• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille lacs boats?

big musk411

Thinking about getting an alumacraft 185 dual console navigator. I currently have a 16ft that cant quite handle big water, any suggestions on moving to the next level?

big musk411,

im partial to walleye fishing, but i believe warrior is the best boat for mille lacs.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I dream of Warriors, but I am a young guy at 23 and am looking at spending around $20,000. Any suggestions for this price range?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you're willing to buy used you have lots of options including Warrior. Just about any 16 -20 foot boat will work great on Mille Lacs. The fiberglass boats like yarcraft, warrior, tuffy and ranger will keep you a bit dyer during rough conditions than aluminum. Although aluminum boats like alumacraft, lund, crestliner, smokercraft, etc will generally be a bit more reasonable. However, the pricing gap is not as large now as it used to be. But a lightly used boat will be a bargin compared to a new one in most cases. Plus they generally come fully rigged.

You'll get a lot of personal prefernce in a thread like this. Truth be told I've fished in a lot of heavy water on Mille Lacs in a deep 16 foot aluminum boat that many would say is not an ideal Mille Lacs rig. It'll a ll come down to what you like and can afford.

Good Luck in your search.

I got a 18.5 Foot Fiberglass boat. I love it out on the big pond. The guy that has a fish house next to me in the summer time has a 18 foot Crestliner and sits in the fish house on the slightly windy days while I am out fishing (or we will both jump in my boat). I know he will get quit wet on days were there is much of a wave. I too have been thinking about getting another boat, and I know my next one will be something Fiberglass or something that will keep me dry (Crestliner or Lund with a FULL Console). I like the small side consoles for fishing on the calm days. But I know that I would not be out fishing if I was not comfortable.

So, as I am also young (25) I have been looking at alot of USED boats. If you look around you will find some good deals. And Like it was already said, most of the time it is fully loaded!

Go used. In MN you don't have to pay sales tax on a used boat from a private party. Only on the trailer's current value. That alone buys a lot of electronics. Same for snowmobiles.

And you don't have to be 100% on with the price of the trailer either!!!!

Gizmo are you ready for some hard water? Won't be long and we'll headed for the gravel.

Have you heard whether Terry McQuoid has purchased Dickies Portside for sure? Talk was that he was and that the road would extend to the flats and we could get pulled out there with our big houses. Bill

great post borch!

my last boat was a '64 starcraft runabout that the metal bow was cut out from and a fishing platform and pedistal seat put in its place. i ran a '84 25hp evenrude short shaft on its 15" transom with NO splash well. when i got it i used the 6 gal tank right against the transom. my seat was right next to the transom too. one day out of fishers, by myself in 4 ft waves, i was taking off up wind after a drift and the wind caught the bow...i thought i was going over backwards! after that day i put a plastic 16 gal gas tank in the bow! except for not being able to backtroll in any kind of wind, it was a pretty safe boat after that. then, there was the '67 18'lund w/side counsel & '84 60hp merc. the guy i got it from used it for trailering to as far as the roads go in canada. it was a bunk trailer that you could put another '16 foot aluminum on upside down. there are lots of stories i could tell about that one. there still is another, but this is getting long...

you are absolutely right, you get what you can afford at the time. im 53 and ive been fishing since i was 5 years old. im at a point in my life that i have decided to make changes over the course of this year, while i still have my health... it really all started with having a "dream boat" idea...thats another story. i found a deal on a warrior that was used one year but was still a current year. i agree, that is the best way to go...sales tax, loaded boat w/extras. incidentally, the guy i got my boat from is selling his '06 right now as far as i know. i bought his '05 in april last spring. this year he had a green & grey polyflake w/115 yamaha 4-stoke. side bar: he said next year he is going back to the optimax because of the hole shot. ive got it in to the dealer for winterization right now and asked them if they could tweek the rpms for trolling and top end. ive read about 450rpm digital trolldown from a couple of places. the guy i talked to just got back from mercury school and said they had troubles running that slow because the fuel pump runs from the alternator in the engine and when its going that slow it doesnt provide enough juice to the pump. they said 550 is about as low as they will go. ill see if they can get it!

regards,

minnesotatuff

Musk - If you're looking for new, the '06 Crestliner 1750 Fish Hawk is wider and longer than the '05 model which would be a plus on Mille Lacs.

You can also get the dual console option on this rig and you should be in the neighborhood of $20k.

The '05 will be quite a bit cheaper (not sure if you can get dual console though) if you can find one.

Note you can pretty much only get a Merc on the '06 Crestliner models whereas you have more motor choices if you go with the Alumacraft.

DB

I used a Lund Pro V for 10 years and fished the big water a lot. There is nothing wrong with an aluminum boat. The fishability of most of them is great. I loved the lay-out of that boat and since then they have only gotten better. The last few years I've fished out of a Warrior. There is a night and day difference. The Warrior is a much drier, smoother and softer ride. Boat shopping is a blast. Just take your time and enjoy it, you will get something that works great for you. There are lots of great options in that price range including warrior.

Jason Erlandson

bturck, we finally going to meet this year? Terry sold the Inn and the person that bought it bought Dickie's too. Arron Mcquoid was trying to buy it according to Dickie. But I guess that deal fell thru. Hope to get up soon and finish the renovations I did to the shack. I hope to get on the same spot this year.

gizmo: Sure hope you and I can run into each other this year. It seemed last year you were running into the boys, Dan and Brad, but you and I were always on off weekends.

Dan and I are headed up Friday morning to reside the house with some aluminum siding. Not sure what the color is but I think we're going to replace the NW Airline duck. I'll let you know.

Headed to SD next Wed to finish out the pheasant hunting season and then its time to think about some hardwater action. LOW on 12/26 for some eyes and saugs, I've got the schedule pretty well put together LOL. Have a great Thanksgiving. Bill

SC, DC, or full windshield? I have a full windshield on mine and love my full camper-top. I have been on Mille Lacs in some uncomfortable conditions and stayed warm and dry.

Plus, if I ever want the wife to come out again, she has to be comfortable.

(Hmmm...maybe I sould get a SC...)