least, some minor adjustments. This needs to be a done deal before the season begins.

great advise guys, i will consider all of the advise. quick question. will my shooting block work with broadheads for practice. i have a multi paper layer shooting block, works great for practice arrows!!

I agree with the above that when my bow is tuned I don't have to adjust between my field tips and broad heads.

I shoot a "Block" for both field tips and broad heads. Usually "sharper" blades won't wreck the target as much but you'll want to save the new ones for hunting. Everytime I shoot a broadhead I save the blades for practicing. When the old blades get really dull I throw them away. Since I've been shooting the same heads for about 8 years I've built up quite a collection of practice blades.