• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shooting times!

delta hunter

I don't understand something and maybe you guys can help me out here! I don't understand why a person can only duck hunt right up until sunset but a person can hunt a half hour after sunset during deer hunting and etc.. Just wanted to stat the I am for dividing the state up into two different duck seasons. Just think it would bring more $ into the DNR!

I would think that the need to identify species and sex is the main reason. Most people have a tough enough time with that during high skies.

Pheasant hunting is also sunset.

Deer and ducks.

Apples and oranges.

DNR wants deer removed, I have yet to see where they want ducks removed.

When did that change? It's been till sunset as long as I have been going there, although I didn't go this year.

I think the reason that they close it at sunset is because after sunset ducks are way too easy to get. They will come barreling into the roost without even a thought.

It also helps to keeps the ducks in an area longer. If you are shooting them off the roost every night, they will be gone in no time.

The reason the DNR closes waterfowl hunting at sun set is because of tracking wounded birds. You can track a deer after dark because you have a blood trail, you can't track a duck or goose over the water.

Another thing to note about the sunset is that sunset time is when the sun touches the horizon and not when the sun is all the way below the horizon. I just read this recently and honestly thought it was when the sun disappeared, you could no longer legally shoot.

Obviously on cloudy days or there is a large hill to the west you defer to the actual time on a watch and the time listed in the sunrise/sunset tables.

As mentioned earlier, some of the reasoning is that you cannot track birds and is one of the reasons sunset is the end time.

Sunset is when the table says it is. That is the rule and there is an offset depending on your location east or west. It is acccurate and not dependant on fog, clouds or even the bluebird cloudless day. You have no judgment calls on this. It's hard enough to identify ducks in the light. You can not argue that you shot two hen mallards because of lack of light. Two hen mallards=violation. Shooting 4 minutes after table times=violation.{No matter where the sun is on your particular lake). Have the table with you. Have an accurate watch. Some judge may buy your excuses and let you off but the C.O. should and hopefully will write the violation.

well put ddsbyday. with those tools previously stated, you can't go wrong.

again, well put............loc9