• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

With nearly a month passing by since my last outing in the area, I finally made a trip to the MN River. cool.gif It always seems like every year when I think I'm really going to fish the fall bite around here hard, either work gets in the way or I end up making multiple trips to the Rainy River or Mille Lacs. wink.gif I guess a person can't have it all, but at any rate, back to business. It sure was nice to get back out on the water around here and the weather more than cooperated. And the fish did too. grin.gif

Upon my arrival at the landing in St. Peter, I knew it was going to be a day of patience and pitching. The river (and flow) was up, water clarity was down, and the skies above were very overcast. Should be a dynamite day of pitching to current seams and shallow, slack water holding baitfish, right? Well, sort of. confused.gif I fished from ~9:30 am until 5:00 pm and managed to catch 6 fish. The best parts about these 6 fish was that nobody saw me catch any of them and the smallest fish was 22.5" and the biggest was just shy of 28". grin.gifgrin.gif The worst part was that it took 7.5 hours to get those fish. mad.gif By no means, were these fish "jumping" in the boat. In fact, each fish I caught was very hesitant to bite. With the water temperature being in the high 30's, these fish aren't exactly tearing up and down the river. I caught each fish pitching a 1/16 oz. Northland FireBall jig in orange and charteuse tipped with a fat head minnow. The presentation included anchoring my boat outside of a current seam on a shoreline that included rip-rap and shale that was adjacent to a shallow 8' mud flat. I was pitching right to the bank and then bringing it back to the boat as slow as I could possibly stand. This was a mind-numbing day of trying to catch fish but I guess, ultimately, my patience paid off. It also turned out to be the wrong day to forget my camera. confused.gifmad.gif Sorry, no pics of the piggies. Each one of the 6 fish were fat and very healthy. That 28" fish was easily 8.5 pounds.

Not sure how long this "bite" may last but it is definitely worth another shot. I may be targeting the 'eyes on Madison a few more times before ice-up but that is all weather-dependent.

Good luck out there and keep your tip up!

I did the same thing a week ago (north of the landing), but the fish just weren't doing anything - that's why I headed over to Madison for the crappies - it was worth the trip!

A fish an hour last weekend wasn't much either but the quality of fish kept me pitching. If I would have been catching 15" fish, I would not have stuck around for more than an hour. I'm glad I have more patience than most!

Also glad to hear that there are more FM'ers meeting each other. Hope you guys got on some fish.

Pikeliker, sorry it took so long to respond. It was nice to meet you.

I caught one walleye that day, but it was a tad over 28"!! I caught it about 30ft N of where you were before you left.

danj

Very nice fish Dan! I wonder if it was the same one that wacked my minnow off on that earlier cast! grin.gif Good job!

~piker

grin.gif Thanks danJ! Yes and then some I think. Too bad it was a carp! smirk.gif It was a great fight, especially since I hooked him in the dorsal fin! Oh well, it got my blood pumping for sure.

later ~piker

Nothing wrong with a fiesty carp. Been there many times with all of the shallow water that I fish during the open water season.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.
    • monstermoose78
      Guys slim creek on burntside is the place to load up on smelt

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.